Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increasing calories to loose weight page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Increasing calories to loose weight

I know I've posted similar things already, but I think I need encouragement at this point. After being mostly primal for a month, starting in December (2009), I quickly gained 10 unwanted pounds in a month. There could be many reasons for this, I know. I thought it was due to overeating, so I kept track on FitDay and that helped.

Since then I've maintained my weight sometimes gaining or loosing a pound or two. I'm not classified as overweight, but I've now got quite a pudgy belly, and I've had to go out and buy two now pairs of pants to be comfortable--although I'm not comfortable!

My question is about calories: about how many should I eat in order to loose this weight? Should I increase them? I know the advice is to eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satiated, but there's a complication: I'm breastfeeding a 2 year old boy (who feeds a lot), and I don't have a very good sense of my body's cues. I've had problems to do with overeating in the past too. I would like to, and I am trying to, listen to my body, while at the same time tracking my foods on FitDay.

I recently just did a calculation according to this website, http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=675 and it says that I should be consuming over 2800 a day. I've been trying to keep them down at around 2000 in the last two weeks and I gained a pound.

Here's some more about me:

I'm 5'6.5
    I weigh 140 pounds
    25.5% body fat, according to my scale
    I don't eat nuts.
    2 or so weeks ago I cut out fruit.
    Yoga at least once a week.
    50 burpees a week in one go
    General bodyweight excercises 2X per week
    3 hour long walks up and down very steep hills per week
    Lifting and running around after my 2 yr old
    My FitDay numbers are around: 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs
    Experimenting with raw dairy, mostly just milk in my morning coffee.
    I've been IFing breakfast a few times a week, and I really like it.

On the one hand I really like the idea of increasing my calories, as it gives me the freedom to eat tons of tasty food (I love eating), but on the other, the idea also terrifies me since I'm bulging out of my jeans already. What if it's a mistake?

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint doesn't count calories. There's a weight loss thread and group here on the forum if you are looking to lose weight.

Hrmph! I have to say that I'm a little surprised by THAT response, Suzan. I've found many encouraging and helpful people on this forum. Saying that Primal Blueprint simply doesn't count calories (implying that my inquiry does not belong here) is like saying that Primal Blueprint doesn't allow for endurance running. There are plenty of people who still do endurance, and each of us is on a continuum as far as the extent to which we follow the guidelines set out by the Primal Blueprint. As for weight loss, I'm betting many (if not most) people following Primal Blueprint are trying to lose weight. I would be very grateful for advice from a large spectrum of people, not just those others who are trying to loose weight and who read the weight loss thread and are members of that particular group.

I've read mention on this forum that some people have had success increasing their calories to loose weight. If you prefer (and if the word and information pertaining to 'calories' is repugnant), another way to put my question is: should I eat significantly more than I do now, in the order of 5 sausages, an avocado, and three tablespoons of butter more? I ask this because it was suggested to me on another website that I am in need of this much more food. I'm a little confused because I have trouble listening to my body's cues. I'm also feeling discouraged (and quite sensitive) since I have increased in size so much so fast.

I'd like to know how increasing intake of food gives better results for some people.

So sorry, I didn't have time to write anything else, that's why I referred you over to the weight loss threads. No offense intended. I'm short on time today. Sorry it came out that way.

It's okay, Suzan! I think I do the same things sometimes, i.e., writing very short replies.;-)

Here's the links to the threads I mentioned:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Support-Thread

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=11

Hope this helps. Lots of people there would be glad to give you the info you seek.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    well i sure hope increasing calories does not lead to weight LOSS....

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    The last few chapters in the book are about counting calories.....

Ideally you don't need to count calories after you figure out how to listen to your body. For some it takes longer than others. I am sure breastfeeding does not help. In any case 2800 cal for a 140 lbs woman seems like a lot. Most calculators give that number for me and I am a 6'1 190lb male. I am not breastfeeding that much anymore so maybe that has something to do with it....

Sounds hormonal, is your thyroid OK, are you pregnant again?

Not being very helpful... haha sorry.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious too. Sometimes I'm told I'm eating too little, other times too much. When I track on fitday I generally bounce around between 1200-1800 calories? I should point out that I use calories as what they are - quick, comparable, units of measurement. I also look at the fat/protein/carb beakdown to get a proper idea.

I'm going to try and look into oestrogen effects on insulin, if any info is publically available. I know that's the area I'm messed up in!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Many people with a significant amount of weight to lose (we're talking 100 pounds or more) can experience weight loss eating many more calories worth of real food than they were previously eating of junk. That is probably the body's reaction to the shift over to healthy foods that it was meant to consume. More importantly, it has enough good dietary fats coming in that it perceives less of a reason to hold onto its reserves, and metabolism rises to deal with the excess calories. That's my understanding; it could be way off. I know I was losing weight even though I was eating 120 grams of almonds 7 days a week.

But there seems to be a zone of fat storage that isn't particularly unhealthy, say up to about 20 or 30 pounds above a body fat percentage of 8-10% for men and 15-20% for women, where it becomes much harder to lose the weight. These are the vanity pounds. In the wild, such an excess is not particularly burdensome if you are strong, and is a treasure trove of energy for when times get tough. So it's harder to "convince" the body to get rid of it. Here is where simulating "tough times" through calorie restriction and intermittent fasting really help.

From what you've written it seems as though you're exercising enough and doing your IFs and cutting fruit and all that good stuff, so it's kind of perplexing to me. My only suggestion would be to cut the dairy, as well, since that has got me on the right track again, and do longer but more infrequent IFs, say a full 24 hours just once a week.

However, having said that, you are breastfeeding, and so you may be dealing with other evolutionary mechanisms in place to help keep a mother able to feed her infant. The hormones you are making now may be favoring fat retention for this reason. But I'm just speculating, here.
    Last edited by Grumpycakes; 04-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast