Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Carbs/Sugar, or, What are YOUR favorite vegetables? page 5

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    PrimalPat is a member here and has a primal eating related blog where I found a delicious recipe for parsnips! It is the ONLY way I cook them! You peel and cut the parsnips into frie sized/shaped sticks, coat in fat such as oil or lard, sprinkle with various seasonings, and then roast. It is the combination of spices and seasonings that make these so incredible though.

This link will take you straight to that particular blog post: Welcome to PrimalPat! Roast Beef and BBQ Parsnip Fries…say WAT « primalpat

I hope you'll check it out and maybe love 'em just as much as me!
    That would be me

There *is* an imposter here on the boards with the handle of PrimalPat. That is *not* me. I find this mildly irritating.

However...please enjoy the 'snip fries
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables: Spinach, Broccoli, Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, Onions (LOTS of onions)

For carbs: White rice (no fructose, right?), apples, raspberries/strawberries/blueberries, the occasional banana

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I don't know much about the science behind it, but as someone who only recently "officially" reversed type 2 diabetes, I need to be very careful about fruit because I can eat wayyyyyyyyy too much of it. I know that all carbs do become sugar in the body, but I've less control over fruit.
    According to Fitday, a 10oz sirloin steak contains 536 calories. To get same caloric load, you need to eat 36.35 oz of apples. That's 7.47 medium apples of 2.75" diameter. Now, I'm guessing we've all eaten a 10oz steak at some point in our lives. Most people, especially grown men, would consider that a small serving. Yet how many of us have eaten 7-8 apples in a single sitting? I never have in my life. Given the proper context of calories - the real driver of weight loss - have you ever eaten "wayyyyyyyyy" too much fruit? Do you eat more than 10oz of steak a day, and do you consider a paltry 10oz steak "wayyyyyyyyy" too much meat?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    According to Fitday, a 10oz sirloin steak contains 536 calories. To get same caloric load, you need to eat 36.35 oz of apples. That's 7.47 medium apples of 2.75" diameter. Now, I'm guessing we've all eaten a 10oz steak at some point in our lives. Most people, especially grown men, would consider that a small serving. Yet how many of us have eaten 7-8 apples in a single sitting? I never have in my life. Given the proper context of calories - the real driver of weight loss - have you ever eaten "wayyyyyyyyy" too much fruit? Do you eat more than 10oz of steak a day, and do you consider a paltry 10oz steak "wayyyyyyyyy" too much meat?
    To me a 10oz steak would indeed likely be too much if I wanted to eat anything else with it - I would be totally stuffed I fill up on a relative small amount of food so I look for calorie/nutrient dense choices. I don't have a very large carb allowance and I prefer that most of those be veggies and not wind up craving sugar because of fruit - because it does indeed happen, at least to me. Once I am more accustomed to a well-rounded diet, then I will probably pull back a bit on my fruit restriction. I do still eat fruit, just looking for alternatives as my veggie choices are too limited.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-15-2012 at 04:08 AM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Yes, I have easily eaten 2 lbs of apples in one sitting. The steak would be way more satiating and satisfying than the apples, hands down for me anyway. Once I get a bite of fructose, I'm riding the sugar train until I hit 300 g carbs for the day. This is why I avoid most fruit and eat them only on occasion. I wish you'd stop putting a one-solution-fits-all approach to everyone and be more understanding of people's situations. :\

Thanks Sakura_girl, it is good to know that I am not the only one with this little problem with fructose. I took a list of veggies from this thread to Whole Foods on Friday and spent some quality time in their produce section. Thanks for all of the ideas and reminders. I found a forgotten old favorite...bok choy along with some new choices to experiment with

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Aubergine and sweet potato, could easily make them a meal by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Aubergine and sweet potato, could easily make them a meal by themselves.
    I just have to find a way to cook eggplant and zucchini that I LIKE...I do like sweet potato, and that would be good on a day that I've had a hard workout or long bike ride. I do allow myself more carbs on those days, though still <100 unless it was a 40+ mile bike ride or an especially windy day.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345