Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Insert Witty Title Here" a lurkers journal page

aloerob is offline Member

"Insert Witty Title Here" a lurkers journal

Yo!

So yep I am a lurker... mostly because I first used this forum as a source of motivation. However that motivation, like for many others, wanes after a few days of success. At one point, in May, I was Primal/Paleo for 18 days and dropped 13 lbs... but then my gf visited and it's been downhill since then.

Similar story to many here... I'm a big dude. 32, 6'2 275ish... (probably more like 280 after last weekend). But when I say big... I am big... I have way too much fat but just a large frame. I have dropped over 30lbs 5 separate times in my life and it usually happens once every 2-3 years. My dad says that I was in the best shape when I graduated Infantry school in 2003. I weighed 226 lbs the day I left Ft. Benning but that didn't last. As soon as i got to my duty station in Germany and could slam beers again... I gained 20 of it back. Obviously the chronic cardio of the Army kept me somewhat ok... but in reality the Army lifestyle is inherently unhealthy.

Fast forward to 2008 I went from 278 to 236 but was pretty jacked. In fact, I feel that this was the best shape of my life. I eventually broke myself from over-training. I had a bulging disc in my lower back that caused my training to stop... I got addicted to vicodin and put that weight back on. Since then I have battled to get back in shape. 2010, I got introduced to crossfit and was lucky enough to train with one of the best in the world, Jason Khalipa. He introduced me to Paleo and I did a challenge where i last 17lbs in 30 days.

Right now... I have a horrible self image as a result of poor decision making... lots of talk but even more justifying bad habits... so... back to crossfit I go. Luckily my beautiful girlfriend is supportive and bought "Make it Paleo" last weekend. She has read the PB and is prob 70/30. We just moved in together and she is totally on board so I have everything in place to make it happen. I will continue to lurk on the success stories for motivation...

Saw a picture on facebook today.... it was a Nike add that said "Yesterday... you said tomorrow.... Just do it" maybe that should be the title of my Journal.

photo.jpg

Salad with bacon and ground beef sauteed in bacon grease with bell pepper
    broccoli and carrots dipped in evoo
    now steak and veggies on the grill for dinner.

keeping the eyes on the prize.

workout in the AM then 18 holes.

As I continue to talk to myself the ramblings shall ensue. We went to bed at a reasonable hour and I woke up at 4:30 feeling rested. Ironic that on a day off I have such an easy time getting out of bed. I was perturbed however, that we were out of coffee. Went on starbux run to make sure the lady has some coffee when she wakes up... yes I am that nice. Heading to the Y in a bit to do some light cardio and stretching prior to playing golf today. supposed to be a nice 85 degrees with no humidity so I am looking forward to being out in the sun. The guys I am playing with are my beer drinking buddies, but they are on my weight loss team so they won't be pressuring me too bad. Figures that they are both ecto-morphs and have a six pack regardless of their consumption. I am better at golf so take that!

So yeah... I forgot this is supposed to be about Primal caveman stuff... *grunt*

It's funny how things can change one's perspective... I actually felt guilty eating my steak and veggies last night because it was store bought and surely not grass fed super clean beef. Like literally was thinking about it when I went to bed. Oh well, at some point... GF and I keep talking about hitting up the farmers market here in the Queen City, but have yet to do so. She just moved out here a month ago. Oh and for an explanation we have known each other for 6 years but I moved to NC from CA last year and she finally came too (no pun intended). buuuuuut I digress.... back to the farmers market. The one time I did check it out I bought some grass fed beef from a farmer there, so hopefully he still exists and I can come visit his farm and buy a cow. Or at least enough meat to last the winter.

Bacon, Eggs and Avocado after the J-I-M...
    Last edited by aloerob; 09-14-2012 at 05:08 AM.

shot a 78 so that was good... otherwise not so good in the primal diet area.

just finished up a walk with the GF. beautiful day here and we are getting ready to head to the farmers market. She made an awesome egg burrito as found in the make it paleo book. it was delicious. looking forward to a fun saturday.
    9/13/12 6'2" 278lbs

Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65781.html

"Temptation chronicles the story of my life"

Here I am again on a Sunday morning wondering where the weekend has gone. Did not achieve my goals the past couple of days but hey all I can do is move forward. I did go for a long walk yesterday though... the weather in Charlotte has been beautiful. Today is Football!
    9/13/12 6'2" 278lbs

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Well, if it's any consolation, both of you guys are super damn cute. I want to pinch
    BOTH of your faces SUPER HARD, grandma style, but no wet kiss to accompany it, which
    I'm sure you're relieved to hear.

ANYWAY, good luck on your new quest!

You're going to do waaaay better than most since you have a supportive girlfriend. So awesome!

Also, what I just recently learned in my 43yrs on the planet, and 43yrs of being semi-obsessed with
    weight, is to treat your body kindly, and thank it for everything it does, has done and will do.

I know that sounds super smarmy, but recently I got to this "place" of, what I like to call, "The Fuckitalls".

My weight has been the same for 2 months, I only have two pairs of pants that fit and even my sports bras
    were crying.

So I said to myself: "Self, your body is just a vehicle for your soul in this life. Do what you gotta do to eat right,
    exercise and feel FANTASTIC. Be a happy, healthy, blessed person and have a great time NO MATTER WHAT. Just
    love yourself."

So been just going with the flow like that for the past two weeks and its made a WORLD of difference. And you know what
    else? Sure as shit, I get on the scale today and I'm down SIX pounds. Okay, um, after being at the same weight for 2 months?
    And I've done NOTHING different? I even haven't been to the GYM in 2 weeks (doing yardwork instead).

So I really think that self talk has a lot to do with it and I'm pretty much kicking myself for not figuring that out EARLIER.

SO ANYWAY, good luck to you and sorry for getting all sappy/spiritual in your shiny new journal.

YOU CAN DO THIS! And, you know what, you have many, many, many years to perfect it.

Just remember that.

Julia

Got really mad at my alarm this morning... however i needed to get up for work stuff so... that's how it goes. other than that, good night of rest. looking forward to a good workout today... going to do some heavy lifting.. definitely some squats, front and back...

Thank goodness for coffee.
    9/13/12 6'2" 278lbs

ISoA thanks for the kind words... hopefully i find mine again within the next year.
    9/13/12 6'2" 278lbs

just had a tuff workout... felt a little nausea and i was wondering if it was carb flu or if I am just fat and out of shape. we are out of our farmers market bought veggies... going to restock on sat. we got some farm fresh eggs and holy shnikies what a difference. they taste so much better. So I got an award at work so I get to go to a banquet in D.C. in late October. The weekend following, my friend is getting married in Va. Looks like I have a month to make as much progress as possible... i want to be vain and look good and healthy in my suit. Going to see all my old friends from the Army so.....
    9/13/12 6'2" 278lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    long walk and workout today... also hit the steam room... i love the steam room, especially after a night of a little too much scotch with my buddy. feeling bloated and fat though... diet has been pretty good all week and fasted this morning. Hit up the farmers market this morning, got loaded up for the week and bought some more grass fed beef. I have it marinading in some Shaka's MMM Sauce my mom shipped out from CA. If you don't know about Shaka's.... it's the best on the planet. It's best with Chicken.
    Last edited by aloerob; 09-22-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    9/13/12 6'2" 278lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast