Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smugness - who has it? page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Smugness - who has it?

Shop Now
    Y'know, that feeling of smugness when all around you are eating their dessert of cake or whatever, then complaining afterward of wanting to die because they are so full?

I must also confess though, rage like feelings are in me when people talk about how much fat is in their meat like it's the worst thing the world has ever seen. I want to stand up and scream at this nonsense.

Help me MDA forum people, I think I'm about to go primal postal.

And also, I make no apology for the smugness, I love it! If cooking at home I like to make bacon for my dessert, the heathens mock while they eat their ice cream, I smugly smirk back.
    Last edited by smilingjustalittlebit; 09-13-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I silently judge people in the checkout line at the supermarket. Most are found...wanting.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I generally try to avoid feeling superior based on something like food choice.

I am a work in progress, and my view on nutrition (and life in general) changes over the course of time, as I gain more knowledge and experience with how my body reacts to different things.

Hold fast to the belief that what you are doing is the 'one true way' and you are robbed of the freedom to learn, grow and change.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    I silently judge people in the checkout line at the supermarket. Most are found...wanting.
    Guilty of this also!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The other day at our weekly breakfast I complimented the lady who brought the food. Wow, this bacon is really good for not being real bacon. She said, It IS real bacon, why did you think it wasn't? I said, Because all you guys always talk about low fat this and fat-free that so I just assumed it was turkey bacon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Hold fast to the belief that what you are doing is the 'one true way' and you are robbed of the freedom to learn, grow and change.
    Very well said.

I fell into the trap of believing in a "one true way" when I first started eating low-carb/Primal. I believed that any startch was bad and that fruit should be limited. I am now much less... dogmatic. I realize that different things work better (or worse) for different people.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    No, never.

I think that people need to choose for themselves what they put in their mouths; if they choose something against my ideals, then that's their problem (not mine) and I shouldn't judge them for it.

There are smug assholes in all walks of life, dietary or not: die-hard vegans, devout Christians, athletes, skinny chicks, ivy league grads, Volkswagen drivers, New Yorkers, iPad owners. Everyone can think their way is awesome... hell, we can each think we're brilliant with all of the answers, but once you get militant and self-righteous, the smugness will outshine the actual essence of what you believe in. You will stop being thought of as "that person who eats bacon for dessert" and will soon become "that douchebag who thinks they're better than everyone".

There's a reason why even the most devout church-goers can still think the guy standing on a soapbox, screaming at pedestrians for being sinners is a nutbag.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    smug [smuhg]
    adjective, smug·ger, smug·gest.
    1.contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness; complacent.
    2.excessively self-satisfied or complacent

Word Origin & History

smug
    1551, "trim, neat, spruce, smart," possibly an alteration of Low Ger. smuk "trim, neat," from M.L.G. smücken "to adorn," and smiegen "to press close" (see smock). The meaning "having a self-satisfied air" is from 1701, an extension of the sense of "smooth, sleek" (1582),
    which was commonly used of attractive women and girls.

I am going to have to say 50/50

I am "contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness;" this is correct (for me) and it is a superior way of life (from where I started) and i have abilities that others do not have (most of this is simple will power which did not come from primal)

I am not "excessively self-satisfied or complacent" nor am I an "attractive women and girls."

I am not a snob
    2.a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field: a Primal snob.

nor egotistical
    2.given to talking about oneself; vain; boastful; opinionated.
    3.indifferent to the well-being of others; selfish.

but may indeed be conceited
    1.an excessively favorable opinion of one's own ability, importance, wit, etc.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    Guilty of this also!
    Part of it is just the new convert's zeal which will mellow out over time. I never feel the urge to evangelize to anyone unless directly asked.

Maybe after 6 months more of Primal I can bask in the smugness of my non-judgmentality and evolve into a glowing ball of light.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast