Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Detox page 2

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quelson - I agree with your conclusion. As organisms we are pretty good at bad stuff in, bad stuff out. I am not sure that drinking aloe vera or the likes is going to rush this along. I must say that I haven't always felt this way - after a health battle and the surgeries I had, I did the hydrocolonic thing to rid myself of the meds. That said, didn't feel any different than before (I guess my wallet was a little lighter). Maybe this is something for Dr. Attia at NuSci?
    Height - 5'8"
    SW - 191
    CW - 162
    GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Don't forget the coffee enemas
    OMG! A new way to ingest coffee!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    That is not what this thread is about. this thread is about finding a definition of the work Detox that we can all agree to.
    solutions for smokers are down the hall to the left. :-)
    I think that was a bot gotcha there Honey Badger. see sig.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
    I have tried everything from fasting, to oil pulling, to aloe vera juice, to epsom salt baths, to activated charcoal and D. earth. I guess that means I drink the detox Koolaid. I think our body holds onto lots of toxins in lots of different ways and clean eating and avoiding modern-day poisons is the best way to be healthy, but how to rid the body of those toxins? I'm not sure what's best. How long, for example, does gluten stick around after an exposure? Do you have to "start over" when eating clean and having a cheat?

This is a discussion I hope others chime in on. What works? What doesn't? Is there any real way to detox the body?
    The body will detox itself all by itself if we just get out of our own way and stop ingesting poisons as much as is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by catholicchick View Post
    Quelson - I agree with your conclusion. As organisms we are pretty good at bad stuff in, bad stuff out. I am not sure that drinking aloe vera or the likes is going to rush this along. I must say that I haven't always felt this way - after a health battle and the surgeries I had, I did the hydrocolonic thing to rid myself of the meds. That said, didn't feel any different than before (I guess my wallet was a little lighter). Maybe this is something for Dr. Attia at NuSci?
    I think Peter is busy studying things like VLC for athletes at NuSI. That's here in SD. I wish I could go volunteer there or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    OMG! A new way to ingest coffee!
    HEHEHE. You could also set up a mainline drip.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    In my experience there are ways to unplug the drain, and ways to flush the contents thru it faster. However most of the time what i hear from the "gurus" out there who are simply attempting to differentiate themselves from the pack so as to make a quick buck is that ONE thing applied topically will cure ALL your ills ( pads on the feet etc )

I think what gets people is that they can SEE instant results. Anything that opens your pores will allow, theoretically, more excretion of what was at the surface anyway. Catch that on an absorbent pad or in a container of fluid and viola, instant proof that it is working.

However the real toxins are not in the skin per se but in the cells. the body's primary natural pathway for garbage disposal is the liver followed by the lungs. This means that the lymph is the most important pathway followed by the circulatory system.

Here is something to think about. the heart pumps the blood, but it is the lungs and muscles that pump the lymph. in fact the most important lymph nodes are just behind the stomach along the spine meaning that ONLY deep rhythmic breathing stimulates them....

SO

Deep breathing exercises as an adjust to your own natural detox system.... discuss
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Leida is offline Senior Member
    When I was 17 or 18, my mom was into the popular detoxing method of the time. It was cheap & available. It was a day a week of fasting (or multiple days of fasting) following by an enema filled with your own urine. The guru told you that you have been clean once the beets or similar coloring substances stopped coloring your urine. Urine was supposed to be the perfect thing for enema since it has its own salts & is compatible with your body. I think the really advanced cleansers ingested it too.

So, whenever they say detox, I always recall that mother-daughter experience, the jars of urine in the bathroom, the enemas...

and I kinnda like eating clean, pooping naturally, sweating when running and going to the steam room to relax and sweat approach better.

EDIT: I have nothing against deep breathing either, particularly in the great outdoors.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

er... never thought of using that for an enema....

wow

mind = boggled

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the things that can be justified by nutritional and health science... quite a wide spectrum. But you can't flaw the author for having ac commercial interest. That's no snake oil, just real natural salt-loaded perfectly cleansing urine. It even has a strong recycling element.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yeah, the things that can be justified by nutritional and health science... quite a wide spectrum. But you can't flaw the author for having ac commercial interest. That's no snake oil, just real natural salt-loaded perfectly cleansing urine. It even has a strong recycling element.
    Go Green... or Yellow as the case may be :-)

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    What about chelating?

Certain things (ALA, DMSA, DPMS, etc) are used to remove mercury from the body. Mercury being a toxic substance, I suppose this can be one form of "detoxification".

I think the key is to be specific about what is being "detoxed", and whether or not it actually works. The substance being removed needs to be clearly understood to be a toxic substance.

More shady things like enemas and "oil pulling" may or may not "detox". I don't think one can definitively call them a "detox" as of yet.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 09-18-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    What about chelating?

Certain things (ALA, DMSA, DPMS, etc) are used to remove mercury from the body. Mercury being a toxic substance, I suppose this can be one form of "detoxification".

I think the key is to be specific about what is being "detoxed", and whether or not it actually works. The substance being removed needs to be clearly understood to be a toxic substance.

More shady things like enemas and "oil pulling" may or may not "detox". I don't think one can definitively call them a "detox" as of yet.
    having cheleated personally i can attest both with laboratory values and with anecdotal stories that an effect is produced by these provoking substances... i would consider chelation a true form of detoxification which is outside the bodies normal operating parameters. esp given that without the provocation most of those agents refuse to leave the body.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast