Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 Year Old Former Bulimic Girl Defying CW (and cooking awesome food) page 2

Spiralicious is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Also, I am intrigued by your donut/toaster strudel pizza. I would like to propose that anyone cleaning out their pantries of non-primal foods attempt to make the most ridiculous piece of "food" possible before tossing it. And then take pictures, so you can gross yourself out later when you're tempted to eat crap. Any takers?

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Former bulimic weighing in here. I was bulimic for almost TWENTY years. Count them. Twenty. That life is the one thing I would never wish on anyone, and for that reason I feel the need to lecture...

I started my eating disorder at the age of 15. Of course, it all began years prior but the behavior started at age 15. I really, really hope you are getting some type of help for the bulimia. Whether it is through friendships or formal therapy or books or online help. Don't do it alone; the disorder is about an isolating as you can get. Are you in school? Your posts make it sound like you are at home all day. Home schooled or just home from school due to the progesterone storms? With bulimia comes depression; which one comes first I do not know and might be different for everyone. Omega 3 fatty acids were SO helpful for my moderate depression.

Replenish minerals; especially zinc. Zinc can also help control appetite. I can see in your writing that food is still an obsession, and calories still weigh heavily on your mind as the gauge of progress or failure. It breaks my heart.

I'm not even sure where to start. Not one thing works for everyone, but I'll tell you what seemed to work for me.

Exercise. Keep social and keep busy. Wallowing in the self-pity only makes it harder not to binge. Go gluten free! Seriously. 100% gluten free. Processed sugar? OUT. For now, don't focus on how much you are eating, but instead on what you are eating (increase fat and vegetables and water). If you are eating 100% primal, then the weight isn't going to be climbing. After several weeks of eating primal, then look at how much you are eating WITHOUT making it about calories. No more calories. I predict that you will feel better AND that your periods will not be as bad once you get your eating under control. Since going Primal, my periods have been no problem at all. I was a psycho for the few days before my period. In addition, about the time of ovulation I had these weird dizzy/floaty episodes that freaked me out so much I just wanted to eat carbs to feel better. Those two things went away within 6 weeks.

I found the longer I went between binge/purge episodes the less I wanted to binge/purge. I hope that holds same for you.

I am all over the place here. Most of all, congratulations on taking charge. I love the fact that you journal, and I look forward to watching you (figuratively) grow!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Just curious as to what kind of pain meds your on? On a couple occasions I would takes some for the "high" in my younger days. I always got sick from them and felt absolutely horrible, not high

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    GADSIE - thanks for the advice. I'm not going to be in school until the spring so I'm going to try and keep active. But I don't really WANT to cheat so much, maybe for birthdays and certain breaks, you know. But I'm trying to manage stress - looking into yoga and meditation. Eventually I want to be able to do the scorpion pose.

SPIRA - I am that cousin I'm alright, I'll manage things today. I'm supposed to go get a hormone panel done and then I have an appt with a naturopath, so I can find a plan of treatment and maybe manage the cramps better. On the subject of donut pizza, I totally agree. Or we just post some Epic Meal Time videos around the forum and see what the reaction is.

PHASELOW - Thank you so much for you advice and concern. I'm not in counseling or anything, but I manage the issue myself. I've been bulimic for 2.5 years now, with some good points and bad points. I used a few different tactics to make myself stop, after I realized I was killing myself doing it. It got to the point where my body wouldn't let anything go until I sat there thrusting my fingers down my throat for an hour. I also realized I was becoming addicted in a way to purging itself. Home alone and depressed? You haven't eaten much, but if you throw up, you'll feel better. All those thoughts would swirl in my head. I'm currently dealing with it somewhat alone. I have a lot of drive. I've told a few people but I think the issue makes them uncomfortable because they never go near it or ask me how I'm doing. I try to keep it out of my casual thoughts, but obviously it's still a ghost in my head.
    I'm not in school right now. I'm taking a semester off to manage my life and organize some personal issues.

I'm still counting calories but trying to back off, I just really don't want to gain any more weight. I was already slightly overweight while b/ping but after I stopped I gained 15lbs, and can't fit into my old clothes, not even my t-shirts.

I'm supplementing with GABA, tryptophan, B6, and magnesium for depression, I'll look into the zinc. I'm trying to eat more seaweed to get more iodine.

This cycle is much better than the last one. I'm working on going 100% but already have improvements, the cramps are so much more manageable.
    I hope to see you post here again, the input is really appreciated. Thank you

BENNET - I take naproxen for cramps, I don't think you can get high off that

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Hi Golangrok!

Just wanted to pop my head in to say hello Good for you for taking steps to get healthy!

Wanted to second the suggestion of supplementing fish oil (I take a mix, salmon oil, krill oil, etc). I take about 4000 mg/day and I know it's helped. Also, eight weeks ago, I started eating really, really cleanly. No wheat, or sugar at all, even cut down on my fruit to just berries occasionally. (This was to fight my insulin resistance.) Anyway, about 2 1/2 weeks in, my head kind of cleared. It happened all at once over the course of a day or two.

It's weird/hard to explain but the lingering depression that I have lifted, I felt happier, and more capable. I have all this energy, and from time to time, I've wondered if this is what other people feel like all the time. It's been wonderful!

So I would echo what PHaselow said, to focus on healthy food choices, up the fats, drop the sugars, and cut out grains completely. Your body will go through a healing phase, but I bet it'll be quicker than mine is. Me at 35, I have a lot more damage to overcome.

Edit: Re: the fish oil, I read on a NIH site a list of the various studies for fish oil and the different amounts that were good for different health issues. After reading the list, sorry I wish I had a link, I decided that 4k mg would be good for me. You'll have to do a little of research to see what's good for you.

Also a suggestion, if you have health insurance, have your vitamin D levels tested. If you're low, you can supplement with Vitamin D3 (it's much, much better than Vitamin D2). Watch Dr. Mercola's youtube video series on Vitamin D to find out more about how Vit D can benefit you.
    Last edited by lissee; 09-15-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Ive read some papers and seen a few clips that say otherwise about fish. It's apparently going to be a real problem for our health because a huge overabundance of omega 3. there has to be a proper balance between omega 6. Omega 6 will come in to fix a deficiency where omega 3 cannot. check out this short video from Dr. Greg Ellis. I've also read Evening Primrose oil is best for women.
    Essential Fatty Acids covered by Dr. Gregory Ellis - YouTube
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

One of the krill supplements I've been taking has Evening Primrose in it.

I have been interested in Dr. Mercola's krill oil supplement as it has many other benefits. but its expensive and i feel i get plenty of omega 3. I do want to pick up a bottle of Evening Primrose oil and a couple other things like green tea caffeine pills when the budget permits. just making sure im eating good for now
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    So guess what? Yesterday, I got hit with stomach cramps, a 102 fever, nausea, and this intense migraine. Turns out I have viral meningitis. Went to the hospital and got a drip. Back later to update.

Oh dear! Get better soon!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast