Thread: My toenail needs to come off page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

My toenail needs to come off

Back in July I got a black toenail hiking in new shoes that had a seam that hit all wrong. The nail turned black but has stubbornly held. I can feel that it is loose. After a shower if I press my toe down I can see the water under the nail moving around. When putting on pants it felt like the nail snagged a little on the hem and just felt loose, but it didn't come off. Should I hasten things along? Tug on it? Try cutting as much off as will come off? Just keep waiting but run the risk of snagging it on something accidentally?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Eh, just let it fall off on its own. If you rip it off, you may bleed and set yourself up for infection.

I've lost plenty of toenails due to running with the wrong socks and/or shoes (and the fact I'm hammer-toed makes me more prone to it). The first time, I was in complete denial that it was going to fall off so I put a bandaid over the nail and just went about my life...

...until one day when I was doing crunches on my living room floor, I sat up and my toe hit the coffee table leg and... POP! Off went the nail! No pain (other than that from the fact I stubbed my toe) and no bleeding. The nail underneath had already begun to regrow, too, so that was a nice surprise as well!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Ugh. I know that feeling (ballet). It's better if it comes off naturally because it won't bleed as much (if at all), and there's less risk of infection. Just tape it loosely for the time being so it doesn't snag.

skinnybacon is offline Member
    I had one do this. I ended up cutting most of it off as the new nail was growing underneath it. Hurt like a mother but it's better now.
    SW 220.5 1/18/2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Blanchy is offline Member
    I once had a nail take 8 months to fall off. No pain when it actually did, though. I would just leave it alone.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I think this shows how bad hiking is for your health......
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Also, do your best to keep it dry so you don't develop a fungal infection while it's still there. Squirt it with alcohol (drying), or blast it with the blow dryer after you shower.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If it is getting water under there I would cut it really short and maybe put some tea tree oil or something under it so it doesn't grow a fungus from the moisture.

I bet it catches in a sock or your pants one day and you accidentally rip it off.