Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny fat?? page

froggie is offline Member

Question Skinny fat??

Shop Now
    OK so I've been primal for an entire month! Yay!

Been reading a lot in particular the forums, and then back to the web, to realize that I am probably the skinny fat kind now: I used to exercise loads, not so much now, and while I look good in clothes I hate wearing a bikini because my abs are spelled F-L-A-B-S and overall I'm lacking tone-ness. Somehow I thought I was still pretty fit because I used to run/do tris etc. My running has slowed way down, and it's been years actually. (Coincidentally since my son, almost 4 years ago!!!

Came to this realization in a funny way mind you; the forums were saying the bodyfat scale is BS, and I thought great! I better check my real BF then, cause I knew that had to be wrong (and so I wasn't exactly paying attention to it)... A couple nights ago, I ran not just one but TWO tape tests -- you know, to be certain -- and sure enough I'm made of 30% fat. Ouch. The scale wasn't far actually.

I started tracking my food right away!! And made some adjustments to reduce carbs and keep calories in check (i.e. replace carbs with fat, not just add loads of fat and keep eating fruit like it's primal in unlimited volume...)

My questions are: how long does it take to be truly fat adapted? I started playing around with IF, with my first 24 hour fast (convenient because on business trip and trade shows = crap food). All is good; or is it? Is IF worthless if you're not yet fat adapted?
    How far can you push IF to maximize fat loss? What has worked for you?

I am 5'5, about 129 lbs, and I am trying to follow 120 g of fat + 50-60 g of protein + max 30 g of carbs daily, around 1,300 calories. I don't care to lose lbs per se, but rather cut my body fat - gasp - in half!

What are realistic results? I've read drastic results start almost immediately with the primal lifestyle when one is overweight -- does it take longer for skinny fat people then cause it's more a change in the makeup (body composition) than body weight?

As far as exercising goes, I'm following the BPF ebook; minus the pull up bar. Need to hook one up. Soon...

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Whoa whoa whoa. Red flag...

1300 Calories??? You need to consume much more. What is a usual day's menu for you?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    I am 5'5, about 129 lbs, and I am trying to follow 120 g of fat + 50-60 g of protein + max 30 g of carbs daily, around 1,300 calories. I don't care to lose lbs per se, but rather cut my body fat - gasp - in half!
    More protein. Lots more. About twice as much. And you probably need more food overall. You're already thin. You don't want to diet. You want to change your body composition.

As for realistic results. I think if you are doing strength training you will feel results fairly quickly, feel yourself progress, feel yourself getting stronger, feel the muscles getting firm. But real and lasting visual results, eye-popping stuff, will take a lot longer.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm no mathematician, but at 5'5", 1300 calories could certainly be maintenance for many a sedentary person. But to change body comp, I agree on at least doubling the protein - which would easily fix any caloric "deficit" or lack of excess, rather, and should, barring hormonal issues, etc., get your body to lay down muscle and use up more fat throughout the day. And lift heavy, it won't give you man-muscles overnight.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

froggie is offline Member
    I'm definitely not starving myself if that's any explanation. Not hungry between meals.
    Only started tracking food recently, I'm getting the below from a day this week which is pretty typical for me.
    I want to keep carbs low, but I'm no restricting the fat/protein.

Let see...
    BFAST:
    2 or 3 slices of bacon with 1 or 2 eggs (scrambled with bacon fat or in olive oil)
    tea (plain)

LUNCH:
    Loaded salad: romaine, with 2 eggs, cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes (or avocado, etc.) with balsamic vinegar + EVOO
    2 Tbsp Almond butter
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of full fat organic yogurt with drizzle of honey

DINNER:
    100g Cantaloupe
    6oz Salmon (sautéed in butter)
    1oz of goat cheese

SparkPeople est: 1,344

My activity level is rather sedentary with some active play (with toddler) and limited walking (the dogs!).

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. Red flag...
    1300 Calories??? You need to consume much more. What is a usual day's menu for you?
    Not necessarily. A lot of people said the same thing to me when I was losing weight on my calorie counting thread. This may be where her metabolism is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    More protein. Lots more. About twice as much. And you probably need more food overall. You're already thin. You don't want to diet. You want to change your body composition.

As for realistic results. I think if you are doing strength training you will feel results fairly quickly, feel yourself progress, feel yourself getting stronger, feel the muscles getting firm. But real and lasting visual results, eye-popping stuff, will take a lot longer.
    I think a little more protein but not twice as much. Maybe 75-85 g.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    I'm definitely not starving myself if that's any explanation. Not hungry between meals.
    Only started tracking food recently, I'm getting the below from a day this week which is pretty typical for me.
    I want to keep carbs low, but I'm no restricting the fat/protein.

Let see...
    BFAST:
    2 or 3 slices of bacon with 1 or 2 eggs (scrambled with bacon fat or in olive oil)
    tea (plain)

LUNCH:
    Loaded salad: romaine, with 2 eggs, cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes (or avocado, etc.) with balsamic vinegar + EVOO
    2 Tbsp Almond butter
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of full fat organic yogurt with drizzle of honey

DINNER:
    100g Cantaloupe
    6oz Salmon (sautéed in butter)
    1oz of goat cheese

SparkPeople est: 1,344

My activity level is rather sedentary with some active play (with toddler) and limited walking (the dogs!).
    I think that looks pretty perfect. I eat less carbs than that (no fruit) and a little more fat but about the same calories and I'm a lot taller. Try doing planks for the midsection. They are something you don't need a gym for. Have you downloaded the PBFitness ebook yet? Great stuff.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    It looks like your food is good, could use a bit more protein like others have said. If you follow PB Fitness and get in bodyweight exercises 2x weekly and a sprint, I think your composition will change rapidly. Are you exercising now?
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Not necessarily. A lot of people said the same thing to me when I was losing weight on my calorie counting thread. This may be where her metabolism is right now.
    Ditto. Too bad Calorie-counting turned into obsession for me. Never going back to that!

But, I just realized something: I honestly thought the OP was a guy, not a girl, hence my "red flag" response. Sorry!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking that if you want to change your body composition you're going to have to get more primal movement in (ie "lift heavy things"!). I am guessing that due to your weight, height and BF% that you're reasonably low in muscle (only based on my own knowledge of me... as my weight and BF% are very similar to yours, but I'm 6" shorter...and I've only got a small/medium body frame too, so it's not as if I'm massively built). I think once you start building your muscle, you'll also find it easier to remove some of the extra fat. Of course, fat adaptation helps!

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I used to be skinny fat too. I'm 6' 1" and started primal back in April when I weighed about 175. I'm now about 168 but leaner and more muscular. The difference is Primal eating and Primal exercise. I do mostly pullups, chinups, and pushups which have done wonders to build muscle and harden my abs. I could be a little less flabby, but have made a conscious decision to not give up beer - it's one of life pleasure I simply enjoy. I also don't count calories at all and probably eat more fruit than most of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast