Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ahh, Santa Barbara, where the streets are paved with avocados page 2

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    We have wild persimmons.....just thought you'd like to know.

Oh and black walnut.
    Last edited by Lynna; 09-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    My dog adores avocado. Whenever I'm peeling them for a salad or guac, if there are any little brown or bruised spots that aren't "pretty" enough for me, I just toss them on the tile floor and he slurps them right up. And the tile ends up cleaner than it started.

And Tercio, you're right. The too crowded point was passed about 1975.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-12-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    You know, sb, you have an evil side to you... posting pics of gutter-residing avos, knowing that most of us here would have to take out loans if we wanted to have avos until we can't eat any more of them. Hrmph.

Well, I don't have avocados, but I do have local dandelion wine, so there!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Bwuaahhahahaha. Yes, I'm eviiilll. Actually, I'm often amazed at how much fruit there is free for the taking that nobody takes. Some streets are lined with loquat trees. Loquats are delicious. There is an apple tree hanging over the fence on the bike path with apples all fallen into the dirt. And a walnut tree, too. Several macadamia nut trees litter the streets in my neighborhood. Too bad you can't crack macadamia nuts. Believe me, we've tried everything and nothing works. It's fun to watch the wild parrots in the pecan tree down the street. Sometimes I take a walk and pick up people's fallen plums and apples. I long ago lived with this hippie guy who made regular rounds on his bicycle for all the free produce in this town.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I long ago lived with this hippie guy who made regular rounds on his bicycle for all the free produce in this town.
    You should check out the Wikipedia or some similar thing on "Freegans". After you get over being grossed out, it is actually very thought provoking, what these people do. Perhaps some of them should visit your neighborhood and clean up - the neighbors probably would like the free sanitation service.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    There's a big old Mission Fig Tree tucked in by an overpass about 1/2 mile away from me.
    I would die of fig OD if I lived nearby. But I'd die happy.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Bwuaahhahahaha. Yes, I'm eviiilll. Actually, I'm often amazed at how much fruit there is free for the taking that nobody takes. Some streets are lined with loquat trees. Loquats are delicious. There is an apple tree hanging over the fence on the bike path with apples all fallen into the dirt. And a walnut tree, too. Several macadamia nut trees litter the streets in my neighborhood. Too bad you can't crack macadamia nuts. Believe me, we've tried everything and nothing works. It's fun to watch the wild parrots in the pecan tree down the street. Sometimes I take a walk and pick up people's fallen plums and apples. I long ago lived with this hippie guy who made regular rounds on his bicycle for all the free produce in this town.
    Freeze the nuts for an hour or two before trying to crack... use a good sized C-clamp(obviously cheaper and more storable, but more muscle work for the hands) or bench vise.

We always used a bench vise for shelling local black walnuts and hickory nuts as a kid... because hammers bust nut meats (and fingers), and black walnuts are tough buggers too... they laugh at hammers! And then send them flying right back towards your face.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

obsessed is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Go Gauchos!

I graduated from UCSB... and it was probably one my favorite places I have ever lived.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12