Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for dealing with traffic stress? page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Tips for dealing with traffic stress?

Primal Fuel
    My drive to work just changed from 20 minutes each way to 45-60 minutes each way. I am accumulating stress very quickly from just this commute, not to mention my newer job is faster-paced and more stressful. Anybody have any tips for calming down during the commute, at the very least? My shoulders are extremely tight at 8am in the morning, before I even start work!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Air Horn... works for me =).
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    loud aggressive rock music
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    Listen to Robb Wolf's "Paleo Solution Podcast"

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i had the exact same change a little over a month ago. luckily, i pick up a kick ass radio station and that gets me focused. but, i know there are going to be days where i'm going to need more than that, so i'm going to head to my library and get some books on cd or something like that. if you're sitting in your car for that long, you might as well use your brain...listen to a story, learn a language, or the podcast idea from trpassasin is good too.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Motorcycle. Split the lanes. Laugh at everybody stuck bumper-to-bumper.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Just remember that getting mad at someone on the road only ruins your day, not theirs. They may not even know that they did anything wrong while you stew over it all day. Just let it go.
    Also driving the speed limit works for me; let everyone else wanting to drive 90 mph fight over lane changes and slower traffic.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Just remember that getting mad at someone on the road only ruins your day, not theirs. They may not even know that they did anything wrong while you stew over it all day. Just let it go.
    Also driving the speed limit works for me; let everyone else wanting to drive 90 mph fight over lane changes and slower traffic.
    Yeah, that works for me, too. You end up with no traffic around you because everybody else is fighting each other in these 80mph little bubbles that form.

I have an old pickup truck, 4cyl, 2wd. The speedometer only goes up to 85. I was driving across Utah where the speed limit is sometimes 80mph. No way am I going to go that fast in my old truck. I couldn't half the time even if I wanted to. On the grades I'm in the truck lane with all the slow trucks in 3rd gear chugging my way up. It's not so bad to go slow, really.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, that works for me, too. You end up with no traffic around you because everybody else is fighting each other in these 80mph little bubbles that form.

I have an old pickup truck, 4cyl, 2wd. The speedometer only goes up to 85. I was driving across Utah where the speed limit is sometimes 80mph. No way am I going to go that fast in my old truck. I couldn't half the time even if I wanted to. On the grades I'm in the truck lane with all the slow trucks in 3rd gear chugging my way up. It's not so bad to go slow, really.
    No, it's not. I sometimes get caught up with keeping up with traffic and then I'll realize that I'm not in a hurry. I always try to leave in time to get where I'm going on time driving the speed limit. Maybe that's what over people do too, get caught up in a competitive driving game with others.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I like most of the suggestions so far. Music, books on tape/cd, start learning a language etc. Make it a productive time! This is why I prefer driving Boyfriend's car over riding my scooter: there's nothing to entertain me on the scooter except my own thoughts.

I don't drive on the highway for my commute, so going the speed limit is actually my only option (30mph roads, and 30 mph scooter), but when I was still fairly new to driving last year, the commutes were a perfect time to practice/perfect my stopping and starting with a standard transmission. If you have access to a car with a standard transmission and have a lot of stop and start traffic, maybe you could use that time to teach yourself how to drive stick (if you don't already know) .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast