Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Info Overload.. how should I eat to fuel my lifestyle? page 2

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Obvious question: are you getting enough quality sleep? My other half did everything right except doing shift work that messed up her sleep, and her health and weight suffered, no matter how well she ate.

ennaejay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Experiment with your food. High-fat or low carb is not for everyone. FYI: cellulite reduction doesn't happen. Once you've got it, sadly, it is there to stay.
    The thing that boggles my mind is that 12 months ago, I didn't have it. So..... 12 months from now, if I play my cards right, I can eradicate it... right? Give me some hope here!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why not go back to running? I think the whole chronic cardio thing is a total misunderstanding for most people. It's chronic cardio when you do it at a high intensity. It's healthy slow movement when you do it at a lower intensity. At a high intensity it causes stress. At a low intensity it can help with stress. Dial it back from 11 down to 3 and you will probably enjoy it more and it might help.
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I agree with this wholeheartedly and all I can say is that low level cardio works for me. That's averaging 115 bpm heart rate burning around 500 cals per hour. It does help with stress.
    I LIKE running. I think this is good advice, it does help relieve my stress. However Mark seems to stress the sprints -- do you (who I assume are well fat-adapted with healthy hormones) still have power for tabatas? Or does it feel like there's nothing to give? I like explosion, obviously the HIIT is good for fat burning. Much as I cannot stand Jillian Michaels, her workouts did give me awesome results a couple years ago... and that was with Barbie weights. I guess I need to incorporate SOME cardio back in, slow-twitch and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    Obvious question: are you getting enough quality sleep? My other half did everything right except doing shift work that messed up her sleep, and her health and weight suffered, no matter how well she ate.
    Hahahahaha! No. I'm either up 1-2x every night like clockwork to pee, or I'm so overly tired and wound-up at bedtime that I can't seem to nod off. This is an important factor, I agree. Like primalrob said, getting the basics right is important. Primal 101 equals good rest, play, sunlight, de-stress, etc.... maybe I don't have all my ducks in a row and I'm trying to ignore the signs.

I'm going to start a Leptin Reset Journal, that much is for sure. What do I have to lose. Something's screwed up, I thought reading Berardi's stuff made a lot of sense but I think even though I CAN fast, skipping breakfast might just not be the best idea for me. I'm going to stick to VLC for a while (2 mos?) and go from there.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I think you need to think about what you want to gain from going primal... Sometimes being healthy means holding onto a few extra pounds. I'm much happier now that I don't feel compelled to work out every day. For awhile I was making strides toward finally having a six-pack, the ultimate outward sign of success, I thought. But nothing about being an exercise-a-holic was particularly enjoyable. Waking up every morning feeling like a failure until I completed a workout was NOT healthy for me, even if my body looked awesome.

Grok wouldn't have been worried about his butt fat. He wouldn't have participated in long races (I imagine him on the sidelines of a marathon munching on some fresh caught antelope thinking "these fools will waste all their energy trying to beat each other right now, then there'll be no competition on tonight's hunt!!").

Living primally is an attitude. It's mental. It's about forgetting all this stuff we've been told about what a "healthy" body looks like, about what we have to look like to attract men, to fit in, and so on and so forth. It's not easy to eat healthy. It's not easy to lie to your boyfriend's mom that you "just ate" when she pulls out her spaghetti and your stomach's rumbling. But no caveman would let the others around him make him feel bad about what feels good.

I guess the summary of all that... to me, if you're typing your calories into some website every day, you're letting food run your life. You have some bigger issues with body image that you need to face. (I'm not being a jerk, I'm a 20 year old girl, I basically wrote the book on body image issues). Your body is a big, gross ball of intestines. That airbrushed lady in the running magazine isn't real--and chances are, isn't in ketosis. :-P Focus on what feels right to you-- let go!! Throw out your scale, work out when you feel like it (and do it for the right reasons -- aim for healthy, not skinny -- I aimed for skinny and ended up at my 'sexiest' ever with terrible knee injuries, totally revamped my outlook on exercise/health/life), stop counting your calories, don't be afraid to trust your internal compass!

P.S. If stress is an issue for you, 1) DO NOT skip breakfast, and 2) look into supplementing with Rhodiola rosea, it's worked wonders for my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I think you need to think about what you want to gain from going primal... Sometimes being healthy means holding onto a few extra pounds. I'm much happier now that I don't feel compelled to work out every day. For awhile I was making strides toward finally having a six-pack, the ultimate outward sign of success, I thought. But nothing about being an exercise-a-holic was particularly enjoyable. Waking up every morning feeling like a failure until I completed a workout was NOT healthy for me, even if my body looked awesome.

Grok wouldn't have been worried about his butt fat. He wouldn't have participated in long races (I imagine him on the sidelines of a marathon munching on some fresh caught antelope thinking "these fools will waste all their energy trying to beat each other right now, then there'll be no competition on tonight's hunt!!").

Living primally is an attitude. It's mental. It's about forgetting all this stuff we've been told about what a "healthy" body looks like, about what we have to look like to attract men, to fit in, and so on and so forth. It's not easy to eat healthy. It's not easy to lie to your boyfriend's mom that you "just ate" when she pulls out her spaghetti and your stomach's rumbling. But no caveman would let the others around him make him feel bad about what feels good.

I guess the summary of all that... to me, if you're typing your calories into some website every day, you're letting food run your life. You have some bigger issues with body image that you need to face. (I'm not being a jerk, I'm a 20 year old girl, I basically wrote the book on body image issues). Your body is a big, gross ball of intestines. That airbrushed lady in the running magazine isn't real--and chances are, isn't in ketosis. :-P Focus on what feels right to you-- let go!! Throw out your scale, work out when you feel like it (and do it for the right reasons -- aim for healthy, not skinny -- I aimed for skinny and ended up at my 'sexiest' ever with terrible knee injuries, totally revamped my outlook on exercise/health/life), stop counting your calories, don't be afraid to trust your internal compass!

P.S. If stress is an issue for you, 1) DO NOT skip breakfast, and 2) look into supplementing with Rhodiola rosea, it's worked wonders for my anxiety.
    I really, really appreciate your post. Thanks -- good advice, real sound. :'-) The perfectionist in me - the feeling like a failure if I haven't worked hard or if the numbers aren't lining up - is going to take a hike. My Mister would LOVE if I'd put on a couple pounds if only I'd have a healthy self-image and gain some libido. He's always told me confidence is #1 on his hot list.

I'm starting a LR in the AM & will journal about it. Healthy and strong should always trump jean size, I KNOW that, I just have to live it.

heatherdarbs Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ennaejay View Post
    And shrink my butt fat at the same time?

I'm reading the mondo thread on leptin resets, I'm giving up coffee because it's bad for the adrenals, I'm trying to get into ketosis by eating less than 50gC a day.

One year ago (almost to date) I could run 15 miles with no soreness the next day, I was in the driver's seat of the carb wagon on a "healthy" SAD. My butt and thighs were 3" smaller, respectively.

Since then I've gone Primal, (SCD/GAPS/nearly Paleo and no beans) due to healing digestive problems in our family. I backed way off the "chronic cardio", although I jog 30 min a couple times weekly. I lift heavy things and put them down again. No strength gains in a year, probably due to the constant switching of macros.

I IF. I lift fasted. I'm disciplined.

So why are my thighs and butt carrying noticeable cellulite in the last 12 months since I stopped running? Why can't I get into my jeans this autumn? I can do a couple pullups but I can't button my pants, and it's starting to get frustrating.

My calories/macros are all over the place. Last time I charted for an entire month, it was July. Here are the average stats copied directly from Fat Secret:

Daily Average:
    Exercise: 2090kcal
    Food: 1492kcal
    (Fat: 95.30g, Protein: 63.08g, Carbs: 101.45g)

Is Ketosis my answer? Can VLC sustain heavy (for me) lifting 3x a week? Or should I be eating way more carbs, every day, or a refeed once a week? Should I start running all the time and burning glucose again to shrink my pants size? It worked before.

I'm no stranger to sprints but I backed off the weekly jaunt when energy started to decline. I have two preschoolers at home and I'm tired and crabby most days. This isn't like me. When I feel good, I feel GOOD, like I have a rocket up my butt, go-go-go-go with productivity and organization and motivation. I'm getting fat and not making progress in the weight room, and have no idea why.

Help? A kick in the rear? Advice? Please?
    Oh wow - I was just pondering this same thing today, while on a walk. Running melts it ALL away for me, too. BUT....here's what I noticed, for me at least. My hips are 3" bigger than they were when I was running all the time. I realized that the thickness of my hips (though I now have fat on my body, because I eat) is actually muscle, not blub. I don't know about you, but my entire body is bigger with muscle now. I know that my running and poor eating habits were leaving my body to consume what muscle I might have had. My calves were tiny, my butt was tiny, my arms were more than tiny (and gross). Now, I do eat appropriately, exercise appropriately and don't run 50 miles a week to make my body feast on my muscle. I wonder if you're experience is similar. Also, as much as we don't like the appearance of fat, we need it to regulate hormones and produce estrogen (need that for bones). My body fat is dropping again...and gone is my female “cycle". So.....decisions, decisions. I’ve noticed that many people on this forum advise me to redirect my focus toward health, not how I want to look and/or weigh.

In terms of your workouts - maybe you've hit a burnout period. I did and never thought I would. I needed a giant rest and reform. Maybe try running again, but not to lose anything; just to get outdoors, breathe fresh air and be in the motion you most enjoy.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    Oh wow - I was just pondering this same thing today, while on a walk. Running melts it ALL away for me, too. BUT....here's what I noticed, for me at least. My hips are 3" bigger than they were when I was running all the time. I realized that the thickness of my hips (though I now have fat on my body, because I eat) is actually muscle, not blub. I don't know about you, but my entire body is bigger with muscle now. I know that my running and poor eating habits were leaving my body to consume what muscle I might have had. My calves were tiny, my butt was tiny, my arms were more than tiny (and gross). Now, I do eat appropriately, exercise appropriately and don't run 50 miles a week to make my body feast on my muscle. I wonder if you're experience is similar. Also, as much as we don't like the appearance of fat, we need it to regulate hormones and produce estrogen (need that for bones). My body fat is dropping again...and gone is my female “cycle". So.....decisions, decisions. I’ve noticed that many people on this forum advise me to redirect my focus toward health, not how I want to look and/or weigh.

In terms of your workouts - maybe you've hit a burnout period. I did and never thought I would. I needed a giant rest and reform. Maybe try running again, but not to lose anything; just to get outdoors, breathe fresh air and be in the motion you most enjoy.
    I imagine we are getting healthier. You are spot on - all the cardio (I was only running 20-25mi/week) was eating away everything, I definitely wasn't strong, just wiry. I am definitely burnt out and the weight/fat gain is discouraging to me. I definitely have glutes. I think I need to incorporate daily walking - a lot of it - until my leptin/insulin/diet is cleaned up enough to LHT again.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    This is an AWESOME post! This is exactly the way my body wants to look!! My body moves in this direction when I'm working hard, I just have trouble sustaining it. I have strong legs, they can work hard, I will never have skinny stick legs. To have stri's like this gal would be so fantastic, and add 10lbs of lean mass! My arms and shoulders respond well to training, it will take another few years to lean out more. I'm going to poke around her site and see if I can catch any tips. Thanks for sharing - very inspiring!!!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If 12 months ago you didn't have cellulite then presumably you've gained weight/fat and developed it, so in theory if you fixed what ails ye and lost the fat, you should look as you did 12 months ago. All theoretical, of course...this is of no help at all, is it?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    isnt cellulite about transfats etc?

so are you certain you are eating the right mix of fats in your diet?

secondly it could be part of the process of removal, perhaps you need to focus on a high funtioning liver. do what is good to support its filtering and excretion process
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12