Thread: fat adapted running page

relaygirl is offline Senior Member

fat adapted running

I am sure this has been posted-I just wanted to put it at the top for athletes who are trying to adapt that I have read posts about recently-

I have had a hard summer trying to get even close to my former times. Here is an article that I found interesting-

Western States 100 – Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon – Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study | Me and My Diabetes

abqandrea is offline Junior Member
    Unfortunately for the true keto'ers out there, Olsen did consume a fair amount of carbs/gels during the race. He consumed less than average, certainly, but over a long race like that where you are moving relatively slowly (compared to a 5 or 10K), you can burn mostly fat ANYWAY. So.... maybe his 1200kcal of pure carbs were enough to offset moving at a 75% MHR for 15 hours.

I'm not picking on your post, I was very excited when I first saw the article but a bit disappointed that he "cheated" a bit if you're looking at it from strict ketosis perspective.

I'm a longtime runner, as well, and we have many parallels from half-marathon PR to binge eating. Cheers and thank you for your posts in general.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yay, a running thread.

I have recently started running again. I am using a heart rate monitor to keep my heart rate at 180 - age, which is very slow at my age. This is supposed to help me build a good aerobic base, which I totally lack. It's helped me stick to the running that's for sure. I always burn out after a couple weeks. I've been running now for a month.

I eat fairly low carb. The only carbs I usually get are from things like tomatoes or beets or now and then some yams or fresh figs. Rarely I'll have a little rice, but this is not even weekly.

I think my body resists the fat-burning state with all its might. This weekend I went for a run fasted, without breakfast. My stomach was growling. About half hour to 45 minutes in, the growling stopped and I suddenly felt energetic and good. I was able to continue for another 2 hours and never felt tired or anything.

This seems to happen often. The first half hour is really hard and then something switches over and I have plenty of energy and feel happy. I wonder if that's when my body finally switches over to using fat for energy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yay, a running thread.

I have recently started running again. I am using a heart rate monitor to keep my heart rate at 180 - age, which is very slow at my age. This is supposed to help me build a good aerobic base, which I totally lack. It's helped me stick to the running that's for sure. I always burn out after a couple weeks. I've been running now for a month.

I eat fairly low carb. The only carbs I usually get are from things like tomatoes or beets or now and then some yams or fresh figs. Rarely I'll have a little rice, but this is not even weekly.

I think my body resists the fat-burning state with all its might. This weekend I went for a run fasted, without breakfast. My stomach was growling. About half hour to 45 minutes in, the growling stopped and I suddenly felt energetic and good. I was able to continue for another 2 hours and never felt tired or anything.

This seems to happen often. The first half hour is really hard and then something switches over and I have plenty of energy and feel happy. I wonder if that's when my body finally switches over to using fat for energy.
    I used to notice the same thing on long bike rides, though now I think I an constantly in a state of fat burning so don't get this anymore (I'm running once a week at the moment covering 10 miles in about 1 hr 40 mins)
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................