Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Paleo Stop the Infertility Epidemic? page 9

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    No, violence is never the solution to problems.

We were doing just great getting rid of poverty until the government came along and declared war against it.
    Yes, I know that.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    If water becomes very expensive, then more people get into the water business because there is a lot of profit to be made in water. Entrepreneurs then find innovative ways to look for new water, say deep underground, or perhaps from arctic ice, or converting salt water into fresh water.
    So in the interim, when people are looking for solutions to water shortages, while there are shortages, those who can afford water get it and those who can't either go without or are forced to use polluted or unsafe water. This would, of course, solve the overpopulation problem.

Take another example, where fresh water is hard to find in a local area where a disaster has hit, say some hurricane. If the price of fresh water does not sky rocket, then it would mean that the limited amounts of water would go to the people who first buy it instead of the people who most need it.
    No, it comes down to who can afford it. Often, the people who need it most are the ones least likely to afford the gouging that goes on during disasters, as they often live in substandard housing or in areas more prone to flooding, collapse, and often don't have the means to get out in time to escape being trapped without the cash to pay the higher prices. Once again, there's the "solution" to the over-population problem.

If hurricane Katrina hits and something happens to you and you need fresh water and gas to get to a hospital to survive, then the only way you can be assured you will get that water is if prices are allowed to go up. If government comes in and tries to control prices, then you end up with shortages. Then the people who most need the resources do not get them.
    But who pays for it? Do only people with the money, most likely cash on hand, get injured?

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I don't have a whole lot to contribute on your other points, but this one is so obviously oversimplified and not well thought-out that I want to point it out.
    Well, please keep in mind that I probably totally butchered what Dr. Block actually said. Walter Block is a professor and he teaches this stuff for a living. I'm an engineer and I need to learn a lot of details on other topics.

That being said, you raise valid points, and Dr. Block does indeed mention that giving everyone a house and stuffing them in Texas does not include farm land, and stores, etc.

Also, the example of stuffing everyone in a cube, the cube would have to be 1 mile cubed, not squared (just a correction I wanted to make)

It's best that you respond to what was actually said in the video, since responding to my poor recollection of the actual arguments is not quite as impressive.

However, in a totally free market, if the population were so large that resources were becoming scarce and prices started to rise, then it would become more difficult to raise children and populations would go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    So in the interim, when people are looking for solutions to water shortages, while there are shortages, those who can afford water get it and those who can't either go without or are forced to use polluted or unsafe water. This would, of course, solve the overpopulation problem.

No, it comes down to who can afford it. Often, the people who need it most are the ones least likely to afford the gouging that goes on during disasters, as they often live in substandard housing or in areas more prone to flooding, collapse, and often don't have the means to get out in time to escape being trapped without the cash to pay the higher prices. Once again, there's the "solution" to the over-population problem.

But who pays for it? Do only people with the money, most likely cash on hand, get injured?
    If you are so poor that you can't afford a 200% increase in the price of water, then that must be because you are being paid in worthless paper which the government issues for you.

A gallon of water here costs about $1, so even a massive sky rocketing increase in the price of water to $5 or $10 per gallon is still affordable. If you can't afford $10 in a life threatening situation, this is the fault of the worthless government fiat money paid to you when you subjugate yourself to the bankers while performing your slave labor.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    If you are so poor that you can't afford a 200% increase in the price of water, then that must be because you are being paid in worthless paper which the government issues for you.

A gallon of water here costs about $1, so even a massive sky rocketing increase in the price of water to $5 or $10 per gallon is still affordable. If you can't afford $10 in a life threatening situation, this is the fault of the worthless government fiat money paid to you when you subjugate yourself to the bankers while performing your slave labor.
    So, if you can't afford the $10 water - it's your own fault and you deserve to die?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    So, if you can't afford the $10 water - it's your own fault and you deserve to die?
    Yes, that is exactly what he said...come on now...
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Actually, if you really could not afford the $10, then you would have to rely on the charity of friends, family, neighbors, and church -- not government.

This actually forces people to be nice to one another.

If you get all your charity through government, then there is no incentive for people to be nice to each other. You can be a total jerk to your friends, family, neighbors and church because the government will always be there to take care of you.

It's rare that I don't have at least $100 on me, usually more. Were I in a life threatening situation and I needed that water I would buy as much as I could, as would anyone else who had the money on them. During shortages, perceived and real, people horde. All that allowing vendors to gouge does is make sure that the vendors make buck on people's misery and only those who can afford an unexpected hit of a few hundred dollars (I can) can get the supplies they need, while those who can't go without. And do you have any idea how long a gallon of water lasts? How long it takes for services to be back up and running during a disaster? One gallon? I'd be buying as much as I could carry if I thought I needed it. So this would basically limit the amount poor people could buy while ensuring that people like me could afford as much as we needed.

Actually, if you really could not afford the $10, then you would have to rely on the charity of friends, family, neighbors, and church -- not government.

This actually forces people to be nice to one another.

If you get all your charity through government, then there is no incentive for people to be nice to each other. You can be a total jerk to your friends, family, neighbors and church because the government will always be there to take care of you.
    Well, in the case of a disaster my neighbors would be in the same boat as me, my family wouldn't be able to get help to me and the churches would already be swamped. I may be fairly comfortable financially but at $10 a pop my charity would only go so far. While I would certainly do what I could to help those around me I wouldn't be dropping the thousands of dollars it would cost to help those that could be helped for much less without the price gouging. And where are the churches supposed to get the money and supplies if vendors can charge whatever they want?

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    this might have been an interesting conversation on how diet and fertility work together (with some clarifications around other issues), but now. . .

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast