Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Bar Opinions Needed page

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member

Olympic Bar Opinions Needed

Primal Fuel
    While cruising around the internets last night, a pair of squat stands caught my eye on Amazon. After an impulse click or 2, they're on their way to me and I need to figure out what I'm going to do for a barbell and weights. And a bench.

I've definitely determined that I want an olympic bar/plates setup. What I'm wondering is whether I need a 7-footer.

The condo I live in is small, as am I. I hope, but doubt whether I'll ever squat 315 or deadlift much over 400#.

There are some 6-foot (and even 5') olympic bars that claim to be rated for 600 pounds.

I do occasionally perform "jerky motion" types of lifts (cleans, etc...). But not with anything much greater than my body weight (135#).

The stands are independent. So I can move them as close together or far apart as necessary.

So, what length barbell do I need, and any suggestions where to get a good deal? I know of a semi-local place that I'm sure has good prices, but I don't want to go in there undecided and walk out with something far beyond my needs.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    go with the 7 footer. then you won't regret not having enough bar for whatever you're doing. also, there is that place near my house that you could check out. that's where i got mine, and the prices are great.

Yeah, the Hulk's brother's place, right? I'm gonna give them a call once they open at 11.

I was sort of hoping there would be a concensus of the 6 footer being okay, mostly due to space concerns.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    haha! yeah, the hulk's brother's place... he's a nice guy. not green though.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Go for the 7 footer The bar can be leaned in a corner when you aren't using it.

I'd recommend a rogue fitness bar.

--Me

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Just get the 7' bar. There's only 4.3 feet of grip on one anyway, so even for a smaller guy, shortening it may be an issue.

Alright, I'm eventually getting a 7-footer. Probably CAP Barbell OB-86B. The Rogue is a bit out of my price range, and probably more bar than I need, all things considered. Thanks to all for the input.

No worries. The funny thing about bars, though, assuming you don't just exercise for 6 months and quit, is that you always go up in weight eventually

I started with a standard bar (hey, I had plenty of standard weights for dumbbells from my childhood). But when the deadlifts got to 400lbs, the frown the bar would make (literally) was scaring the **** out of me.

You can get a good rogue fitness bar for ~$200 IIRC.

Right now ,the Rogue Economy Bar is on sale for $199 (no, I don't work for Rogue ) as part of a closeout sale. I'd jump on it. It is standard Olympic size and weight.

--Me

That bar isn't actually available. That price was a closeout price on an old model, and it's sold out.

I'm not a novice lifter, I'm just a novice equipment owner. The amount I can lift isn't going to go up by that much. If it does, I won't mind the expense of a $300 bar, but I can't swing it at the moment.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That bar isn't actually available. That price was a closeout price on an old model, and it's sold out.

I'm not a novice lifter, I'm just a novice equipment owner. The amount I can lift isn't going to go up by that much. If it does, I won't mind the expense of a $300 bar, but I can't swing it at the moment.
    I'll shut up now Sorry about the bad link, I didn't actually pay attention to see if it was all sold out.

Enjoy working out at home, I certainly love it! I'm more motivated at home than I ever was in a gym.

--Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast