Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Really, really frustrated page 2

  1. #11
    heatherdarbs's Avatar
    heatherdarbs Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    This might not apply to you, but remember that being healthy isn't always about having a 6 pack... A couple years ago I was living on apples and protein bars and spending an hour on the elliptical every day. I was the smallest and leanest I've ever been, but I was very unhealthy physically and mentally, as my only thoughts were about looking good for others. I wasn't exercising because I wanted to, but because I wanted people to look at me and think I looked good. AS fate would have it, I ended up with severe knee problems and had to spend the next year or so rehabbing them...I was forced to start doing things for ME and not to please others...I found it all very metaphorical. But anyway, all that was to say that sometimes I think our bodies are happiest with a little fat on them. Grok wouldn't want his body to be free of fat...what if there was a long spell without food? I think the most important thing you can do is keep sugar intake low. Fruit as a treat only, no added sugars except the occasional dark chocolate bar... You could afford to loosen your rules a little. Eat some brown rice, it's fine. Stop focusing on trying to lose weight and focus on feeling good instead.
    I was just like you, once upon a time and thank you for this post. I'm trying to skip a workout today and I'm almost getting a workout with me and myself duking it out in my head with the decision!

  2. #12
    heatherdarbs's Avatar
    heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    The whiny girl in me wants to hate you for being the same height as me but being 12 pounds lighter... :P

    Anyway!

    I agree with the other comments: focus on how the food is making you feel. I personally have no food allergies or sensitivities. I could eat wheat, corn and bowls of fruit every day and not have any kind of [obvious] reaction. (I'm sure something would be going wrong on the cellular level, but aside from the addictive traits of some of these items, I wouldn't really bat an eye over it.) Not everyone is like this.

    Ask yourself why you "ditched" things like nuts, fruit, etc. Reflect on how you felt before and how you feel now (rather than how you look/weigh).

    I recently did this because I cut out lots of food since starting a primal lifestyle but saw no weight-loss, GI improvement (not that there was anything wrong in the first place), or body composition change. Now I'm just doing what makes me feel good, feel stronger, and satisfies my hunger/nutritional needs. For me, that's no wheat (except for once in a while when I have a cone with my ice cream, a bite of challah at synagogue, or tempura flakes are on top of my sushi), no packaged foods (unless there are very few ingredients, I can read/understand each ingredient and it is labeled not GM Organic), and only eating when I'm hungry.
    I'm familiar with your posts and I think we're related  - some of your comments outline what I've put myself through, so I appreciate that you've chimed in. The weight would have thrown me on the treadmill for two hours in the past, so I suppose that this process has at least allowed me to crinkle my nose in response to the weight, as opposed to tripping out on it. I do feel much better, especially mentally. And I love those stupid nuts...although once I get started, I can't stop, so that's mainly why I’m testing it out.

    Damn scale.

  3. #13
    2ndChance's Avatar
    2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    315
    Throw out your scale, really. Honestly. Do it. It'll force you to focus on how you feel.

    I just binged on pistachios so I see where you're coming from... but you don't have to give up foods entirely. Following the rule "limit grain intake" is much less stressful for me than "eat no grains"

  4. #14
    MissJecka's Avatar
    MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    I'm familiar with your posts and I think we're related  - some of your comments outline what I've put myself through, so I appreciate that you've chimed in. The weight would have thrown me on the treadmill for two hours in the past, so I suppose that this process has at least allowed me to crinkle my nose in response to the weight, as opposed to tripping out on it. I do feel much better, especially mentally. And I love those stupid nuts...although once I get started, I can't stop, so that's mainly why Iím testing it out.

    Damn scale.
    Yeah, I hear you about the nuts. I posted a while ago about how I can easily eat 1/2 cup of almond butter in a sitting and still want more. It's a problem. I just finished the last jar of the stuff in my pantry and will not buy more. Out of sight, out of mind. However, at work we have little bags of pistachios in our vending machine, so if I really need a snack or my lunch is missing that something-something, I'll buy one.

    I also agree with the previous comment about tossing out your scale. (See my signature!)
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

    >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

    Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

  5. #15
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,098
    You are pretty light already. The Primal Blueprint diet makes people with blood sugar problems and serious overweight lose weight pretty easily. For skinny people like you, you are only going to get improved health, improved strength and stronger bones, not skinnier.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  6. #16
    qqemokitty's Avatar
    qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    LBC, California
    Posts
    381
    You are quite slender already, as you probably know.

    If eating more fruits and veggies and less fats makes you feel good, do that. The main purpose of primal, paleo, whole30, etc... is to eat WHOLE foods. To eat from good, compassionate, sustainable, clean sources for optimal health and body balance. So keep doing that, with whatever combination of things you choose.

    I noticed you said you run and do yoga.. do you do any strength training? This is something often overlooked by many women. Maybe you should add some strength training in whatever form sounds appealing to you. This can help you become leaner without additional weight loss.

  7. #17
    heatherdarbs's Avatar
    heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    You are quite slender already, as you probably know.

    If eating more fruits and veggies and less fats makes you feel good, do that. The main purpose of primal, paleo, whole30, etc... is to eat WHOLE foods. To eat from good, compassionate, sustainable, clean sources for optimal health and body balance. So keep doing that, with whatever combination of things you choose.

    I noticed you said you run and do yoga... do you do any strength training? This is something often overlooked by many women. Maybe you should add some strength training in whatever form sounds appealing to you. This can help you become leaner without additional weight loss.
    Yes, I'll continue with whole foods and toss my scale (like others have suggested).

    I used to run, but since it seems to be a "look how quickly I can shrink my body and have no fat" game to me, I stopped - it got me to a very unhealthy place. I look back at photos now and realize I had no clue I looked like complete scrawny gross crap at the time. So, now I sprint, strength train and walk - pretty much exactly what the books suggests (I was that annoying student who did everything "right"). I IF, too.

    My guess is this is where my body likes it. I can't really do anything else differently, without choosing being slender with deprivation over happiness and enjoyment. I love these forums, though; so many people are uplifting. I actually feel less concerned, now. Thank you

  8. #18
    heatherdarbs's Avatar
    heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You are pretty light already. The Primal Blueprint diet makes people with blood sugar problems and serious overweight lose weight pretty easily. For skinny people like you, you are only going to get improved health, improved strength and stronger bones, not skinnier.
    Agreed. I should print this and put it on my mirror.

  9. #19
    heatherdarbs's Avatar
    heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Yeah, I hear you about the nuts. I posted a while ago about how I can easily eat 1/2 cup of almond butter in a sitting and still want more. It's a problem. I just finished the last jar of the stuff in my pantry and will not buy more. Out of sight, out of mind. However, at work we have little bags of pistachios in our vending machine, so if I really need a snack or my lunch is missing that something-something, I'll buy one.

    I also agree with the previous comment about tossing out your scale. (See my signature!)
    Ha! I just did the same thing w/ my almond butter. Ok, the scale is moving to the garage - I'll have my husband either toss it or hide it; he'll probably toss it.

  10. #20
    heatherdarbs's Avatar
    heatherdarbs Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Yeah, I hear you about the nuts. I posted a while ago about how I can easily eat 1/2 cup of almond butter in a sitting and still want more. It's a problem. I just finished the last jar of the stuff in my pantry and will not buy more. Out of sight, out of mind. However, at work we have little bags of pistachios in our vending machine, so if I really need a snack or my lunch is missing that something-something, I'll buy one.

    I also agree with the previous comment about tossing out your scale. (See my signature!)
    Have you seen that pistachio butter? It seems to be a little lower in calories/serving, at least

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •