Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smugness - who has it? page 4

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I have to avert my eyes at supermarkets to avoid looking at fat people with carts full of Pepsi for fear they'll see my thoughts on my face... Usually I say their body, their choice. BUT! Fat people with Pepsi and fat KIDS, though. Ooh, that grinds my gears.

I was in line at Walmart last night with 2 organic Greek yogurts. Two obese women in front of me had a FULL CART of processed foods... to entertain myself, I quizzed my boyfriend with a fun game, "What do you think is in _____?" with the checkout counter candy. Starbursts? Sugar + corn syrup + chemical stew. Yum.

Edit: One thing, though. It's EXPENSIVE to eat this way!!! I don't judge those who are eating as best they can on a budget. I feel sorry for them (EWWWW RBGH MILK BLECCCCH SO MUCH UDDER PUS). But when I see someone with a Coach bag going for the 40-pack of Pop Tarts I wanna be like "RECONSIDER YOUR PRIORITIES BEFORE ITS TOO LAAAATE" (In my head that was pronounced in a ghost voice...)
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 09-13-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    I was smug for a while, but I kept reading and researching. Eventually I learned just how much I hadn't yet learned and the smug went away.
    The one thing I 'know' (and even this might be wrong) is that no one actually knows anything about nutrition or how any of this works. It's all theory and guess work and trial and error. I think I've found what works for me, but I'm still tinkering and tweaking.

Okay. Maybe I'm still a little smug.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    I get random moments of smugness but I'm quickly brought back down to reality. People will make their choices regardless of my smugness and knowledge of the paleo life.

But.... I do feel sad for people without the knowledge. Like those people on the grocery line w a cart piled high w CRAP. I feel sad for their kids, their families. Sometimes I even feel guilty for their poor choices.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    i'm smug because i know something that the sheeple are too afraid to know.
    word!!!!!
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

andi c is offline Junior Member
    smug, no, not been on this long enough... but It does rather annoy me when people ask "wow, what are you doing to lose weight?" and I tell them, and they IMMEDIATELY fire back mockingly with "OH, your cholesterol! And No whole grains? that low carb stuff is blah blah blah blah...." (then DONT ASK ME.)

Someone today sent me a Visalus video, and asked me what I thought so I told her to run as fast as she could from the shakes. i got fired back upon, No, you dont know, they are great, my sister is on them, .... (well again. YOU ASKED ME.)

Whoever above mentioned vegans, pretty much summed it up for me. I NEVER want to behave like the vegans I have met. VERY Sanctimonious! One saw my cart loaded with meat and said, "ew, meat eaters!" (I would NEVER insult someone elses food choices like that, unsolicited and rude) i pointed to my teeth and said, I have incisors, they're meant for ripping meat." Then I reminded her that my food poops on her food. Not sure why she wont talk to me now.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andi c View Post
    smug, no, not been on this long enough... but It does rather annoy me when people ask "wow, what are you doing to lose weight?" and I tell them, and they IMMEDIATELY fire back mockingly with "OH, your cholesterol! And No whole grains? that low carb stuff is blah blah blah blah...." (then DONT ASK ME.)

Someone today sent me a Visalus video, and asked me what I thought so I told her to run as fast as she could from the shakes. i got fired back upon, No, you dont know, they are great, my sister is on them, .... (well again. YOU ASKED ME.)

Whoever above mentioned vegans, pretty much summed it up for me. I NEVER want to behave like the vegans I have met. VERY Sanctimonious! One saw my cart loaded with meat and said, "ew, meat eaters!" (I would NEVER insult someone elses food choices like that, unsolicited and rude) i pointed to my teeth and said, I have incisors, they're meant for ripping meat." Then I reminded her that my food poops on her food. Not sure why she wont talk to me now.
    Pesky vegans.

My girlfriend has 2 kids, their Dad is a vegan and is preaching to them about how unhealthy meat is. You should see this guy, he is a mess (and an asshole). When the little dude said to me, "Daddy says meat is unhealthy" I simply show him the guns and tell him they were built by bacon.

Persona bove talking about people being interested and then immediately scoffing, that is so damn true, and so damn annoying. As soon as it is mentioned to me I have to man the barricades because I know they are about to go on about fat, cholesterol and all the rest. Like the lady at work who told me I would die if I eat more than 1 egg a day, as she strolled down to the smoking shelter!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Most primal eaters I know definitely have an attitude, and it's not a positive one. Eating primal is not the only way to eat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am not smug at all. I see plenty of women of my age group who had more children than I do, who maintain a fantastic body and fitness level eating fruit, bread, granola, yogurts and peanut butter sandwiches, and, yes, taking those muffins and pieces of cakes at the meetings and parties, and I figure *they* have the case to be smug, not me. Me, I follow a rigorous diet with quite a lot of restriction and a fitness regimen to just keep the status quo. It is not a bad status quo, but not exactly stellar either.

I would be smug if I could eat anything I wanted, feel like million bucks and looked wonderfully ripped. THEN I would feel smug.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-14-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thrakk is offline Junior Member
    Every now and then I'll see a fatty biting into a block of chocolate and a few degrading thoughts cross my mind, but I for one think it's important to try to train myself not to feel the smugness. It's petty elitism to me, pure and simple.

As other people have said in this thread, the smug feelings you get when seeing someone load up on sugars and grains are the exact same feelings a vegan will have when looking at your grocery list. It's the same attitude many religious people (or atheists) feel when see people who don't share their beliefs. Ultimately we humans just seem to want to feel elite because we are part of some sub-culture. Start a new diet and lifestyle and next thing you know your ego takes over and you start feeling superior to everyone you walk past in the streets.

This sums it up nicely.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am not smug at all. I see plenty of women of my age group who had more children than I do, who maintain a fantastic body and fitness level eating fruit, bread, granola, yogurts and peanut butter sandwiches, and, yes, taking those muffins and pieces of cakes at the meetings and parties, and I figure *they* have the case to be smug, not me. Me, I follow a rigorous diet with quite a lot of restriction and a fitness regimen to just keep the status quo. It is not a bad status quo, but not exactly stellar either.

I would be smug if I could eat anything I wanted, feel like million bucks and looked wonderfully ripped. THEN I would feel smug.
    She may have that body, but does she feel as good as you? Doubt it!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast