Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really, really frustrated page

heatherdarbs Guest

Really, really frustrated

Shop Now
    I know these posts exist all over the forums, but I have to vent.

I've been primal for 2 months and lost a whole 5lbs and shrunk a little bit and then stopped. I follow this lifestyle exactly and it just simply doesn't seem to be working for me. I tend to shrink a heck of a lot faster when I eat tons of fruit and veggies and some lean meats...with zero concentration on fat. I've added foods I would never have naturally considered in that past - coconut oil, coconut milk, fatty cuts of meat...my carbs only consists of vegetables and when I periodically plug in my consumption, and my carbs hover around 60g for the day, on average. I do lifts, sprints, yoga - not too much, not too little; and nothing is changing. I'm ready to remove fats and live off of chicken and Kim-Chi. I've even had the (somewhat) luxury of having my BMR measured, so there's not much guesswork there; I'm supposed to consume ~1,900 calories to maintain and that only included light yoga and walking as activity consideration. My average intake is closer to ~1,700. Ugh.

I just recently ditched nuts. There's nothing else to ditch. I ditched fruit from the beginning and was never addicted to sugar. It can't possibly be simply nuts that are doing this. I used to eat nuts like they were going out of style and was very slender.

Does anyone have any ideas? This feels like the slowest process in the world! Sorry for the rant.

La Carnera is offline Member
    First of all, I'd say the primal diet is a reward - the prize! - itself. Don't look for the results to support ypour choices; look for and enjoy your health.
    Anyway, 2 months is a short time. Our bodies are diferent, after all.

Second, is there really fat/weight to lose?

Third... if second point has a "yes" answer, it can be related with hormonal misregulation or stress/lack of sleep.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    This may get flack from other people, but if eating real whole foods, but with an emphasis on fruits and veggies, rather than meats & fats, works for you, do it!

What exactly did change in your diet from over 2 months ago to now? What did you end up cutting out/replacing or changing?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    This may get flack from other people, but if eating real whole foods, but with an emphasis on fruits and veggies, rather than meats & fats, works for you, do it!

What exactly did change in your diet from over 2 months ago to now? What did you end up cutting out/replacing or changing?
    I was thinking the same thing about fruits and veggies.

I didn't change much about my diet, other than removing brown rice and lentils and adding fats. I've never been much of a junk food eater, so maybe results are just not in my cards - I haven't had fast food in over 6 years…I lost count. I was hoping what I previously considered genetic “bad spots” would diminish with this approach, but so far, not really. For some reason, my body processes fruit really well - I recall someone asking how I don't gain weight from all the fruit I eat (about 7 years ago) and I looked at them like they were insane. I knew nothing about the fructose and insulin response, etc. The more I read about fruit, the more I avoid it, yet I know from experience that I didn’t react adversely. It's that paralysis by analysis issue, I suppose!

Also, it seems the more I exercise, the more pissed off and puffy my body gets…? It’s almost like yoga and walking is the happy spot. Maybe I’m being impatient. What are your experiences?

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by La Carnera View Post
    First of all, I'd say the primal diet is a reward - the prize! - itself. Don't look for the results to support ypour choices; look for and enjoy your health.
    Anyway, 2 months is a short time. Our bodies are diferent, after all.

Second, is there really fat/weight to lose?

Third... if second point has a "yes" answer, it can be related with hormonal misregulation or stress/lack of sleep.
    Yes; you're right - I need to focus on how I feel.

I ran myself down to a very low weight in the past (literally got addicted to running), so having gone through weight restoration under the direction of my doctor, he and his cute pudgy belly had me eat crap I wouldn't normally have eaten (lots of processed foods), so there was rapid fat and weight gain, which is what I'm attempting to calm down. I'm 5'6" and weigh around 128...? Though, the fat is certainly there. While eating lots of fruits and veggies and not much fat, I land around 115 (more like my photo, I believe). Confusing.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I do better with more fruits and vegetables too. If you have more success with that, you can still do primal and add more of those foods back in.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    I know these posts exist all over the forums, but I have to vent.

I've been primal for 2 months and lost a whole 5lbs and shrunk a little bit and then stopped. I follow this lifestyle exactly and it just simply doesn't seem to be working for me. I tend to shrink a heck of a lot faster when I eat tons of fruit and veggies and some lean meats...with zero concentration on fat. I've added foods I would never have naturally considered in that past - coconut oil, coconut milk, fatty cuts of meat...my carbs only consists of vegetables and when I periodically plug in my consumption, and my carbs hover around 60g for the day, on average. I do lifts, sprints, yoga - not too much, not too little; and nothing is changing. I'm ready to remove fats and live off of chicken and Kim-Chi. I've even had the (somewhat) luxury of having my BMR measured, so there's not much guesswork there; I'm supposed to consume ~1,900 calories to maintain and that only included light yoga and walking as activity consideration. My average intake is closer to ~1,700. Ugh.

I just recently ditched nuts. There's nothing else to ditch. I ditched fruit from the beginning and was never addicted to sugar. It can't possibly be simply nuts that are doing this. I used to eat nuts like they were going out of style and was very slender.

Does anyone have any ideas? This feels like the slowest process in the world! Sorry for the rant.
    your not counting your calories right because if you were eating that many you would be losing

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    This might not apply to you, but remember that being healthy isn't always about having a 6 pack... A couple years ago I was living on apples and protein bars and spending an hour on the elliptical every day. I was the smallest and leanest I've ever been, but I was very unhealthy physically and mentally, as my only thoughts were about looking good for others. I wasn't exercising because I wanted to, but because I wanted people to look at me and think I looked good. AS fate would have it, I ended up with severe knee problems and had to spend the next year or so rehabbing them...I was forced to start doing things for ME and not to please others...I found it all very metaphorical. But anyway, all that was to say that sometimes I think our bodies are happiest with a little fat on them. Grok wouldn't want his body to be free of fat...what if there was a long spell without food? I think the most important thing you can do is keep sugar intake low. Fruit as a treat only, no added sugars except the occasional dark chocolate bar... You could afford to loosen your rules a little. Eat some brown rice, it's fine. Stop focusing on trying to lose weight and focus on feeling good instead.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    The whiny girl in me wants to hate you for being the same height as me but being 12 pounds lighter... :P

Anyway!

I agree with the other comments: focus on how the food is making you feel. I personally have no food allergies or sensitivities. I could eat wheat, corn and bowls of fruit every day and not have any kind of [obvious] reaction. (I'm sure something would be going wrong on the cellular level, but aside from the addictive traits of some of these items, I wouldn't really bat an eye over it.) Not everyone is like this.

Ask yourself why you "ditched" things like nuts, fruit, etc. Reflect on how you felt before and how you feel now (rather than how you look/weigh).

I recently did this because I cut out lots of food since starting a primal lifestyle but saw no weight-loss, GI improvement (not that there was anything wrong in the first place), or body composition change. Now I'm just doing what makes me feel good, feel stronger, and satisfies my hunger/nutritional needs. For me, that's no wheat (except for once in a while when I have a cone with my ice cream, a bite of challah at synagogue, or tempura flakes are on top of my sushi), no packaged foods (unless there are very few ingredients, I can read/understand each ingredient and it is labeled not GM Organic), and only eating when I'm hungry.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    your not counting your calories right because if you were eating that many you would be losing
    I would agree, except I have too much experince with calories - I know what's in just about everything without needing an online resource. I really wish that were the case!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast