Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbs/Sugar, or, What are YOUR favorite vegetables? page 2

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    broccoli, carrots and courgette are my main staples

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    garlic....ah, this was for carbs, I'm gonna go with carrots cause we have a terrific blend of all types in the garden right now. Purple, orange, white...minis, and regular sizes.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Artichokes, boiled and eaten leaf by leaf with sauce or butter, and then digging out the heart. Yum. Not just food, but an event.

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member
    PrimalPat is a member here and has a primal eating related blog where I found a delicious recipe for parsnips! It is the ONLY way I cook them! You peel and cut the parsnips into frie sized/shaped sticks, coat in fat such as oil or lard, sprinkle with various seasonings, and then roast. It is the combination of spices and seasonings that make these so incredible though.

This link will take you straight to that particular blog post: Welcome to PrimalPat! Roast Beef and BBQ Parsnip Fries…say WAT primalpat

I hope you'll check it out and maybe love 'em just as much as me!

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    This link will take you straight to that particular blog post: Welcome to PrimalPat! Roast Beef and BBQ Parsnip Fries…say WAT primalpat

I hope you'll check it out and maybe love 'em just as much as me!
    This looks incredible - including the meat I will try the parsnip recipe this weekend!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    onions, carrots, kumara, cauliflower and broccoli are our year-round staples. In the summer time courgettes are pretty awesome too.

Are mushrooms a vegetable?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    This looks incredible - including the meat I will try the parsnip recipe this weekend!
    Muahahaha! Very happy to see ya'll are still enjoying my BBQ parsnip fries

The roast is excellent too.
    Last edited by patski; 09-12-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You don't actually have to eat starchy vegetables to get your carb intake up.

There is also the option of going for fruit, or simply, increasing your intake of non-starchy veggies. It may take a good amount to get to the levels you're looking for, but hey, why not give it a whirl? Your body will love the extra dose of healthy veggies you're getting as a result!

Onions and tomatoes are actually among the higher carb veggies (at least, that won't count as particularly starchy), so you might try them out.

Kale packs a few more carbs than the equivalent amount of spinach, there's okra as well, which has more than most traditional "salad" veggies (excepting tomatoes and onions perhaps), and bell peppers get up there proportionately speaking, in the carb count.

You can easily get up to the levels that you want to get up to without starchy vegetables. In fact, I suggest you try it. Because with starchy vegetables, if you aren't careful, you might even go OVER the level you're trying to reach.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    carbs are sugar. any dietary carbohydrate is digested as blood glucose

personally i eat 60 grams a day at breakfast, 5 cups of raw milk
    O_o

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    As a mountain biker and cyclist who also does a lot of work at the gym (thankfully my trainer is Primal), VLC just isn't for me. I want my carbs to be between 70-80 grams - I don't have a lot of weight to lose and am more focused on body composition and strength.
    If you're a mountain biker that does a lot of work at the gym, 70-80g of carbs per day is VLC. It may even be ketogenic. I do very little cardio at all, I lift 3 times a week for 45-60 minutes and I average ~200g of carbs a day. I'm also only 5'7" and 150 lbs. If you do what you say you, especially if you're a male that's physically larger than me, more may be in order.

If you're looking to build muscle and perform better, you'll likely find carbs to be superior to fats while active. IMO, fats are best left on sedentary days or if you're into breakfast and late day training. I make the meals centered around my workout pro-carbohydrate and lower in fat.

My typical carb sources for workouts are sweet potatoes and white potatoes (typically sweet). I eat fruit every day regardless of activity. Watermelons are so good this year. I have been eating 2 entire large watermelons a week. I just ate 1/4 of one right now and today is a total off day from the gym. I'm actually getting up now to get a banana.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast