Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skinny fat?? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm not disciplined enough to do the PB fitness exercises on my own so I take a class called Pump + Abs that does a lot of core fitness things. We do squats and planks and things like that but we sometimes use small weights or bands to add intensity or stability balls or small balls to support the back when doing ab things. I know a lot of people scoff at such things, but since I had to start at zero basically, it's been very helpful for me. Plus being a class, I just show up and follow the leader. And since there is an instructor, I can ask questions when a particular movement is hurting me and she'll help me either modify it so it doesn't hurt or tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I'm thinking that if you want to change your body composition you're going to have to get more primal movement in (ie "lift heavy things"!). I am guessing that due to your weight, height and BF% that you're reasonably low in muscle (only based on my own knowledge of me... as my weight and BF% are very similar to yours, but I'm 6" shorter...and I've only got a small/medium body frame too, so it's not as if I'm massively built). I think once you start building your muscle, you'll also find it easier to remove some of the extra fat. Of course, fat adaptation helps!
    You know, I just realized that because I used to run a lot and I am pretty strong (as in: can carry things, can run several miles and feel no soreness the same day, and well, I look 'mostly' skinny) I thought I was fit. Reality is that I run less than once a week, my exercise regimen consists of the body weight exercises from PB Fitness (recently) and Bikram yoga once a week. How could I stay fit!?

I will up the play time, and definitely add the sprints in, and of course lift heavy. Where do you start, follow the work out of the day? Or just stick to BPF and add intensity?

When I work up the courage I will post pictures I'm not too far from this:
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/wp-c...kinny-Fat1.jpg

Though it took me a while to accept it
    Last edited by froggie; 09-14-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Quote Originally Posted by bdlee73 View Post
    I used to be skinny fat too. I'm 6' 1" and started primal back in April when I weighed about 175. I'm now about 168 but leaner and more muscular. The difference is Primal eating and Primal exercise. I do mostly pullups, chinups, and pushups which have done wonders to build muscle and harden my abs. I could be a little less flabby, but have made a conscious decision to not give up beer - it's one of life pleasure I simply enjoy. I also don't count calories at all and probably eat more fruit than most of you.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, there are some things I won't give up either -- like some fruit and dairy -- however I am willing to make some sacrifices to drop fat and if that means low low carb, then be it!
    Next step for me is serious sprints, planks and MAYBE ONE DAY pullups!!

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience, there are some things I won't give up either -- like some fruit and dairy -- however I am willing to make some sacrifices to drop fat and if that means low low carb, then be it!
    Next step for me is serious sprints, planks and MAYBE ONE DAY pullups!!
    Pullups will come. I first started with chin ups and could do only do 3 this past spring in one set - barely. Now I can do 10-12 in one set and 6-8 pull ups in one set. Now when a do a pull up/chin up session I'll do a total of about 60. When I was 18 I could barely do 1....so not bad for 39!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    BFAST:
    2 or 3 slices of bacon with 1 or 2 eggs (scrambled with bacon fat or in olive oil)
    tea (plain)

LUNCH:
    Loaded salad: romaine, with 2 eggs, cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes (or avocado, etc.) with balsamic vinegar + EVOO
    2 Tbsp Almond butter
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of full fat organic yogurt with drizzle of honey

DINNER:
    100g Cantaloupe
    6oz Salmon (sautéed in butter)
    1oz of goat cheese

SparkPeople est: 1,344
    That looks too "CW-healthy" to me, like a walking bag of trail mix.

WHERE'S THE BEEF? Where's the pork, the chicken, the bone broth, the buffalo jerky?
    IMO you could use hefty nutrient dense veggies, like kale or broccoli.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    That looks too "CW-healthy" to me, like a walking bag of trail mix.

WHERE'S THE BEEF? Where's the pork, the chicken, the bone broth, the buffalo jerky?
    IMO you could use hefty nutrient dense veggies, like kale or broccoli.
    That hurt!! I happened to eat salmon that day, I eat whatever food I've cooked and needs to go. Beef, chicken, duck, etc. are on the menu too. Broccoli no way, but cauliflower, kale, and all, sure!

Haven't made any bone broth. Not sure where to start -- care to share?
    In fact some recipes call for chicken broth, never made my own (remember I'm a newbie), but would love to!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    You know, I just realized that because I used to run a lot and I am pretty strong (as in: can carry things, can run several miles and feel no soreness the same day, and well, I look 'mostly' skinny) I thought I was fit. Reality is that I run less than once a week, my exercise regimen consists of the body weight exercises from PB Fitness (recently) and Bikram yoga once a week. How could I stay fit!?

I will up the play time, and definitely add the sprints in, and of course lift heavy. Where do you start, follow the work out of the day? Or just stick to BPF and add intensity?

When I work up the courage I will post pictures I'm not too far from this:
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/wp-c...kinny-Fat1.jpg

Though it took me a while to accept it
    I thought I was relatively fit until I started doing CrossFit too . That kills me!! Every day I have muscle pains in new places. I'm going three times a week and I think that's going to work pretty well for me in terms of overall fitness/strength etc.

Before CrossFit I was doing PB bodyweight type exercises (not pullups though...haha I can't do them), but 20 pushups, 2min planks etc. But I wasn't exercising regularly enough, really. I'd just occasionally think, "Oh I should do some exercises" and then spend a few minutes... but I probably wasn't really pushing myself that hard either. I'd do 20 pushups and think "yup, that's enough". In CrossFit the other day we had to do 150!!! There's no way I'd usually push myself to do that many in a day (as it was after the first 30 I had to do knee pushups... and even so I'm still feeling it three days later).

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm not disciplined enough to do the PB fitness exercises on my own so I take a class called Pump + Abs that does a lot of core fitness things. We do squats and planks and things like that but we sometimes use small weights or bands to add intensity or stability balls or small balls to support the back when doing ab things. I know a lot of people scoff at such things, but since I had to start at zero basically, it's been very helpful for me. Plus being a class, I just show up and follow the leader. And since there is an instructor, I can ask questions when a particular movement is hurting me and she'll help me either modify it so it doesn't hurt or tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    that sounds like a lot of fun actually. i want to join!

i too, am terribly undisciplined with exercise. food discipline has become shockingly easy but exercise has forever been my demon. :P

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry. I didn't know what else you were eating. But this day's menu just looked a little too nut-and-granola.

I've never made true bone broth, but from my understanding, you just throw beef bones into a pot and boil for a couple hours. Strain and done.

I do make chicken soup from whole chicken, which I count as bone broth too. Break off the wings and thighs, and break the breast/back/neck so that the pieces lay flat in a pot. Take off as much skin as you can. (I discard the heart/liver/whatever organs. Sorry, I just can't get into offal.) Throw in celery, onion, maybe some parsely or sage, cover with water and simmer for two hours, or until the bones simply fall out of the meat. Strain the broth and put it in the refrigerator. Meat broths go bad fast at room temp. I don't use much water, so my broth turns into jelly when it's cold. If you use a lot more water, the fat will rise to the top and you can skim it off. And that's it. Chicken broth.

Simply pick the chicken meat off the bones and use for something else. I get about 3-4 cups of good meat from a 4-pound chicken, enough for six servings of soup.

If you want to make chicken soup from the chicken broth, add the broth back to the pot and throw in a 3-4 cups of fresh vegetables like celery, carrots, turnips, bell pepper, garlic, onions, whatever. Cook for a half hour to cook the veggies. Add salt and pepper. Add in the chicken meat. Done.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Thanks Oxide, I am doing this as we speak. First time; a little intimidating but I won the battle against the dead chicken, and it's 'simmering'...
    I even scooped up four beef marrow bones this morning -- in the freezer for later.

Thanks for pushing me to venture out of my comfort zone.

Oh and my non-paleo husband thinks I'm nuts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12