Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Barbell training page 2

  1. #11
    arthurb999's Avatar
    arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RI, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Shop Now
    Don't over think it and try some different things until you find the routine that fits your lifestyle and goals.

  2. #12
    Abu Reena's Avatar
    Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    604
    I say that Stronglifts has too much volume too quickly because you add 10 lbs per workout and the extra two sets of 5 reps (vs. SS with 3x5 and adding 5lbs a workout). Yes, you start with an empty bar, but you quickly move beyond that.

    Do what you want.

  3. #13
    EvRevFit's Avatar
    EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    I say that Stronglifts has too much volume too quickly because you add 10 lbs per workout and the extra two sets of 5 reps (vs. SS with 3x5 and adding 5lbs a workout). Yes, you start with an empty bar, but you quickly move beyond that.

    Do what you want.
    It's really semantics. Unless you're extremely frail that minor difference in volume won't kill you. Plus, like I said, Stronglifts says that if you feel like 10lbs a week is too much, start with adding 5lbs. SS isn't a perfect program either.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

    My Journal

    Evolution Revolution Fitness

    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

    -Ayn Rand

  4. #14
    CE402's Avatar
    CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    It's really semantics. Unless you're extremely frail that minor difference in volume won't kill you. Plus, like I said, Stronglifts says that if you feel like 10lbs a week is too much, start with adding 5lbs. SS isn't a perfect program either.
    Even Starting Strength is a grind when you're squatting heavy for just 3 sets of 5 every other day. I can't imagine doing what is essentially Texas Method volume day three days a week with very little strength base to pull off of.

    Seems to me you'd break down and stall earlier doing 5x5 instead of 3x5

  5. #15
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Look people, I'm 18 years old and trying to bulk. No pain no gain, I'm no bitch when it comes to lifting
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  6. #16
    David Garner's Avatar
    David Garner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    I say that Stronglifts has too much volume too quickly because you add 10 lbs per workout and the extra two sets of 5 reps (vs. SS with 3x5 and adding 5lbs a workout). Yes, you start with an empty bar, but you quickly move beyond that.

    Do what you want.
    You only add 5 pounds per workout on Stronglifts too, with the exception of deadlift. But even then, you are adding 10 pounds every other workout, not 10 pounds per workout, because you don't deadlift every workout. That's true of press, bench and row as well, but those are also 5 pounds per lift.

    Stronglifts looks like this:

    Workout A:

    Squat (+5)
    Bench (+5)
    Row (+5)

    Workout B:

    Squat (+5)
    Press (+5)
    Deadlift (+10)

    So the only exercise you increase every workout is squat, because it's the only one you repeat every workout. Press, bench and row all get +5 increase every other workout. Deadlift gets +10 increase every other workout. That's high volume, but I don't think it's all that unsustainable. I'm a full 5 weeks in and I haven't stalled yet. That's about 1/3 the way through the initial program.

  7. #17
    arthurb999's Avatar
    arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RI, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    Look people, I'm 18 years old and trying to bulk. No pain no gain, I'm no bitch when it comes to lifting
    18, trying to get stronger / bulk...
    Starting strength with the gallon of milk a day (can substitute a dozen eggs, or a whole chicken for the milk)

  8. #18
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by David Garner View Post
    *snip*
    So the only exercise you increase every workout is squat, because it's the only one you repeat every workout. Press, bench and row all get +5 increase every other workout. Deadlift gets +10 increase every other workout. That's high volume, but I don't think it's all that unsustainable. I'm a full 5 weeks in and I haven't stalled yet. That's about 1/3 the way through the initial program.
    I'm 32, and can't do three days a week, but had great success doing the program two days a week this summer. I very quickly hit my limits on OHP, started approaching them on deadlift and squats, and haven't gotten close on BP. I just can't get the form down for rows for some reason.

    SS or SL would both be great programs. Stick with one or the other until you aren't making progress anymore. Eat big. Don't be afraid of starting with the bar, if that's what you need to do.

  9. #19
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I'm 32, and can't do three days a week, but had great success doing the program two days a week this summer. I very quickly hit my limits on OHP, started approaching them on deadlift and squats, and haven't gotten close on BP. I just can't get the form down for rows for some reason.

    SS or SL would both be great programs. Stick with one or the other until you aren't making progress anymore. Eat big. Don't be afraid of starting with the bar, if that's what you need to do.
    im def starting with the bar so I can keep making progress and get the proper form. ive done big lifts before but I feel like I really lost a lot doing strictly bodyweight (marks plan). I wanna ease back into it and also the overhead press and row are new for me. As far as eating im starting at roughly 2500cal per day and im wondering if its gonna be enough since ill be swimming and walking a lot as well. Starting tomorrow so im sure ill be toying around with my macros the first month. Im taking in ab 250grams of protein everyday so that's not an issue
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  10. #20
    David Garner's Avatar
    David Garner is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by David Garner View Post
    I'm a full 5 weeks in and I haven't stalled yet. That's about 1/3 the way through the initial program.
    Full disclosure -- stalled on the press at 80 pounds today. Hoping to hit the reps on Friday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •