Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workouts Starting to Suffer page

omajoe is offline Member

Question Workouts Starting to Suffer

Shop Now
    I've been following the PB for about 6 weeks now. Started out pretty slowly - just gave up most grains and legumes (except peanuts) at first. Had the occasional bowl of cereal or a sweet potato the first few weeks. Then cut out all grains, but still ate a lot of fruit. Then a couple of weeks ago I discovered fitday.com and started keeping a food journal. When I realized how many carbs fruit had, I started cutting back. And over the last week, I've really cut back on carbs all together to drop some fat.

However, over the past two weeks I've also noticed I'm struggling more with my workouts. I'm doing a program from DragonDoor.com called Convict Conditioning (compound body weight exercises), and it seems like while I make some progress on individual exercises, I'm having trouble getting through all of them in the morning. I just have felt weak very quickly and haven't been able to make it all the way through the program.

I work out at 5:30 in the morning and I don't eat before I work out. I have been getting my necessary protein (100-150 g) throughout the day and have been restricting carbs to < 50 (yesterday was < 10). I also get about 90-140 g of fat.

Is this weakness/fatigue I'm feeling just a normal adjustment to the PB or should I adjust my diet in some way?

I'm hoping this passes soon.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I've never gone that low in carbs... are you trying to lose significant amounts of weight?
    If not, I'd say bump it up to the 100 range.

Lolly is offline Member
    Huge 2nd to arthurb999. i eat in the 80-100gram per day. If i'm really gonna be engaged in intense exercise, I'll go just over 100.
    I wouldn't even be able to get myself dressed on <10 let alone seriously work out.

dsantana is offline Senior Member
    I agree with everyone so far. I have done the less than 20 carbs a day and it completely saps my energy. What is your body weight currently?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I, too, find that I need at least 85g carbs daily to fuel my high activity level over long periods (100+ on REALLY long days on the farm).

I'm well adapted to primal (high compliance for over 6 months now) and have, over winter, felt good on 50-65g carbs daily -- but with the daylight changes resulting in more opportunity for outdoor work in addition to intense workouts, I fell into a fatigued state that refused to lift until I took about 10 days off working out AND upped my carbs.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    I'd try taking a break from the workouts for a week or so. Your body may be trying to tell you it's had enough for right now and would like to recuperate.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    What is more important to you at this time?

Would you like to get stronger faster or lose fat faster?

If you increase your carbs back up you will lose fat slower but increase strength faster.

If you want to lose fat faster then keep your carbs low but ease up(lift lighter) on the heavy workouts.

You may find that after your body adjust to the lowered carb level, however, you will be able to gain stregth again but at a slower rate than previously on a higher carb amount.

That is what I am finding out currently anyway.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I'm noticing the same thing; loss of energy during workouts. I also am not eating very many carbs though, as I'm trying to drop some fat in this early stage (this is the tail end of week 7 for me). It's working but I try to eat a bunch of protein as I'm trying to build muscle.

Question: What types of carbs is everyone adding to increase energy for workouts? I was trying some fruit shortly before working out, but is there something better? I tried increasing fat for energy but I didn't notice any difference... maybe I didn't add enough?

omajoe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I've never gone that low in carbs... are you trying to lose significant amounts of weight?
    If not, I'd say bump it up to the 100 range.
    Thanks. But to add some detail to my original post, I've only been down in the sub 50 for the last 3 days to try to break through a weight plateau. Before that, I was averaging about 100 g/day of carbs. And I started struggling in my workouts then. Now to be fair, before I started journaling, I was probably getting much more than 100 g/day and just not realizing it. Could this just be a matter of my body adjusting to the lower carbs/higher fat & protein?

omajoe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LX View Post
    I'd try taking a break from the workouts for a week or so. Your body may be trying to tell you it's had enough for right now and would like to recuperate.
    Thanks. Definitely good advice. In fact I just took a break for a few days. I was feeling the symptoms of overtraining - couldn't sleep, low energy, muscle aches. Just started back this morning. Depending on how tomorrow's workout goes, I'll either up my carbs or take a couple more days off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast