Thread: My apples! page

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member

My apples!

Shop Now
    Waah! Mice has been at my apple trees this winter. The bark has been stripped off of the trunk at the base. I have two small apple trees in my garden. One was chewed down by an elk the other winter, this winter mice.

The elk damage was just pruning, but the stripping of the bark is another matter. Anyone have any good tip on how to make sure the tree doesn't rot?

I was so looking forward to enjoy home grown apples this fall. *sigh*

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Isn't there a bad tasting substance to paint on the tree trunks every year to keep pests away? Might be too late if the bark is already gone, though.

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    We enclose our trees with chicken wire fencing every winter.

vnumus is offline Junior Member
    Run and buy some jack russell terrorists (terriers). I have two and they will kill the mice or any other small animals they come across. The elk might be in trouble as well.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    I'd schedule an appointment with a tree-doctor. They might be able to save the tree.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    That's a bummer -- is the tree "girdled" (i.e., the bark is removed all the way around the trunk)? Unfortunately, we've lost most trees that has happened to; fortunately, there haven't been many. For us, it seemed to happen to younger trees, so in the fall -- just before winter -- we got in the habit of putting these white plastic coily things around the bases of the trees we really wanted to protect until they got a little older (so far the mice haven't been so interested in more mature tress). We've patched more minor bark damage with a tar like coating that's made for that purpose. But there might be a way to deal with a girdled tree -- maybe check with a local nursery?

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your replies everybody - the bark has been stripped all the way around, and it seems like they have chewed a bit into the wood as well. I'll have a talk with a local garden shop and see if they have something to patch the wound with. Not to mention to get something to protect the bark with for next year.

We've had the trees for a couple of years now, but they are still young. Never had any mice on them before. As for Jack Russel Terriers - we have two big, male ocicats. Great for hunting mice - and other pest.