Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fractured Ankle page

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Fractured Ankle

Primal Fuel
    Long story short... on Wednesday I tried to walk on air and wound up splatting on my concrete porch. (I wasn't even trying to have fun; it was during housework.) So now I'm hobbling around with a compression boot, and it's exhausting!

I know ankle fractures are common. Any helpful hints?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Follow your doctor's orders is #1. Try to stay active as you can within the guidelines that your doctor gave you. Ankles are tricky to heal due to it being such a weight bearing joint.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Do what you can.

Lower body injury means upper body training, and vice versa. On top of that follow any recovery methods you can, I still think to this day that massaging an injury is the best natural method. Don't forget to rest, if it hurts then stop.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Message, message, message,

I had a bad break back in 1997 that plagued me for years. It never felt as if it healed properly. Last June I developed a really bad case of plantar fasciitis in the same foot. After the doctors recommendations failed to bring any relief I began doing bare foot strengthening exercise and getting regular messages. I now wear VFF's whenever possible and after eliminating all wheat from my diet I am virtually pain free. I would say get a good message therapist and let them start working on it as soon as you can stand for it to be touched. The boot is the same as a cast and as your break heals your muscles and ligaments will weaken. If possible ask your doctor to prescribe physical therapy, but if not seek out a good message therapist on your own.

I've got an appointment with an orthopedist next Thursday; I guess he's going to check to make sure things are healing properly and I'll ask him about exercises and massage. Right now massage is out of the question: it's still pretty swollen and sore.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Although I've not used it myself, the herb comfrey's other name is "Knitbone" (Latin name Symphytum officinale)

I broke my foot a few years ago, and tried to keep wiggling my toes and keep as much movement as possible, to keep the blood circulating through.

You can do more once your cast is off, in terms of re-strengthening your calf muscles, just remember everything upwards of your ankle will be out of balance as you've compensated for the immobility and pain.

Hope you feel better soon!

The really cool thing is that because it's a "stable fracture", I do NOT have a cast; I have a compression boot that I can take on and off whenever I want! I have the boot on whenever I need to walk, of course, but I can take it off to sleep at night or shower, at which times I wrap an ankle support around it. Lots of toe wiggling opportunities.

I'll have to look for the comfrey. Does it taste decent as a tea?

Yay, I got to ditch my compression boot today! The orthopedist x-rayed my ankle, and was amazed that the break is healed already.

Tomorrow I can start riding my bike again. Wheeeeeeeee!! (Will still be a little while before I can get back to burpees and sprints.)

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Wow, DM!!!
    That was a record recovery--- but I wouldn't have expected anything less from you...

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dragonmamma, my mother also broke her ankle last Thursday, she fractured her tibia and fibula so badly she needed an operation and a plaque plus some nails. She was in so much pain when she broke it she passed out. Shes doing good though, but hopefully yours wasn't as bad as hers...
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast