Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncontrolled weight gain after an off day page

golangrok is offline Senior Member

Uncontrolled weight gain after an off day

About a week ago, I had lost 5 lbs (after being Primal for three weeks). I had an "off" day, where I had a cup of juice, some chicken nuggets, and HFCS ketchup, but nothing like chocolate cake or fettucine alfredo. I didn't weigh myself the few days after, but I when I did, I had gone from 164 to 169. I've been waiting for the "water weight" to come off for the past few days, restricting carbs strictly, only having 1 piece of small fruit a day and no other sources besides veggies. Yesterday I gave in and ate a kiwi, plum, and a banana. I was just craving the carbs.
    And also going to the gym. Today, I'm 171. I'm totally disheartened and annoyed.
    Perhaps it's muscle because I did start weight lifting at the gym, but honestly? It feels gross, like I'm gaining weight. I've gained inches all around. My waist is 1.5 bigger and my hips are 2.

I have zero appetite, feel depressed, don't feel like eating anything but I can't IF because of a binge eating disorder complication.
    This just sucks all around.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I've had a similar thing happen. I'd say to just make sure you're eating really cleanly, maybe don't overdo it on the fruit, and the you'll just have to wait it out. The weight will come back off eventually.

I also find that if I have any off days, it sort of sets the stage for all kinds of nasty cravings. So not only do I have an off day, but then I end up eating more fruit, etc, than I normally would for the next several days after.

Being patient and kind to yourself is always key. Don't beat yourself up over this. Just stand tall and know that the situation will resolve. :-)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You need to maintain an overall caloric deficit even on low carb. What happens is that your initial loss was a reaction to going low carb, body releasing water. About 4-5 lbs is normal. Then, if you do not maintain deficit, the weight comes back once the body gets a hand of no carb coming in. To start losing weight, you need to drop the calories. So, you would want to start with counting the calories. Do not eat fruit at all, that's the best until you start seeing your appetite matching your caloric need to see the losses. Unless you are a Wonder Hybrid Super-Woman, you can't gain 5 lbs a muscle in a week. 2 lbs a month is LUCKY. Deficit that corresponds to the fat loss will leave you hungry at least a few times a day. If you are not hungry, do not eat, but eat as soon as you are hungry to avoid delayed binge. IF is most likely not going help you (it does nothing for most women), so do not stress it.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    LEIDA - I am definitely in a calorie deficit, I hardly can eat 1600 cals some days (BMR is around 2000).

I don't actually get hungry any more. My stomach doesn't growl/nag me. It's just like I can sense that it's empty and that now is a good time for food. And I'm afraid that if I don't heed that I'll lose control and binge. So I'm somewhat force feeding right now.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Some foods are more than just their calories... if you ate chicken nuggets at say, McDonalds, you probably got a whole lot more than you bargained for, including a hearty dose of trans fats. I read somewhere that trans fats alter your cells, they confuse the "guards" that control what goes in and out of the cell, and the guards start letting in bad stuff and letting out good stuff... It could take a while for that to go back to normal, I'd imagine.

Food for thought: What's in Fast Food Chicken? (Hint: It

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Greetings from the Valley. A couple of things come to mind. First, don't weigh yourself too often. Weight naturally fluctuates quite a bit. You may be a bit dehydrated one day for example. It's been hot, each breath exhaled takes water out of our bodies. I only weigh myself every week to 10 days. This way I can see the trend but not stress over daily fluctuations. Secondly, in order to become a fat burning beast you need to burn fat. Resist the urge to consume carbs. Even one piece of fruit a day slows or stops my weight loss. Remember, Primal is a way of life, not a diet. With all respect, live it or don't but don't lie to yourself. I don't allow myself off days or even off meals. My ~20% or whatever is not stressing over being sometimes unable to find perfectly primal foods. For example, the other day I needed some broth. I had none and had no time to make some. All I could find had evaporated cane juice as a minor ingredient. BFD I bought it. Also try to establish a schedule for your meals, that will train your body to expect food around those times. I eat two meals a day around noon and 6pm and nothing in between. it took a while but it's easy now. At first if I really wanted a snack I had something not too appetizing like an ounce of coconut oil in a shot glass Hit that down and there goes the urge to eat. Keeps things moving too if you know what I mean.

Remember we didn't in the shape we are overnight and we won't fix this overnight either. You can do it, good luck.

otzi Guest
    I'm guessing you are female, so it may be different for you than me. I have been doing PB for exactly 2 years this month. I went from 250 to 165 and have settled at 168 for last 6 months. I noticed a trend over that time that if I went 'off-plan' I'd gain 7-8lbs and keep it there for weeks. Eventually, it came off and fat-loss continued.

Eating a bunch of fruit or rice never caused this, just pure junk food--fried eggrolls, M&Ms, brownies...and it in no way was related to calories and fat, but more it seemed to whole body inflammation and a slowdown in the guts. I'd notice after about a week, the weight would start to normalize, then a couple mornings in a row I'd have huge BMs (sorry TMI). I think it's entirely possible to be carrying around an extra 5 lbs of weight in the form of '#2' that doesn't want to move like it should.

Probably not helpful to you, but maybe somebody...

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    About a week ago, I had lost 5 lbs (after being Primal for three weeks). I had an "off" day, where I had a cup of juice, some chicken nuggets, and HFCS ketchup, but nothing like chocolate cake or fettucine alfredo. I didn't weigh myself the few days after, but I when I did, I had gone from 164 to 169. I've been waiting for the "water weight" to come off for the past few days, restricting carbs strictly, only having 1 piece of small fruit a day and no other sources besides veggies. Yesterday I gave in and ate a kiwi, plum, and a banana. I was just craving the carbs.
    And also going to the gym. Today, I'm 171. I'm totally disheartened and annoyed.
    Perhaps it's muscle because I did start weight lifting at the gym, but honestly? It feels gross, like I'm gaining weight. I've gained inches all around. My waist is 1.5 bigger and my hips are 2.

I have zero appetite, feel depressed, don't feel like eating anything but I can't IF because of a binge eating disorder complication.
    This just sucks all around.
    do you have any idea what glucose, chemicals, and more glucose will do to your body?

the form it takes matters not... the fact is you are sugar and chemicals and wonder why your body is acting funny
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Eating a bunch of fruit or rice never caused this, just pure junk food--fried eggrolls, M&Ms, brownies...and it in no way was related to calories and fat, but more it seemed to whole body inflammation and a slowdown in the guts. I'd notice after about a week, the weight would start to normalize, then a couple mornings in a row I'd have huge BMs (sorry TMI). I think it's entirely possible to be carrying around an extra 5 lbs of weight in the form of '#2' that doesn't want to move like it should.

Probably not helpful to you, but maybe somebody...
    TMI, but I've experienced similar, after a couple high-sugar snacky cheat days. Except that I believe the 5 pounds is *ahem* both BM's and water weight. My body seems to like to retain water until the BM's, and then release the water.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time. For example comparing your weight every morning before breakfast to keep it consistant. Don't sweat the small stuff. Keep eating primal, keep total calories intake low and you'll be loosing weight. Also, low carb does not work for everyone. Many people have success on moderate carb, protein and healthy fats (avocados, fish, olive oil). Just keep calories down regardless of what plan you are on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast