Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Left everything hanging.....literallly page 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Nope, we're still here.
    As Mr. Crabbcakes has been known to say... well, ratfarts!

In a way it's easier for me because I have a lot I can do here; I have my art work (I was in the middle of getting pieces ready to send to the art center that sells them), I can go for walks in the big city, I can do body weight exercises in the room.
    Cool that you are occupied. A happier you is a happier everybody - one of the biggest lessons I learned in starting and running a family... when the Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy

DS is going a little stir crazy; the internet connection sucks, it cuts you off randomly and youtube and netflix are blocked. He is an avid gamer and there is no way he can game in here. The last few days he's been really out of breath and coughing a lot so he can't exercise. I've arranged to have our netlix sent here so hopefully that will happen.
    He's probably been through this, but my girls were completely unaware of life outside of the Percy Jackson book series until recently. They still trawl through Rick Riordan's website often for new news. Does he read for pleasure??

Yeah, we love Netflix in the mail, and recently have gotten the streaming thing (internet connection way out here runs about the speed of one of the faster tractors going down the country roads) and are loving it. We are still (after 10 years) in the throes of a vintage-tv and old movies thing (hunger fed by DVDs from library and Netflix). We watched Wonder Woman, the Six-Million-Dollar Man, Love Boat, Hardy Boys, Happy Days, Hart to Hart, the Adam West as Batman series, the Andy Griffith Show, Remington Steele, the A-Team, Fantasy Island, Charlie's Angels (for just a few examples), all of each Star Trek series, and dear Lord - MacGuyver! Tonight's selection at the Crabbcakes Manor for Teenage Old Fogies and Their Old Fart Parents: Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote. Maybe the old stuff would be sufficiently different to be entertaining for a while?

We have never "gamed" except for our E-rated games on the Wii, so I know I don't understand all that, except that it is popular.

At the rehab hospital that Third has some of her docs at, they have a classroom open to all the in-patient kids, staffed with one teacher who is always there, and able to teach all subjects k-12. Not that DS wants to do Algebra2 today, but if your hospital has one of these, DS might get some hours behind him chatting with the teach. (Unless you need to stay away from other potentially germy humans - I knew a mom whose 2 kids had CF and she was always outside with them as much as possible instead of being inside in a crowded waiting room, breathing in whatever everybody had contracted.)

I'm doing my best to stay primal, most days I succeed. I bought Devon Double Cream yesterday and had it with berries, yum! It tastes just like the Mascarpone I made and left behind at home.
    I had mascarpone on my tomato-herb broth with veggies tonight - yummmmm. Never had Devon cream - shall look it up now!

I'll check back soon and see how all of you are doing

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Crabbcakes, Thanks so much for checking in on us! Today we saw a big improvement in DS which meant we were able to walk around more, we went out to the court yard which no one but us seems to use and it was a rare sunny day here in SF.

Our Netflix arrived today so that was a big treat. DS is really into post apocalyptic shows. He used to read more than he does now. He loved the Percy Jackson series and Rick Riordan too. Do your kids like the Artemis Fowl series? We listened to them through our library, the audios are really good. I found a used bookstore the other day and I got us an engrossing book to listen to while we work on a jigsaw puzzel. We used to that while building Lego.
    The hospital has a staff of "Child Life" that does stuff with kids or gets them things to do. DS is very polite with them but isn't into to chatting with them. Fortunately for the past 2 days he's had friends call and they talked for a long time. With any luck we may actually get some visitors this weekend, being so for from home makes it difficult for visitors.

Within the hospital we have to be especially careful about germs, DS has to wear a mask when he leaves our room and the staff has to wear masks and gloves when entering his room. We don't want him catching anything while we are here.

So that's about it for now. Tomorrow we check his lung capacity again; the doc confirmed that the earliest we could leave would be Tuesday. But I'm not hurrying out of here; I want DS to be as healthy as possible before we leave.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 09-20-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Hey Forager!

Glad to hear the stay is doing its job - DS is getting better ! My First is an asthmatic - not severe, but still has to take meds. Hubby is, too, but his is worse. I thought Third would be my asthmatic - she had pneumonia at 3, coughed constantly and so badly that I often got calls from her school. That is the only time, I think, where I could have used better advice from our pediatrician... he just kept checking for bronchitis and prescribing cough syrup (which didn't work), until I finally had had enough and took Third to the Cleveland Clinic, where she was promptly diagnosed with nasal allergies and put on Rhinocort/Nasonex and Zyrtec and we haven't had problems since (aside from some nosebleeds, but the Clinic has a compounding pharmacy on premises and makes this salve that you dab in the nose to keep stuff nice and protected - works wonders; the pharmacy folks tell me that they make the stuff up in several-gallon batches, it is so popular with the ENT docs and their patients). It was the excessive post-nasal drip causing all her problems.

Nope - kids haven't read Artemis Fowl yet. I will pass on the recommendation. I just asked First and she is currently describing the main character to me as I type...

I LOVE jigsaw puzzles! First loves the ones that go 3-D - she's done Neuschwanstein Castle, the White House, and the Capitol Building. I'm not into the intentionally crazy-makingly hard (regular) ones, just stuff that catches my eye. Right now I am working on one of a French seaside landscape by Gustave Courbet. I swear that the old-turquiose colored sky will make me go blind... (but I love it!!) Kids and I finished one last year of a terrific box of chocolates, but it was hard as the box, the truffel papers, and the chocolates themselves were all in deep, dark chocolate tones.

Lego is fun, too! First is a big "build" fan - she just breezed through a couple of K'Nex sets earlier this summer - the roller coaster, a horse carousel, and assorted small stuff, all in 4 days. She absolutely needs harder stuff to build. Perhaps the new generation of Erector Set. Or perhaps even send her out to the garage for some woodshop. She helps hubby whenever he breaks the lawn tractor again - she loves tools of all kinds.

Since we commute with Third, we have used audiobooks for a lot of in-car listening. Nothing too lesson-y, stuff like new (read: new AND worthwhile according to me) unabridged lit, songs of capitals and states, patriotic songs, Beethoven's Wig (real classical music with kooky, fun words added that actually have to do with the composer/piece). It is hard to do serious lessons on audiobook because we always end up talking our heads off and going off on tangents and stuff - very cool, just not all that great for plowing through The Thirteen American Arguments by Howard Fineman, for example, and actually remembering what it was you heard at the beginning of the disc.

Only a few more days to go!

Hey Crabbcakes, thanks again for writing. It turns out Saturdays are dull in the hospital; no mail delivery and from what I hear TV is pretty useless on the weekend. Good thing we still have our audio book and jigsaw. With any luck we may get visitors tomorrow.

DS lung function has been inconsistent so they've started him on a high dose of prednisone. That's something we were hoping to avoid as it has a lot of side effects. He was on it last year for several months and he gained a lot of weight plus it can decrease the absorption of calcium, not good for a growing 14 yr old boy. To look at DS you'd never know he was sick; he's a strapping 5'9" and weighs 145 and up until last year he was very healthy for a kid with CF. We were under the impression that he had a "milder" mutation of CF, looks like we may have to rethink that idea.

It's a gorgeous day in SF. DS and I sat out on the patio for a long time and absorbed some much need Vitamin D. He had more energy today so we did some body weight exercises and worked with the exercise bands in the room. I got a full work-out in the room in addition to walking a round trip of 10 blocks to do our laundry and later on I walked up the 5 flight of stairs to our room. That had me out of breath; I'm not used to stairs!

Beethoven's wig is very fun; we used to have a cassette of it. We don't usually listen to educational audios when we drive unless they are very engrossing. DS is into ancient history and language and we've gotten some very good lectures from the Great Courses series that keep us stimulated and interested on long drives.

Ds is still into Lego, he designs his own stuff. We've even gone to 2 Lego conferences. They're very fun; we've met some great families that way.

I doubt that we will be going home on Tuesday; they are going to check his lung function on Tuesday and assess where he's at. His lung function has to come up quite a bit to be released. I have tickets to a concert on the 28th, I sure hope we can get home in time to go. If not I suppose I could sell them. It would be the first time in about 5 yrs that I've gone to a concert. Oh well........

Hey Forager!

It's Tuesday.... best wishes to DS for a good test today!

Beethoven's Wig now has volumes 2 thru 4 or so, and all are funny. We are just starting to poke around the Great Courses stuff - looks like fun. If you like big Lego builds, go search for that Mythbusters episode where they try to recreate a viral video of a 6-foot tall all-Lego ball rolling down the street of some big city - that was a fun episode!

Here's my fingers crossed for your concert date - I finally got to a concert this summer (Barry Manilow, and yes, I actually wanted to see him) after way too damn long and had a blast. Hubby and I took First and Second with us to the outdoor venue and had a wonderful time. We saw a billboard today for Blue Man Group. Hubby and I saw them in NYC back when they weren't household names yet and were amazed. My girls have seen dvd concert footage and want to see them live. Well, Blue Man and also David Copperfield.

