Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carbs/Sugar, or, What are YOUR favorite vegetables? page 3

Moll is offline Member
    Shop Now
    SPAGHETTI SQUASH! My FAVORITE thing to do is roast the spaghetti squash, and then in a large pan fry onions, garlic, and then add boiled chopped roma tomatoes (optional - to more easily remove the skins - they freak me out a little) and add some dried or fresh basil towards the end. Season with salt and pepper and then scoop out the squash and add it to the mix. Good lord I want it now.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've seen these, what is the best way to cook them? I've been trying to find at least one new veggie a week to try - recently that was fennel. Didn't care for it raw, loved it roasted! Then again, I like to roast pretty much everything...
    I steam parsnips and mash with a heap of coconut oil or butter added and a dash of nutmeg. Leftovers make good pancakes the next day with the addition of some beaten egg.

Columbia is offline Junior Member
    It won't help your carbs, but celery's one of my staples. Its good plain, or with dips, or nut butters, or tuna salad, or cooked in soups or stirfrys. For more carb dense veggies I love sweet potatoes and avacados.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    SPAGHETTI SQUASH! My FAVORITE thing to do is roast the spaghetti squash, and then in a large pan fry onions, garlic, and then add boiled chopped roma tomatoes (optional - to more easily remove the skins - they freak me out a little) and add some dried or fresh basil towards the end. Season with salt and pepper and then scoop out the squash and add it to the mix. Good lord I want it now.
    Mmm that sounds so good! Think I'll have to try that thanks

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If you're a mountain biker that does a lot of work at the gym, 70-80g of carbs per day is VLC. It may even be ketogenic. I do very little cardio at all, I lift 3 times a week for 45-60 minutes and I average ~200g of carbs a day. I'm also only 5'7" and 150 lbs. If you do what you say you, especially if you're a male that's physically larger than me, more may be in order.
    I am a 52 year old woman, 5'3 in my stocking feet and 130 pounds I am also a beginning mountain biker (just learned last year), and am only able to get out for a couple of hours every few weeks. The weeks I don't mtb I just ride the road for a couple several-hour rides a week. I work with a trainer in a small group environment and the workouts are high intensity/very much like Crossfit, two one hour weekly sessions with an additional hour that is more like fitness games in format.

If I were still riding 100+ miles a week I would certainly up the carbs, but I am not. I backed off a bit on the riding to balance everything out. I love to ride, but I also love the benefits from the training. While I am riding a bit less, I am a lot stronger on the bike when I do.

I've also been exploring which veggies are highest in calcium. I am currently in a dairy elimination experiment and am trying to figure out how best to get my calcium. I did just learn how to make bone broth as a way to address this.

I appreciate all of the great ideas here!

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    mmmmm, this sound yummy! I've never had much in the way of squash, will have to try this!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I steam parsnips and mash with a heap of coconut oil or butter added and a dash of nutmeg. Leftovers make good pancakes the next day with the addition of some beaten egg.
    I am very curious about parsnips now, will have to try this very soon I can see a nice large pile of kale and parsnips

meat egg fruit n veg is offline Junior Member
    I only recently discovered sweet potato! I had never had it before until a few months ago when my friend cooked his girlfriend some and I had a few.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I have just learnt all the things you can do with Cauliflower

That is now my staple.

Last night Mediterranean Veggies with Cauliflower rice, Goats cheese a touch of honey.

Probably one of the nicest things I have ever eaten

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, plaintains, white rice, squashes, etc... and fruit

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I love kabocha squash. So sweet and tasty. I've also recently discovered leeks, and they are awesome cooked in soups.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast