I have a relatively picky 4-year-old who recently started pre-K at the local elementary school. The cafeteria breakfasts are mostly grains w/a side of sugar (cereal, waffles, french toast, etc.) and lunches aren't much better, so I pack two meals for her. While she'll eat eggs and bacon at home, the egg frittatas I made in muffin tins came home every day with just one bite taken out of them. Today I sent a banana, applesauce, and some gluten-free french toast sticks, I can guarantee that she'll eat every bite of it. She's a skinny and active kid, so I don't sweat stuff like that occasionally, but I'd like for her to have some source of protein in the mornings. She is not a fan of hard-boiled eggs (they smell bad to her) and the local pastured pork sausage I buy in bulk is "too spicy" for her. She does like bacon, maybe I can cook up a big batch in the oven and then just reheat before sending it off with her.

It's a bit frustrating--I'd rather her eat breakfast at home, but I have to send something or they are required to feed her cafeteria food anyway. Her teachers have commented on how healthy her packed meals are, and that my daughter told them that their cereal was unhealthy. :x Her teacher also said that she wished her mom had fed her healthy food growing up, because she never developed a taste for it and doesn't eat it now. I was in a small Japanese restaurant recently and every single family aside from us requested NO VEGETABLES. REALLY??? I honestly did not realize how many people--grown people, not just kids--don't eat vegetables.

Sorry, I veered off into a rant there. Does anyone have any other ideas for breakfast protein? I have been searching all morning and I probably just need to think outside the box, but not so far out that she won't eat it. Maybe savory sweet egg muffins? I have to drive to the city to get them, but I could stock up on Applegate's maple or apple breakfast sausages...