Thread: Techniques for making sandwich wraps with cabbage page

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member

Techniques for making sandwich wraps with cabbage

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a nice wrap stay together using cabbage or lettuce. I do like turkey deli meat, is that primal? And cheese, yes i know that is not primal.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    i have lettuce wraps all the time

You need to find a fresh lettuce, bang it in the fridge and chop the stem off.

If your taking to work then take it all seperately or your fillings will make the lettuce soggy/soft.

the lettuce needs to be crispy

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For cabbage, I remove the outer cabbage leaves, steam them for a few minutes till they soften, immerse in the ice-cold water in the sink, drain in a colander, let drip dry on a paper towel, then cut off the back of the thick portion of the leaf. Wrap whatever desired in the leaf, secure with the toothpicks. If the leaves break apart, I make mini rolls, the size of the Vietnamese salad rolls. Great with an oriental dip.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    And there is nothing wrong with cheese. This is verboten in strict PALEO but not in PRIMAL. Mark leaves this one up to the individual to decide. Some people digest it fine others don't.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for advice. I love cheese, especially pizza so I could never give that up.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A nice item to use for rollups is a sheet of nori - the stuff with which they wrap sushi. It's expensive at Whole Foods, but not so much at Amazon. Lends a nice earthy taste.

Shari Bambino is offline Junior Member
    I love to use collards as wraps. You just steam them and remove the thick stem. You can find video how-to's if you google raw vegan wraps. I also like romaine lettuce leaves as a wrap. No steaming required but I don't like the texture quite as much as the collards.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Okay, so my people (Israelis, especially Eastern Israelis) really dig on "mi'mulaim", which are chunks of meat and rice wrapped up in some kind of vegetable. The traditional mimulaim are made with something like cabbage (where you boil/steam the cabbage leaves for quite some time) and wrap the filling (meat, potatoes, veg and/or rice).

So to start I recommend starting with cabbage. Steam/cook the cabbage for quite some time until it is very soft and then tear resistant. Thenfor the filling (paleo, as I am paleo too), take some ground beef, paprika, cinamon, cumin, salt, pepper and onion, shove it inside, and warp it so it is like a big fat joint. Or cigar. Or something about an inch wide and 3 or 4 inches long. Then you take a whole bunch of those, pack them in the bottom of a pan, add in water, chicken stock, tomato, more paprika, salt, pepper, baharat (spice), etc, and slow cook for 30 more minutes.

All done. Yummy to eat.

--Me

EDIT: As you get more advanced you can use cauliflower, lettuce, bell peppers, etc as the outside wrap of the food.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a nice wrap stay together using cabbage or lettuce. I do like turkey deli meat, is that primal? And cheese, yes i know that is not primal.
    Use these:

Pure Wraps Stock Pure Wraps, The - ORIGINAL, 4 wraps/1.98 oz. (raw, alkaline, gluten-free), Main Website | Sunfood.com

I love 'em.