Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbs/Sugar, or, What are YOUR favorite vegetables? page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Carbs/Sugar, or, What are YOUR favorite vegetables?

Primal Fuel
    I just started going Primal in August, and cutting out grains wasn't a problem. I was already getting enough protein and so far haven't had a problem replacing all of that non-fat dairy protein with better sources. Fat? Not a problem. Right now I am on a dairy elimination experiment to see how well that goes.

Frankly my problem is carbs. Getting enough of them that is. As a mountain biker and cyclist who also does a lot of work at the gym (thankfully my trainer is Primal), VLC just isn't for me. I want my carbs to be between 70-80 grams - I don't have a lot of weight to lose and am more focused on body composition and strength. The problem I am having is getting them above 50 and keeping them there without starchy fruit. As a former type 2 diabetic I don't want to start depending on fructose as more than a minor carb source. I could easily do that and that wouldn't be good for me.

Two things are obvious:

1. Grains were my primary carb source prior to going Primal...
    2. I need to think outside of the box and broaden my veggie horizons.

I need ideas, pure and simple. I LOVE kale - especially roasted Lacinato Kale. Baby spinach and assorted salad greens are great, as well as traditional "salad veggies". Of course there are also sweet potatoes and squash that I need to/will explore. I didn't eat many veggies outside of salad and kale in my CW years

So, what are YOUR favorite vegetables? Please expound on your favorite seasonal veggies, especially fall and winter.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    CARROTS!!!!! I go through about 1.5 bags of baby carrots a week and eat regular sized roasted carrots regularly too.

I also love cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes.. all the little ones you can pop in your mouth whole. I eat lots of broccoli and cauliflower and spinach.

I probably need to broaden my veggies horizons a bit too - you may already eat all this under the "salad veggies" heading. :P I have plans to try yam or sweet potato or something this coming week. =)

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I just started going Primal in August, and cutting out grains wasn't a problem. I was already getting enough protein and so far haven't had a problem replacing all of that non-fat dairy protein with better sources. Fat? Not a problem. Right now I am on a dairy elimination experiment to see how well that goes.

Frankly my problem is carbs. Getting enough of them that is. As a mountain biker and cyclist who also does a lot of work at the gym (thankfully my trainer is Primal), VLC just isn't for me. I want my carbs to be between 70-80 grams - I don't have a lot of weight to lose and am more focused on body composition and strength. The problem I am having is getting them above 50 and keeping them there without starchy fruit. As a former type 2 diabetic I don't want to start depending on fructose as more than a minor carb source. I could easily do that and that wouldn't be good for me.

Two things are obvious:

1. Grains were my primary carb source prior to going Primal...
    2. I need to think outside of the box and broaden my veggie horizons.

I need ideas, pure and simple. I LOVE kale - especially roasted Lacinato Kale. Baby spinach and assorted salad greens are great, as well as traditional "salad veggies". Of course there are also sweet potatoes and squash that I need to/will explore. I didn't eat many veggies outside of salad and kale in my CW years

So, what are YOUR favorite vegetables? Please expound on your favorite seasonal veggies, especially fall and winter.
    carbs are sugar. any dietary carbohydrate is digested as blood glucose

personally i eat 60 grams a day at breakfast, 5 cups of raw milk

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    During the summer, I love squashes. Love love love. I eat zucchini and yellow summer squash especially during those times, and I prepare them in a gazillion different ways.

Right now my CSA is providing me a good amount of eggplant, cabbage, and peppers. I'm not a HUGE fan of those, but I've made baba ganoush a few times with the eggplants and plan on fermenting the cabbage into kraut soon. I cook peppers with sausage, otherwise they end up in soups and stews (rather than salads... I just don't like the crunch I guess!).

Although I was never exposed to winter squashes or gourds as a kid, I found that I love pumpkin as long as it is savory. Same thing with sweet potatoes. I adore a baked sweet potato on occasion, so if you are in need of carbs that aren't fruity, go for a sweet potato! Butternut squash is also fantastic and makes excellent soup! (Blend together cooked squash and cooked carrots, coconut milk, water or broth, and curry powder. Great soup!)

In general my fave veggies are:
    - carrots
    - button mushrooms (raw only!)
    - cucumber
    - Boston lettuce
    - zucchini / summer squash
    - spaghetti squash
    - butternut squash
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Aubergine all day long. Salad & sweet potato is great but I also eat my unfair share of broccoli & cauliflower. zzzz

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Delicata squash is good. It's so pretty and just the right size. I swear once you have some winter squash you'll wonder why you didn't have them sooner. Another good one is beets. I love to get a bunch of beets and eat the greens as greens and boil the roots and keep them on hand cold in the fridge for putting on salads.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Nobody has mentioned parsnips?

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member
    I could go on an on about different ways to prepare different vegetables! I am a believer in not becoming bored! But instead I will list veggies commonly consumed in our household and if there is a question on particular preparation, feel free to ask!

Cabbage, Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts, Summer squash and Zucchini, Spaghetti squash, Acorn squash, Butternut squash, Leeks, Rutabega, Parsnips and Carrots, Bellpeppers, Mushrooms, Cucumbers, and Tomatoes.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    bananas, sweet potatoes, plantains (cook 'em green & yellow, eat 'em raw almost black), potatoes, white rice, all manner of squash, taro corms, yuca... git it.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Nobody has mentioned parsnips?
    I've seen these, what is the best way to cook them? I've been trying to find at least one new veggie a week to try - recently that was fennel. Didn't care for it raw, loved it roasted! Then again, I like to roast pretty much everything...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast