Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Carbs/Sugar, or, What are YOUR favorite vegetables? page 4

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    bananas, sweet potatoes, plantains (cook 'em green & yellow, eat 'em raw almost black), potatoes, white rice, all manner of squash, taro corms, yuca... git it.
    Yucca is definitely one of my favs, of course bananas & plantanos. Kabocha squash, & really all manner of squashes. Sweet potatoes I'm not as crazy about as I used to be, even though I rarely eat them much these days, & when I do they are small ones. I did load up my last one last weekend w/ LOADS of organic sour cream, coconut oil & cinnamon. That was marvy, but I think it was the sour cream! As for non-starchy veggies, I guess eggplant, parsnips, onions, brocolli, cabbage & kale: Kinda pedestrian I know...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    As a former type 2 diabetic I don't want to start depending on fructose as more than a minor carb source.
    Can you explain the relationship between type 2 diabetes and fructose that makes you not want to eat alot of fruit?

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, butternut squash, eggplant, red peppers, collard greens
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

amyb is offline Member

less starchy vegs?

I'm curious to know... What are the veggies that are less starchy? Celery?

I love roasted parsnips...the make good french fries!

a few i haven't seen posted:
    Roasted brussel sprouts
    yellow beets are in season right now.
    Lemon cucumbers
    Swiss Chard sauteed

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    My personal favourites are red onion, sweet potato, tenderstem broccoli, baby courgette, leeks, spinach, watercress, rocket (rucola), asparagus, garlic, seaweed, samphire.

Avocado is wonderful too but doesn't agree with me so well.

I favour the above veg for their rich micronutrient content and beneficial fibre, not for carbs. For carbs I go for white rice and sweet potato.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I have just learnt all the things you can do with Cauliflower

That is now my staple.

Last night Mediterranean Veggies with Cauliflower rice, Goats cheese a touch of honey.

Probably one of the nicest things I have ever eaten
    cauliflower cauliflower cauliflower..
    my husband & i did the math & i dont remember exactly, but i've eaten about 320 pounds of cauliflower in the last year & a half ha. weird...
    i eat it everyday & never get bored with it bc theres so many ways to cook it. i'm surprised more people havent mentioned it.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Can you explain the relationship between type 2 diabetes and fructose that makes you not want to eat alot of fruit?
    I don't know much about the science behind it, but as someone who only recently "officially" reversed type 2 diabetes, I need to be very careful about fruit because I can eat wayyyyyyyyy too much of it. I know that all carbs do become sugar in the body, but I've less control over fruit. I've no problem limiting myself to 1-2 squares of very good dark chocolate occasionally - or even 1 serving of high quality full-fat ice cream once a month (I know it isn't primal)- but bananas, berries, fresh figs, and melons are a very different story. Talk about cravings! So while there is a role for berries/cherries, and the occasional banana associated with a bike ride or recovery, I just need to find most of my carbs elsewhere.

Thanks for all of the wonderful vegetable ideas, and I've had fun looking up the ones I've not heard before. I hadn't realized that this forum had such an international member base - as it turns out I did know what the veggies were, just not by that name
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-14-2012 at 06:18 AM.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Yucca is definitely one of my favs, of course bananas & plantanos.
    Aah, I can't believe I didn't mention yuca! Being Puerto Rican, it is an absolute staple in most of our dishes! I love love love it! I have a love-hate relationship with plantains... take 'em or leave 'em, really.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Aah, I can't believe I didn't mention yuca! Being Puerto Rican, it is an absolute staple in most of our dishes! I love love love it! I have a love-hate relationship with plantains... take 'em or leave 'em, really.
    I've only had plantains once, I fried one up the other day in coconut oil. I had the thought of taking some for bike fuel...and it was quite yummy while still warm but pretty awful cold. So I moved onto jerky and dried cherries for long rides on the bike and that worked much better.

Yucca sounds like it could be interesting, but I don't think I will find it in Indianapolis, at least not without paying a high premium for it

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    PrimalPat is a member here and has a primal eating related blog where I found a delicious recipe for parsnips! It is the ONLY way I cook them! You peel and cut the parsnips into frie sized/shaped sticks, coat in fat such as oil or lard, sprinkle with various seasonings, and then roast. It is the combination of spices and seasonings that make these so incredible though.

This link will take you straight to that particular blog post: Welcome to PrimalPat! Roast Beef and BBQ Parsnip Fries…say WAT « primalpat

I hope you'll check it out and maybe love 'em just as much as me!
    That would be me

There *is* an imposter here on the boards with the handle of PrimalPat. That is *not* me. I find this mildly irritating.

However...please enjoy the 'snip fries
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast