Thread: Primal Journal: FaceEraser page

FaceEraser is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal: FaceEraser

Primal Fuel
    It took a few days, but my account finally got activated and I can start posting here!

A little background:

Up until about 2 and a half years ago I had a typical american diet. Fast food close to 5 days a week for lunch, probably no breakfast, tons of soft drinks, lots of frozen dinners. Despite all this I stuck around 185lbs for most of my teenage years and into my early twenties. I had zero athletic background (aside from a year long stint in karate when I was 10, which I loved). I occasionally participated in sports in PE class, but I was never a regular exerciser. I mostly played video games and guitar. My first real experience with any sort of "diet" was when I moved in with a girlfriend and started to adopt some of her vegetarian/vegan ways. I don't remember too much of the specifics, but I know there was a lot of pasta and soy.

We didn't have a scale in the apartment, so I never really noticed my weight creeping up. The first time I was aware of it was at work when another employee commented "man, that shirt is really showing off your beer gut!" I guess I also did a fair amount of drinking at this particular part of my life as well. Long story short, at some point my weight had hit 220lbs. Not bad considering I am 6'3", but I was heading in the wrong direction.

Fast forward to 2010, some big changes had happened in my life over the course of the previous 2 years. I was back at home and decided I was going to get back in to martial arts (I loved it when I was a kid, after all.) I signed up at an MMA gym and got hooked on Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu.

Even on a craptacular diet, the exercise was enough to get me down to 185lbs. I trained enough to compete 3 times last year at 172lbs (after a weight cut.) My diet improved, but I never really had a set plan. I discovered Marks Daily Apple about 2 months ago, and a lot of what he says makes sense to me and corroborates much of what I already suspected from my own experience. All in all my diet hasn't changed THAT much, but I've dropped grains as one of my sources of carbs for training. I've upped my vegetable and fat intake, and eat fruit centered around my training. Some days I only do an hour of boxing, others I might have 2 hours back to back of striking and grappling. Some days might be 3 hours total if I decide to get strength training in there.

I know Mark doesn't advocate a lot of cardio, but it's just a byproduct of doing something I love to do, so I'm not too worried about it. My main goal is to put on some good lean muscle, and drop some body fat. Even at 186, I'm pretty soft around the midsection. However, in the last 2 months I've made progress on my big lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench) and am really enjoying the fact that I'm probably eating MORE and than I ever did before reading through this site (and I haven't put on a pound, just gotten stronger.)

I still have some work to do on my diet. I love peanut butter. I can't really afford to eat organic/grass fed and all that good stuff, but some day I will. I'm curious to see how this goes, and what kind of adjustments I will have to make when I start the REALLY intense conditioning when it comes time to get ready to fight again. I'm going to give brief descriptions of my meals and training from day to day as consistently as I can. Advice is welcome, I look forward to hearing from the community!

Breakfast and lunch (just cooked a double portion of breakfast and split it in half to take to work for lunch)

10 strips bacon
    sauteed in bacon grease: broccoli, zucchini, red onions, garlic, red pepper, kale.
    Also had 5 whole eggs (scrambled in with the half of the veggies I made for breakfast)
    2 cups of coffee w/cream. Oh yeah, while I'm thinking about it: I keep seeing people saying they have their coffee with "heavy cream." What is heavy cream?? Do they mean a lot of creamer, or a specific kind of creme???

Snacked on mixed nuts (no peanuts) at work in addition to my lunch.

Had a few grapes and a half cup of coffee when I got home from work

I have ringworm at the moment, so I haven't been able to go to the gym. I have some gear set up in the garage though.

3x3 minute rounds skipping, 4x3 double end bag, 4x3 heavy bag. 3x10 hyperextensions, 3xf pullups.
    According to my Polar FT7 I burned about 750 calories in 50 minutes. My resting heart rate is currently about 50 bpm if anyone cares to know.

Post meal (didn't feel like cooking):

Greek yogurt with 1 scoop strawberry whey, handful of mixed nuts, 1/4 cup (approx) blueberries, 4 strawberries, 1 tbs flax, 1 tbs peanut butter (I know, I know)

Breakfast and lunch today pretty much the same as yesterday. Ran out of kale though. Also put some mozzarella on there. Lifting today before work. Squats, bench, and then some rotational core work.

Totally went off the wagon last night. Went to a friends to watch the Chavez/Martinez fight. Pizza and beer ensued.

DCarr10760 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi and welcome!

There are different types of cream, basically starting with half and half, which is half cream and half milk, then light cream, then heavy cream. Heavy cream is getting harder to find these days, there is whipping cream readily available which is heavy cream, but has guar gum added to it to stabilize it when it's whipped to avoid separation.

The whole point is to increase the fat content. Heavy cream is almost entirely fat, with essentially zero carbs. I usually go with light cream, less than 1 gram of carbs per tablespoon, which is readily available on the east coast in quarts, when I can't find heavy cream.

Good luck!

DC
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5