Thread: Pickled eggs ... and the pickling juice page

waterjen is offline Member

Pickled eggs ... and the pickling juice

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have finally discovered pickled hard-boiled eggs and love them as a super-lazy brekkie or easy snack. I've just made it through my first batch of them, and am about ready to open up my second batch. Was about to toss the pickle juice (it's plain, no beet juice to color it, and no sugar in it) then thought, "Hey, maybe I could marinate some chicken in that, like I do with leftover pickle juice from veggies." Then I thought, "Or maybe I could reuse it and put a whole new batch of hard-boiled eggs in there and top off the juice with a touch of extra vinegar and spice.
    My main questions are:
    1. What do you do with leftover pickle juice from hard-boiled eggs?
    2. What is your fave pickled egg recipe?

Thanks in advance!

waterjen is offline Member
    Patrice, this is very similar to the first recipe I made. It had sugar and required heating (but no onions). The second batch I made had no sugar and no heating. Both "incubated" about the same amount of time (about 2 weeks before I had the first taste) but I have to say I preferred the first batch.
    As I mentioned earlier, I use pickle juice left over from dilled green beans to marinate chicken. The flavor is superb. But I wouldn't mind using leftover egg pickle juice for a second batch. I just don't know if it's safe, food-wise, to do so. Or if the flavor diminishes over the batches...