Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the tiniest bit of corn oil make me shrivel where I stand? page

golangrok is offline Senior Member

Will the tiniest bit of corn oil make me shrivel where I stand?

Shop Now
    Costco has these roasted seaweed snack pack things - they're small sheets of nori toasted and salted. I sweat they're better than any potato chip. Over the summer I loves snacking on these, and now going into school I would love to be able to use them as an easy healthy snack to bring along, but after rereading the ingredients I see that they use "non-GMO corn oil", as well as a mysterious "Perilla oil", google search pending.
    (EDIT: In parts of Asia, perilla oil is used as an edible oil that is valued more for its medicinal benefit than its flavor. Perilla oil is a very rich source of the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). About 50 to 60% of the oil consists of ALA.)
    So it's a seed oil, but with good omega-3's?

Is that really that hellishly bad? I think I could overlook it, especially when I'm eating fairly strictly the rest of the time. No dairy, no sacred weekly non-Primal days or carb refeeds, all that jazz.
    Last edited by golangrok; 09-12-2012 at 01:42 AM.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I personally would avoid anything with corn oil, but why not give it a try and see if it works for you? That's the best way to find out.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on how reactive you are to it and what the rest of your diet looks like. If you're not particularly sensitive to it and eat fairly clean most of the time, I can't see the amount you'd get in a few seaweed snacks becoming an issue.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Definitely depends on you and your body. I don't have any food sensitivities at all - corn, gluten, dairy... nothing. I abstain from these, but if I consume any of them I'm not uncomfortable or anything.

I bought some beet chips because they were recommended to me by a friend. I bought a bag and saw they're fried in "corn and/or safflower oil" but I ate them anyway and felt 100% fine. Those with food sensitivity to corn products wouldn't fare so well.

I don't make these a regular thing for me, but I have no reason to fear them, per se.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm lucky to be a canary. Corn oil gives me boils, which probably also means it's inflaming my arteries. So I avoid it. But I feel terrible for the people who don't get boils, because they have no clue what their insides might look like. And then there might be a few for whom rancid, GMO, oxidized oil is miraculously not a problem. Sort of like bits of steel that won't rust or ice that won't melt. Or those frogs in Australia you can run over with a car and they don't die.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Tiny amounts of bad oils are not a problem. For example, I live this stuff called chiles in adobo sauce. It has soybean oil. So does the Indian tika masala spice paste I like. But it's not a lot of soybean oil. I don't know about your chips, but if they are fried in corn oil and/or you are eating them often, it's probably too much corn oil. The Japanese actually just eat nori sheets as is. You can find plain nori in larger grocery stores and in Asian markets. The bonus is you can make sushi handrolls with them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    They're not necessarily fried - just roasted. They seem pretty wholesome. I'm getting the IGG done soon so that'll illuminate me on whether or not corn will be an issue.
    They also have Perilla oil with apparently is a source of omega-3! It's good because I've been looking for more sources of that.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm lucky to be a canary. Corn oil gives me boils, which probably also means it's inflaming my arteries. So I avoid it. But I feel terrible for the people who don't get boils, because they have no clue what their insides might look like. And then there might be a few for whom rancid, GMO, oxidized oil is miraculously not a problem. Sort of like bits of steel that won't rust or ice that won't melt. Or those frogs in Australia you can run over with a car and they don't die.
    I ahve to agree with this, I personally make ALL of my own food. I don't want to have to take these risks. Corn is absolutely terrible for you and I don't think there really is corn that isn't GMO anymore

otzi Guest
    This is how I reconcile Mark's 80/20 rule in my mind. I try to eat 100% primal, but figure some bad stuff gets snuck in, or like the cottonseed oil in my favorite smoked oysters--unavoidable. That's way different than making 20% of my calories from cottonseed oil day in and day out.

Little bits of bad oils here and there shouldn't derail most of us, but knowing where they are makes choosing good foods easier.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    There is a brand of the same thing called SeaSnax and they only have olive oil. Very tasty. You can get them on line at Netrition.com. They come in regular, chipotle, onion, and wasabi flavors, all of which are delicious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast