Thread: The freshman -15 page

vpostman is offline Junior Member

The freshman -15

Shop Now
    Hey all,

So /I/ thought it was a clever title . Anyway...

Because being in college in the city has opened my eyes to the sheer number of ways you can get fat and die, I've decided to partake in this year's Primal 21 day transform thingy, with the hopes of continuing the lifestyle as long as I live and don't have to be fed through a tube.

I live around Atlanta (a bit North-wise). I am a 20 year old and a new college freshman, so I'm under a lot of social pressure to eat snacks whose ingredients I view as dangerous and unfit for human consumption (sun chips, much?). Especially being a mathematics major, I notice a lot of my fellow geeks are conforming to the classic "energy-drink guzzling, cheeto-munching" stereotype, and I really don't want to fall into that.

I also have a family history of diabetes and dementia. I watched my grandmother's mind go due to Alzheimer's, and now I'm watching my grandfather's body decay totally due to an unhealthy long-term relationship with refined sugars. And I've learned that it's a really sad and debilitating thing to lose your health, because you can never get it back again. If I, or for that matter anyone, can make a simple and reasonable series of decisions to preserve that most valuable asset into old age, then how can I refuse?

It should be an interesting ride: I am under 175 and almost six feet, with some muscle mass, quite a bit of endurance, and in decent working shape. I doubt I will lose any weight, and I don't expect to gain that much either. But I do suffer from occasional (mild) mental side effects likely related to low T, and I have occasional joint and muscle problems and GERD. So it should be interesting to test the effects of my new eating habits on all of those things.

I'm very exited about---and extremely confident in---- this undertaking! Wish me well guys.

Best,
    Kevin Daley

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    kevin, welcome aboard.
    staying primal in college is easier than you might think. the hardest part is the cost...beef jerky and almonds cost more than doritos. but, it's not too difficult, and there are plenty of tips on this forum and in mark's posts. plus, once you get all the primal pillars and college figured out, you can really start to experiment and show your classmates that when it comes to energy, fasting will kick the crap out of any energy drink.
    regarding your family history, there is obviously tons of things about diabetes here. but, take some time to search mark's posts at some point...i remember he wrote up a great post about how an ancestral diet--with plenty of saturated fat--is actually superb prevention for degenerative brain diseases like Alzheimers.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    canned salmon, onions, pickle, salt pepper, get to love it
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

vpostman is offline Junior Member
    Hey cheers guys!

@rob, Thanks! I'll definitely take a look at all of that.
    @quelsen, fortunately, I won't be leaving home until I have a degree. So cost won't be a problem so much. The main issue is avoiding all of the other non-primal food there is everywhere. It takes so much more discipline to stay primal when you can't just remove stuff from your pantry ;P.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vpostman View Post
    Hey cheers guys!

@rob, Thanks! I'll definitely take a look at all of that.
    @quelsen, fortunately, I won't be leaving home until I have a degree. So cost won't be a problem so much. The main issue is avoiding all of the other non-primal food there is everywhere. It takes so much more discipline to stay primal when you can't just remove stuff from your pantry ;P.
    since you are male i wont pull punches.

SACK THE FRAK UP... seriously.

are you a man or a wuss? nobody controls what you put in your mouth but you. temptation is a fine mistress to blame shit on but last time i checked.

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.
    Eat so much real food you cant bear to think on eating another bit then move thru your day with confidence and ease.

anything else is giving up and giving in and i suspect you to too much a man to be a panty waste
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com