Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sleep question page 2

Kylex286 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fes31129 View Post
    Kyle, its a logistical issue as there aren't enough hours in the day.
    Here is a quick run through of my day
    wake up at 05:30AM, get on train a little after 6 and commute 2 hours to work. Get off work at 5, and get on a train and commute back getting to crossfit at 7, get done and get home about 8:30. Now it's tiime to eat, shower, prepare meals for the next day laundry... so lights out around 11-11:30. Afternoon napping is not an option as i like being gainfully employed. This is my schedule 4 of the 5 days of work week.
    Alright, well with that schedule, I would think napping during your commute, if you feel comfortable, would be a good option. Though, I will say that I agree with most other people that if you feel energized it's fine. But personally i think 6 hours, and that's if you get a good solid block, isn't enough to maintain health.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Kyle, its a logistical issue as there aren't enough hours in the day.
    Here is a quick run through of my day
    wake up at 05:30AM, get on train a little after 6 and commute 2 hours to work. Get off work at 5, and get on a train and commute back getting to crossfit at 7, get done and get home about 8:30. Now it's tiime to eat, shower, prepare meals for the next day laundry... so lights out around 11-11:30. Afternoon napping is not an option as i like being gainfully employed. This is my schedule 4 of the 5 days of work week.
    Gosh, that is a heck of a long way to commute each day. Could you not consider changing jobs or moving closer to your work. I know its easier said than done, but I think doing that commute for too long would burn you out.

fes31129 is offline Junior Member
    Anne, I could move closer but then I have to pay Manhattan prices to live. I could change jobs to something closer but then it involves a pay cut. Its not the greatest situation but life is life and you have to deal. I do sleep on the train, I would say I probably get anywhere between 30 and 75 minutes of total extra sleep on the commute which does put my sleep amount at about 6.5 to 7.15. I sleep about 9 hours on saturday and 10 on sunday.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    mmmm, i don't know. The blogs of Mark on getting at least 8 or 9 hours of sleep are one of the few I quite disagree with!

My fiancÚ needs at least 9 hours to function, (and 10+ in the weekend). I really only need 6 hours, but since recently try to take a short nap after lunch or around 16h. It could be you are the same, and I know many people who can function well on 6 hours a night (but some need repair sleep in the weekend).

I think the need of sleep varies widely from person to person and maybe also from period to (life) period. Anyways, I experiment laying down at least 8 hours in a row for this month.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Fes, I have finally got my sleeping sorted after 3 years of ache, and unwell-ness. I have been primal for about 5 months.
    However - if I drink alcohol, I do not sleep as well.
    I also find that if I do stimulating things at night ie: watch tele, use the computer, get a phone call, etc.... I also do not sleep very well. Everyone knows not to call me with bad or good news at night. Wait until the morning - unless I really should be told. These sorts of things wind me up mentally, and I so can't get to sleep, let alone stay asleep.
    Anyway just some ideas that might work ?? Good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    You must be either in NJ or on Long Island. We used to live in NJ. We moved once while there, closer to hubby's NJ workplace, and shaved an hour off the ride each way. Did that for a while, and then we asked to telecommute and bailed the state altogether, as it really wasn't worth not ever seeing hubby (or hubby missing his daughters growing up) what with the long work days and then the commute all 5 days, and sometimes week-long travel. If you are going into Manhattan, I feel your pain - I used to commute from Aberdeen NJ to Newark NJ on the NJ Transit, then onto the PATH to the WTC. Originally, I took the Academy Bus line from Freehold NJ all the way in. God, how I hated the Holland Tunnel!

Anyway, have you ever found out how much sleep you really need? I am perfect between 7 and 8 hours, less and the lack creeps up on me where I need to sleep for 11 or 12 hours every so often, and more sleep and I am sluggish all day. If you are a 7-hours person, I think that you will be fine, especially as you are regularly getting long, deep sleep at home on the weekends and the 6-hours thing only is 4 of 5 days. If you have the opportunity to better the schedule, I would take it as soon as you could, just to reclaim those commuting hours, if nothing else!!

Mark obviously hasn't lived in the tri-state area. But how are you feeling? Can you do your work without suffering from lethargy? Do you have the energy to do Crossfit as you would like? Are you falling asleep every time you sit down?

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    It is definiteley important to overall health. If you can't sleep straight through the night, try and take naps.

fes31129 is offline Junior Member
    Crabcakes, yes I am from LI. In college i dated a girl from Abberdeen, but that was a long time ago but I remember enough that it would not be a fun commute to Manhattan. Honestly, I don't think I need 8-9 hours. If i get 6.5 or 7 hours straight sleep i feel great, energy for the whole day if my diet is in check. I like 8-9 on the weekends but that's more of a treat then a necessity I feel. That's why i was wondering if the 8-9 was a hard and fast rule. If I get less than 6.5 consistently then I will need that 11-12 hour day every so often like you mentioned.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Crabcakes, yes I am from LI. ... I remember enough that it would not be a fun commute to Manhattan.
    Hah! Yes. Born & raised on LI myself, before my dad got a new job in Nassau County, he worked in mid-town and drove (!!!!) there. Needless to say, the commute didn't allow him to nap during it, so he was very familiar with little sleep every night. For some reason, though, my father has always been the kind of person to be perfectly happy and functional on 5-6 hours of sleep. He exercises for at least a half hour ever morning, bikes on the weekends, and still can't stay asleep past 6am!

I, on the other hand, love sleep. I adore it. I want as much as possible. For me, getting that much sleep requires a few things:

-Going to bed the same time every night (weekends are a bit different, but usually I get sleepy at the same time I go to bed on weekdays).
    -Having a window open. Listening to nighttime sounds - crickets, wind, a distant trolley, etc. - helps ease me to sleep.
    -Showering at night. I've luckily always been a night-showerer, so this is easy for me to do. If I skip a shower, I definitely can't fall asleep as easily.
    -Exercising at night. I'm not one of those who feels energetic after a work-out; in fact, it's the exact opposite! My nightly routine is make dinner>>eat dinner>>TV time>>exercise>>shower>>zzzzzz...

I rarely wake up to my alarm; if I do, that's a sign I went to bed too late and my body is like... NEED MOAR SLEEP!
    Last edited by MissJecka; 09-14-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I HATE the fact sleep is so important for health, I'm not good at it. However, even though I don't get enough sleep I think, I still make gym gains, so I can tell you that to build muscle 8 hours is not absolutely needed, though it will help.
    Yeah... you're still benefiting massively from the anabolic hormonal environment that is called teenagerhood in that regard, Gadsie. You might not be able to get away with too little sleep as easily in a few years. Teenage males can get stronger practically just by thinking about lifting weights.

OP, sleep is very important and chronically getting too little of it WILL have negative effects on your mood, energy, weight, health and longevity. It makes you more likely to be fat and puts you at a much higher risk for all manner of inflammation-related diseases and disorders, including cardiovascular disease and diabetes AFAIK. So do your best to change your situation if you find your lifestyle doesn't permit you to sleep!
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 09-14-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12