Third got us all excited today, and not in a good way - she decided to make our morning more memorable by fainting dead away during her usual prep for school. Obviously she didn't get to go to school, but went straight to the pediatrician instead. He declared everything normal after a careful going-over, and that she probably just had the oddball faint (she has fainted often enough before, but each of those times the reason was obvious - she is deathly afraid of bleeding and of needles...). She is cooking an upper respiratory virus, though (low fever, too), so I thought she might have fluid in the ears (she was an eartube kid) which might explain the dizziness and then the faint, but nope - almost totally fluid free. Hrmph. Not that I need her to be sick, I just don't like unanswered questions when it comes to her...

Try looking for the movie "Under the Boardwalk - The Monopoly Story". A really fun docu-flick!

Yeah, the prednisone sucks. I watched the hubby of a friend gain the weight/get all puffy using it for ulcerative colitis, so I have seen what it can do. Blargh - I wish I had it within my power to make all of this go away for you three.

I'll check in soon and see how it all went...

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Another reading suggestion (that you might enjoy too) is the series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel by Michael Scott. There's still at least one more book in the series.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hi Crabbcakes, We've seen that Myth Busters episode it was great! We love Myth Busters, I think we've watched all that are available on Netflix. DS loves anything with explosions.

That's strange about third fainting. Let's hope she gets over that infection soon.

I've never heard of either Blue Man or David Copperfield; I'll see if I can find them on You Tube.

We're keeping our fingers crossed about the lung function test. DS woke up coughing a lot, but that could mean things are moving. This time they will do the test in the afternoon which is typically a better time for him.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Another reading suggestion (that you might enjoy too) is the series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel by Michael Scott. There's still at least one more book in the series.
    We love that series. It's fun that some parts of the books take place in areas that we're familiar with. Yesterday I walked up the hill and saw a great view of Alcatraz which made think of those books. I hope there is another book that we haven't read yet.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Had to take DS to the hospital 3 hrs. from home. Ds has a chronic lung condition; we had fires North of us which blew smoke into our area and turned his slight cough into an infection. I'd just started several cooking projects: mascarpone hanging in cheese cloth, DH just butchered one of our roosters and it was sitting in brine in the fridge. I was planning on making a delicious anniversary dinner for us, oh well.

So here we are for at least a week. Prior to coming here I was working on becoming fat adapted and that has been a big help. I noticed if I eat fat first I am not so tempted to eat non-primal foods. The good thing is we have a fridge in our room and good markets w/in walking distance. For the most part I think I can keep DS and myself primally provisioned. My biggest challenge will be getting enough sleep.

My concern is that DH will fall off the wagon. I'm the main cook at our house and DH's primal coach. He was doing really well, but this same time last year DS had to go in the hospital, we ended up staying 3 weeks and DH wasn't able to stay primal. It took us months find our way back to the primal path. He has a freezer full of grass fed beef but he's doesn't like to plan what he's going to eat later, he tries not to think about food until it's time to eat.
    Honestly? Take care of your son and yourself and let your husband figure it out. Offer him suggestions, ask him to join this forum and check in on him. You can't control it all. A lot has happened in a year and maybe your husband feels so good that he'll make the effort.

It isn't going to work for DH in the long run if you spoon feed him the Primal lifestyle. I'm a mom. I'm also a mom of a special needs child so I get the mom that you bust your butt to be!

Please, please do not take it as your failure if he falls off the Primal wagon. When you get home you can start your projects again and encourage him to join you.

I hope your son gets better soon! How stressful.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Honestly? Take care of your son and yourself and let your husband figure it out. Offer him suggestions, ask him to join this forum and check in on him. You can't control it all. A lot has happened in a year and maybe your husband feels so good that he'll make the effort.

It isn't going to work for DH in the long run if you spoon feed him the Primal lifestyle. I'm a mom. I'm also a mom of a special needs child so I get the mom that you bust your butt to be!

Please, please do not take it as your failure if he falls off the Primal wagon. When you get home you can start your projects again and encourage him to join you.

I hope your son gets better soon! How stressful.
    Thanks Phaselow, DH is staying fairly primal.... It's been 2 weeks since we've been here and that was just one of my initial concerns. It's funny all the changes you go through in a situation like this. I guess it's kind like some one worrying about their job "will it get done if I'm not there?" The answer is yes, it might not be done in exactly the same way but it still get's done.
    DH is also taking our dogs hiking once a day, I'm very pleased about that. I miss our dogs and I'm glad to know they are still doing something we normally do.

We've settled into a routine here and it's not as stressful as you might imagine. DS is not in a critical situation, or in any pain it's just taking time for his lungs to respond to the treatments. The hospital is set up for folks like us so they make it quiet homey.
    I am taking advantage of being in the big city, once a day I go for a walk. Every now and then I bring back exotic treats that we can't find in our little town.

Thanks again to every one for the support.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast