Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatty, slighlty salty-sweet snack page

Ms. R is offline Junior Member

Fatty, slighlty salty-sweet snack

Primal Fuel
    I just took a job teaching in Japan and I would like to further primalize my diet. By 4:00 I'm exhausted and I find myself eating a lot of chocolate when I get home or if I go to the store I crave something like potato chips. What kind of snack could I take with me to work each day to eat at 4:00? I'm not a huge fan of nuts as a snack, and almond-based paleo baked goods hurt my tummy. Is there something maybe made with coconut milk with a little salt and honey? I know the fat-salt-sweet combo is particularly irresistible to people and I think something with it, in a small amount, with healthy components, would really hit the spot at that time of day. I know I should be making other changes in my life so I don't feel so tired then, but any snack ideas for now would be greatly appreciated.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Bacon. Sounds like you want bacon.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    When I had an extended business stay in Japan, I loved the options at the 7-11 and Lawson convenience stores. You can probably find rice and some kind of seafood wrapped in nori in the refrigerator section. (Yeah, yeah, rice isn't exactly primal but it can curb that craving of yours and provide good protein and nutrients from the fish and seaweed!) Also, I know it may look gross but the hot foods they have near the counters can actually be good - much better than the spinning hot dogs at American 7-11's! They have chicken, beef, pork, etc. on a stick and it's fairly cheap, if memory serves me correct.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    When I was hunting for the same thing, I came across a recipe that I made a few times that kinda seemed to fit the bill.

3 Tbsp coconut oil
    2 Tbsp unsweetened caocao powder
    1 dropperful of flavored liquid stevia (think vanilla, orange, english toffe, chocolate)
    coarse himalayan salt

Mix first three ingredients very well then pour into molds (I used mini cupcake papers). Sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate or freeze until solid.

It may not be the best for primal but I don't think it's the worst either.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Bacon sounds good, and if you want to add sweet to it, dip it in melted dark chocolate and chill in the fridge.

Also, fat + sweet: 1 small avocado, cut in half and a teaspoon of balsamic in each of the hollows left by the seed. Shake a little salt on it and its got the sweet/salt thing you crave.

tcoop2232 is offline Junior Member
    I recommend checking this out: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread3492.html

It's for Coconut "Chips". The recipe is very flexible. I toast the coconut flakes with coconut oil, then mix with Cinnamon and Salt. I love it!

Ms. R is offline Junior Member
    I haven't tried any of those yet! They look much better than what you'd get in the US, but I need things to be gluten free and I'm not sure if those are. I will have to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    When I had an extended business stay in Japan, I loved the options at the 7-11 and Lawson convenience stores. You can probably find rice and some kind of seafood wrapped in nori in the refrigerator section. (Yeah, yeah, rice isn't exactly primal but it can curb that craving of yours and provide good protein and nutrients from the fish and seaweed!) Also, I know it may look gross but the hot foods they have near the counters can actually be good - much better than the spinning hot dogs at American 7-11's! They have chicken, beef, pork, etc. on a stick and it's fairly cheap, if memory serves me correct.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea what is available in Japanese grocery store, but I made a snack the other day that hit all the fat-salty-sweet notes.

Take fresh figs (I used black mission) and cut them in half. Put them cut side up on a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Put Gorgonzola (or another soft cheese like feta or etc.) on top and press them into the fig a bit. Wrap a piece of bacon around the pieces, and then bake at 350 until the cheese is melted and the bacon is at your desired crispiness level. Let cool a bit, and then pop into your mouth. Yum. Too many of these will more than meet your daily fruit-sugar requirement.... but it is a lovely mix of sweet and salty and fatty creaminess. Would make great hors d'oeurvres for a fancy party, too.

Have no idea if you can re-create this recipe in Japan...sorry.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I've started throwing macadamia nuts in the food processor with dates and blitzing until it can be formed into a ball. Chilling would likely stiffen it up a bit. I know you said you don't much care for nuts, but if it's just plain nuts, this might work for you.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    I've started throwing macadamia nuts in the food processor with dates and blitzing until it can be formed into a ball. Chilling would likely stiffen it up a bit. I know you said you don't much care for nuts, but if it's just plain nuts, this might work for you.
    hmmmmm BIKE FUEL! Now I have something if I don't want to take jerky and dried cherries. For some reason I hadn't thought about something so simple!

Ok, I will control myself now and go back to reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast