Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Left everything hanging.....literallly page

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

Left everything hanging.....literallly

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Had to take DS to the hospital 3 hrs. from home. Ds has a chronic lung condition; we had fires North of us which blew smoke into our area and turned his slight cough into an infection. I'd just started several cooking projects: mascarpone hanging in cheese cloth, DH just butchered one of our roosters and it was sitting in brine in the fridge. I was planning on making a delicious anniversary dinner for us, oh well.

So here we are for at least a week. Prior to coming here I was working on becoming fat adapted and that has been a big help. I noticed if I eat fat first I am not so tempted to eat non-primal foods. The good thing is we have a fridge in our room and good markets w/in walking distance. For the most part I think I can keep DS and myself primally provisioned. My biggest challenge will be getting enough sleep.

My concern is that DH will fall off the wagon. I'm the main cook at our house and DH's primal coach. He was doing really well, but this same time last year DS had to go in the hospital, we ended up staying 3 weeks and DH wasn't able to stay primal. It took us months find our way back to the primal path. He has a freezer full of grass fed beef but he's doesn't like to plan what he's going to eat later, he tries not to think about food until it's time to eat.

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    I hope your child recovers quickly so you can get back to normal. Sounds like you have a great plan for yourself and DS. Perhaps your DH won't stray too far before you get back. It won't be months to get back into the swing of things because you won't have left the primal path.

mommymd

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Honestly? I tend to worry about myself and my kids, and leave my husband to make his own choices. He's an adult, after all . Because you're the main cook, when you get back home just cook primally, the way you've been doing. If your DH has fallen off the wagon in the meantime, I'm sure you'll be able to get back on by just cooking right. If he chooses to eat non primal food, it's sort of on his head. I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh (you're obviously going through a stressful time!), but I think at the moment you need to focus on yourself and your son. I figure that once a person's an adult, it's really up to them to make the right lifestyle choices. You can only lead them so far! So yeah, if your husband falls off... he falls of, but it's really up to him to get back on track.

Talked with DH and looks like he's sticking to eating primally. DS and I are settling in here and DS is responding well to the treatments. I was able to do body weight exercises in our room and made several trips to the parking garage; our car is on the top floor and there's no elevator so that was a little more movement.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Ugh - hope DS just continues to get well with no setbacks. And hope that you get sleep. I was at a Ronald McDonald House only once with my Third, and the House had beds and all, but I managed not to sleep much - that'll make YOU sick, as I am sure you know.

Glad that DH looks to be sticking to the Primal, but if he strays, I don't think you should add to your current stress level by worrying about his Primalness (or lack thereof). I have the opinion that as long as my hubby doesn't sabotage me, he can make his own decisions about food - anybody that can run major projects for his work should be able to manage what goes into his own mouth. A return to Primal will happen at home in more regular routines and surroundings.

Big Photonic Hugs and hope you all are home asap!

Thanks Crabbcakes.

I think I'm over worrying about DH, I talked to him tonight and he seems to be doing okay. Tomorrow DS has pulmonary function tests then we will be able to determine how long we'll be here.

Paleobird Guest
    Healing thoughts being sent north to you and the Forager family.

Thanks Paleobird!
    DS lung capacity is improving. We hope to go home on Tuesday providing his lung capacity is some where near his usual range, which thankfully is normally quite high.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    It has been a couple of days... are you all packed for the trip home yet?? Here's a-hoping that you all are actually HOME already!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    It has been a couple of days... are you all packed for the trip home yet?? Here's a-hoping that you all are actually HOME already!
    Nope, we're still here. I think we were overly optimistic in thinking we could get out w/in 1`week. DS lung function isn't up to his normal capacity and the docs say he has to be w/in 10% of his normal capacity and stable before they will send him home. So we are here another week I think.
    We are settling into a routine. In a way it's easier for me because I have a lot I can do here; I have my art work (I was in the middle of getting pieces ready to send to the art center that sells them), I can go for walks in the big city, I can do body weight exercises in the room. DS is going a little stir crazy; the internet connection sucks, it cuts you off randomly and youtube and netflix are blocked. He is an avid gamer and there is no way he can game in here. The last few days he's been really out of breath and coughing a lot so he can't exercise. I've arranged to have our netlix sent here so hopefully that will happen.

I'm doing my best to stay primal, most days I succeed. I bought Devon Double Cream yesterday and had it with berries, yum! It tastes just like the Mascarpone I made and left behind at home.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast