Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for dealing with traffic stress? page 2

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've always been a fairly aggressive, speedy driver, but when I moved to a very congested place - I did eventually learn that aggression == frustration. Slowing things down and timing myself helped me calm down alot. Trying to shave a bare couple minutes off my time wasn't worth the aggravation, and that's all it ever was - maybe 5 minutes max, but usually not more than 2 or 3. Definitely not enough time to be worth being in a p*ssy mood all morning.

Also - audio books rock. They make the commute fly by, and the narrator's voice overrides the angry commentary in your head. Not sure about where you live, but our library has lots of them that you can download for 30 days. You can put them on your phone and listen through your auxillary jack. I can also have my Kindle read me the economist or other magazines. The narration is like Stephen Hawkings, but you get used to it. In the afternoon though, we have a local radio show that I usually enjoy.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely try the podcast/audiobook suggestions because my music ain't cutting it. My situation is in congestion, not freeway distance, so it's extremely frustrating for me in terms of how some people move too slowly, cut-offs, etc.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you on the commute. I currently drive 100 miles in LA traffic, work 90 minutes, then drive 100 miles home. So depending on the day it's around 4 hours in the car. I don't have any suggestions to offer, just able to sympathize.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Draw crosshairs on the inside of your windshield with a dry erase marker, along with "Missiles Armed". Then attach a little button to your steering wheel or gear shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Draw crosshairs on the inside of your windshield with a dry erase marker, along with "Missiles Armed". Then attach a little button to your steering wheel or gear shifter.
    Brilliant!
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    The best thing I ever did for my traffic stress/ desire to seriously maim stupid drivers was start taking the bus. Yes, the length of time I commute increased, but now I can listen to my headphones and read a book on the way to and from work. Plus I built myself in a half mile walk each way, just by not taking a transfer bus.

It's a pretty good method for cooling off after a stressful day. Also MUCH cheaper than gas and parking downtown...

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    The best thing I ever did for my traffic stress/ desire to seriously maim stupid drivers was start taking the bus. Yes, the length of time I commute increased, but now I can listen to my headphones and read a book on the way to and from work. Plus I built myself in a half mile walk each way, just by not taking a transfer bus.

It's a pretty good method for cooling off after a stressful day. Also MUCH cheaper than gas and parking downtown...
    I am going to try this next week. I can't wait to start walking again

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Slipknot at about 115 decibels works for me. Or you could come over here and drive in Cairo for awhile, any other cities' traffic is nothing after that.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Air Horn... works for me =).
    You sound like my husband. He put an air horn on his RAV4.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    We recently had a seminar on handling stress. The speaker mentioned traffic. She suggested if something gets you upset don't carry it with you. If you have to get pissed at the idiot and then let it go. Don't dwell on it. Easier said than done, but I'll try almost anything once.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast