Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Difwiz) page

difwiz is offline Junior Member

Talking Primal Journal (Difwiz)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone. I just signed up for the forum, but I have been feeling my way around the primal way of eating for about 2 weeks. I am going to try to post what I have to eat each day here. The thing I am most worried about is getting in a rut. I tried to go paleo about a year ago and got in a rut of eating too much meat and not enough veggies and fruit. If I seem to be heading in that direction, please call me out on it. Please call me out on anything that I might be doing that is not in line with the primal way of eating. Nobody in my family will do this with me (not my husband at home nor my family around the country - we post our daily meals on loseit.com and pictures of our food on a "secret" group in Facebook so we can cheer each other on, but lately they have been harping on all of the eggs and saturated fat I am eating as I go primal), so I am hoping you guys can be my Primal Family.

Breakfast: 3 pastured eggs with a few pieces of Trader Joe's Unexpected Cheddar

Lunch: a variation of the grape and chicken salad in the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook - maybe 1.25 cups? (I didn't have the cookbook handy, so I guessed on portions of ingredients and actual ingredients...forgot the onion though). It came out pretty good. I did add some crumbled bacon to it (about 2 strips to the entire mix which contained 4 chicken breasts)...i know that isn't in the original recipe, but it was a nice addition.

Afternoon snack: 2 or 3 strips of chocolate-dipped bacon. I saw this recipe a few days ago on a paleo food plan website and had to give it a try. I used the most natural bacon I could find (it was too thin though - need to use thicker bacon next time) and dipped it in a combination of the Chocolove 70% and Chocolove 77% dark bars melted with 2 Tbsp grass-fed Icelandic butter. The bacon was way too thin to really add any significant taste and crunch, but the chocolate was amazing. I didn't eat too much of it though because of the small amount of sugar in the chocolate, but I wanted to. (while I was making this last night, I had some extra chocolate and dipped some sliced apples in it too. YUM!!!).

Snack while contemplating dinner: I made some coconut ice cream last night (1 can coconut milk, 2 eggs, and a splash of vanilla) and I put some in a bowl and topped it with peeled, sliced peaches that I first cooked up in a little butter and cinnamon. The ice cream wasn't that good, but the peaches sure were! I might have to add the peaches to the ice cream in the ice cream making process next time to give some natural sweetness to the ice cream.

Dinner: A bowl of the Paleo Comfort Foods grape chicken recipe. I topped it with a few crumbles of the TJ's unexpected cheddar, 5 olives, and, because I want to get rid of it somehow, a snack-size round of TJ's mini-brie.

Exercise: I wanted to go for a walk with my husband tonight because the weather has finally turned cooler, but he got home too late (and too hungry) to go for a walk before dark. Maybe tomorrow.

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Difwiz! Thanks for your post, I appreciate the encouragement! Welcome to the forum I know it can be hard when your family members eat things that we don't usually like to. It's great to be able to connect with so many other people who are doing the same things we are I'll keep an eye out for your journal, and maybe we can remind each other to post if we go missing (as I tend to do!!)

Ok - today didn't go exactly as planned. I had some leftover hamburger meat from my DH's dinner last night that I threw some taco spices on before I put it in the fridge...I was going to use this as a mix-in with some veggies to put in some eggs this morning for breakfast, but I was derailed in my morning routine (I had to go out to a client this morning and I realized with 20 minutes until I had to be out the door that the manicure I got a few weeks ago had finally seen its last day and needed to be re-done (somewhat badly) by me this morning).

I ended up getting to the office on time, but I didn't bring any breakfast with me (nor lunch). I ended up getting a Tall Pike in a Grande cup at SBUX this morning on my way to the client (I get a Tall in a Grande so I can add cream without it spilling over) but I didn't eat anything solid until I got back from the client and headed over to Chipotle. So, here is what I had today:

Breakfast: Coffee with half and half. I think they have cream at SBUX, but I have never asked. I should do that next time.

Lunch: Chipotle salad with triple veggies (onions and peppers), barbacoa, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole.

Dinner: My DH's company had their 40th anniversary party tonight so I had a few sips of my husband's beer (a local craft brew - I rarely drink beer, but I like to taste the local stuff once in a while), some steamed shrimp, some asparagus spears (I at first put some of the "ranch dip" they had there on them, but after tasting the "ranch dip", I had to throw those first asparagus spears away - the dip ruined the veggies), the BBQ from inside a few BBQ sliders (threw away the buns), a few cubes of cheese, and a bunch of the spinach and artichoke dip. The BBQ goes amazingly well just sitting on top of a pile of spinach and artichoke dip.
    Difwiz

Follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/difwiz

I saw on someone else's journal that they took the Grok principles and laid them out each day and wrote what they did for each of them and I have been toying with doing that...it would help me make sure that I am addressing each of the areas, but I am also a little afraid that it would be too much too soon and I would overwhelm myself with trying to do too much. I think I will journal like this for a week and then gradually add the Grok principles one by one.
    Difwiz

I was reading the MDA posts for today and I saw the one where they are giving away the sand bag workout thingy. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I went to their site and it looks interesting enough, but a bit expensive.
    Difwiz

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you did really well today, despite your unplanned/less-than-ideal circumstances! I love chipotle I think adding the principles one by one sounds like a good idea, working up to having the full list. Have a good night!

Ok - I wasn't able to post yesterday for various reasons, but here is what I had:

Breakfast: 1/2 of a breakfast frittata that had 3 eggs, 1/2 pound of taco meat seasoned with Penzey's taco seasoning, some zucchini, onions, and green peppers, and some TJ's Unexpected Cheddar.

Lunch: 3 leaves green leaf lettuce, torn, with about 1.5 cups of the grape & chicken salad.

Afternoon snack: 1 snack round of TJ's brie, a handful of walnuts, and 6 olives (3 black, 3 kalamata)

Dinner: barbacoa salad from Chipotle with triple veggies, sour cream, and cheese
    Difwiz

Today has been a strange day so far. I had some coffee on the way to work this morning (I had to go in to catch up on some stuff that built up when I was out of the office this week). I didn't have breakfast until just now, and I guess I would call that brunch?

Brunch: the rest of the egg/taco/veggie frittata from yesterday and 2 slices of dark chocolate-dipped bacon.

Weight-wise, I have kind of kept even this week, but I haven't been doing much moving...no walking outside or inside, no swimming, no nothing. So even though I think I have been eating ok, I believe my lack of progress on the scale is attributable to not moving. And not drinking enough water. The place I have been working for the past week or so has water that tastes horrible. When I remember to, I get a venti ice water from SBUX, but I don't always remember, and when I do remember, I drink it and can't fill it up again because the water at the office is gross. So I have basically been thirsty all week long. And I am so tired when I get home that I basically forget to drink water until bedtime.

My goals for the rest of the day:

Move - go for a walk - at least 30 minutes at a comfortable pace

Drink water - I want to try to get rid of what I think is a dehydration headache, so my goal is to drink until I am not thirsty anymore (but not too much at once) or until my headache is gone.
    Difwiz

The rest of my day was pretty good. I went for a 30 minute walk and got some sun.

We had dinner at Maggiano's and I had a caprese salad and a side chopped salad with shrimp. I didn't have any bread or any of the fried (breaded) mozzarella that my husband had.

Our dinner was a bit early so I had a snack a little while ago - a few olives, some brie, cheddar, and some walnuts. Oh, and a glass of red wine.

I am drinking some water now and had water at dinner, so I think I am doing ok on that front. My headache has gone away, so I think I am a little closer to being better hydrated.

We are going apple picking tomorrow and then to Michie Tavern for lunch, so it will be a fun day. You are allowed to eat a few apples off the trees as you are picking them, so I will be having a few of those. Michie Tavern has SUCH GOOD FOOD. They have BBQ, stewed tomatoes, beets, and green beans. In the past, when I went there, I focused more on the mashed potatoes and the yummy biscuits, but I will be focusing on the meat and veggies this time around. I am SO looking forward to this trip. The only thing I think I will really miss will be the apple cider donuts. YUM. I know my husband will be eating at least 6 of them (they go down pretty easily...kind of the way Krispy Kreme do) and they are so fresh and hot that I know I will be salivating, but I will keep my cool and keep my mitts to myself. I hope.

Ok...back to watching Notre Dame kick the pants off Michigan State...so far.
    Difwiz

I went apple picking yesterday and had coffee with half and half for breakfast; 1.5 apples while on the mountain picking apples (we got Jonagold....so good!!); bbq pork, green beans, beets, cole slaw, baked chicken, and stewed tomatoes for lunch; and icelandic lamb sauteed in butter, over zucchini spaghetti (also sauteed in butter), with zucchini center chunks, a hard-boiled egg, some olives, and some greek yogurt as a sauce. I felt so great yesterday.

I woke up this morning and I have been feeling off all day long. I was super groggy this morning and have been tired all day. Here is what I had to eat:

Breakfast: coffee with half and half
    Snack: an apple with some almond butter
    Lunch: Boeuf Bourguignon (Julia Child's recipe, but without the flour and using butter and coconut oil)
    Dinner: some olives, a single-serving round of brie, and about 1/2 cup of walnuts

I was still hungry after dinner, so I had about 1/2 cup of pistachios, 2 string cheeses, and a glass of wine.

My stomach hurts but I am not sure from what.

Am I eating the wrong foods....or the wrong mixes of foods....or too much food....or too much of certain foods????
    Difwiz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast