Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: re: cw and the "6 small meals per day" crap page

dogfuel is offline Member

re: cw and the "6 small meals per day" crap

Primal Fuel
    just wondering... Does anyone know of any credible research around the conventional mantra that you should have six or more small meals per day to help your metabolism?

I sounds plausable, but I feel better, work better and find it easier to have 2 meals - lunch then dinner, fasting 8P-2P a few days per week and having a breakfast snack others.

Where does cw like that come from (please, no conspiracy theories about Monsanto wanting to push grain-based snacks)?

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Probably from a bunch of sugar addicts in lab coats saying, "Gee, I feel crappy if I don't eat every 2 hours..."

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    I felt so much better once i ditched that baloney. I always felt like i was force feeding myself all day because i wasn't hungry, then i felt gypped at dinner because my meal had to be so small. I'm totally with you on the two meals per day thing.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfuel View Post
    just wondering... Does anyone know of any credible research around the conventional mantra that you should have six or more small meals per day to help your metabolism?
    I don't think it is what's believed in the mainstream. It seems to be what's believed in some bodybuilding circles -- from which a number of outlandishly strange notions and hopeful commitments occasionally leak out.

I think the mainstream suggests that snacking between meals -- not quite the same thing -- is a good idea. That'll be based around the concept that blood-sugar should be stable and that the best way to ensure that is an occasional but regular poke as opposed to an infrequent kick in the goolies.

But things change if you're not relying on sugar as a fuel.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I think it is recommended because the majority of folks are sugar burners and if they don't snack (with yet more sugar in whatever form) between meals they become hungry, sick, blood sugar crashy, etc. This used to be me, too. So.. if you are a sugar burner, this is not a bullshit theory. They DO need to eat something every 2 hours or they start to feel the effects of diminishing fuel.

Since becoming truly primal, I no longer have this problem. I eat a big healthy breakfast and a big healthy dinner and absolutely nothing else in between. This kind of IF works for me - but only after practice and the changeover from burning sugar to fat.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    @ qqemokitty +1
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Before January, I frequently skipped breakfast and people would ride me about how important the first meal of the day was. Even though I was fat. I don't know how I managed to skip breakfast, but once I started eating in the day there was no way I could go hours without eating. Lunch is followed by a snack, followed by another snack, followed by dinner, followed by another snack. So even though intellectually I didn't buy into the idea of eating so often, in practice I still did it anyway. Sad eh?

Now I still frequently skip breakfast (unless I am genuinely hungry - stomach feels like it is eating itself), but I only end up eating two more times. Feels much better, than to be obsessing over what I am going to be eating every three hours.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    I think it is recommended because the majority of folks are sugar burners and if they don't snack (with yet more sugar in whatever form) between meals they become hungry, sick, blood sugar crashy, etc. This used to be me, too. So.. if you are a sugar burner, this is not a bullshit theory. They DO need to eat something every 2 hours or they start to feel the effects of diminishing fuel.
    JMO, but if someone told me they used a substance and needed a 'fix' every few hours to feel 'normal', I'd advise them to get to rehab. There isn't much point in storing energy (fat) if the system is so dependent on sugar that it has lost the ability to access those reserves and crashes instead. I wonder why anyone, especially medical professionals, would think this is okay. They wouldn't if it was withdrawl from an illegal drug~

Koobs is offline Member
    I used a diet like that before switching to primal. It worked quite well for me along with counting calories. I was able to get really cut without ever feeling like I was starving. Granted, cutting grains has worked better than anything else I have ever done.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    JMO, but if someone told me they used a substance and needed a 'fix' every few hours to feel 'normal', I'd advise them to get to rehab. There isn't much point in storing energy (fat) if the system is so dependent on sugar that it has lost the ability to access those reserves and crashes instead. I wonder why anyone, especially medical professionals, would think this is okay. They wouldn't if it was withdrawl from an illegal drug~
    As an example, I have a niece who is a body builder. She uses Isagenix supplements and thought I should give them a go. I researched the ingredients. The first ingredient is actually a blend of ingredients that has a proprietary name, and the second ingredient is fructose. No, I have never tried them and have no intention of doing so.

Here is what one of her other friends posted on facebook - speaking of drug addictions:

When I stared using Isagenix just over a year ago on thing that I really noticed was how much easier my PMS symptoms were. After researching and learning more about the products I realized that it was soooo much to do with the adaptogenes found in the Ionix which are hormone balancing. Plus just putting the amazing nutrients into my body helped it rest, relax and gave it the ability to deal with what may come . Then, when I started eating 4 Isadelights the week leading up to my regular PMS time I noticed and even bigger difference.

Anyway, I hate to say this but this last month as been bad for me when it comes to self care for many reasons. And for some stupid (really stupid) reason I stopped drinking my Ionix regularly and I even let myself run out of Isadelights (bad move)!!!

And let me tell you....I AM PMSing to the MAX!!! I feel sad, irritated, overwhelmed, anxious, sugar craving, tired and pretty much just crappy. I have not dealt with this in sooo long and it has made me realize just how important eating these products are.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast