Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your definition of "strong"? page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

What is your definition of "strong"?

Shop Now
    Just curious. I'd like to think I'm strong, but I definitely don't feel like it sometimes. What measures do most of you go off of?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    this is a tough question...mostly because it can largely be based on comparison. i used to think entirely in numbers, but gave no real thought to relative strength (benching over 200 meant you were strong, regardless of your weight). now my definition has really broadened and i look to fitness standard tests to tell me what i need to know. this is the post mark did on fitness tests:
    Physical Fitness Standards | Mark's Daily Apple
    granted, these are all-around fitness, but i think you have to be pretty strong to complete them. i'm sure there are plenty of hugely muscled, strong as an ox people who couldn't do well in these because of the calisthenic and cardio nature of them...but, my thing is, what's the point in being that strong if you can't effectively move your own body?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ Those tests are good. I also would consider performing the PB "standards" for 2 rounds and hitting all the goal reps to be "strong" I think thats like 2x50 pushups 2x12 pull ups 2x50 squats 2x12 handstand pushups and like 3 minutes of planks or something without rest.

I also think the definitions of for percentage of bodyweight to perform are an OK approximation 1.5xBW Bench for example or 2x BW Squat. In the end if you have the strength to perform all of your daily activities and play without pain your probably on the right track.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Being able to bodily move myself or Geek out of harm's way by whatever means necessary. I still can't bodily haul myself back up over a cliff ledge (ala pull ups, chin ups), so I'm still working on that and getting an approximately Geek sized weight to a fireman's carry.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    To me 'strong' is a goal that is always just beyond reach and that I work toward. There is always someone who can lift more, sprint faster, whatever. So I work today to improve but I don't think there's any single point where I'll be strong enough. There's always room for improvement.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    For me as a woman, it is more about being able to handle what live gives me and less about the numbers.

Strength is being able to flip a king sized mattress and move all the furniture (even the sofa with two recliners in it) all by myself.
    Strength is being able to stand for 15 hours strait with arms up at shoulder level. (for work)
    It is being able to carry my autistic daughter to a safe location when she is in full meltdown even though she outweighs me by 20lbs.
    It is being able to do a one armed pull up in the pear tree just so I can reach those last 5 pears.

I'm sure every person measures strength differently and it is constantly evolving for everyone.

nojoke is offline Member
    Strong for me is...

405 back squat
    300 front squat
    295 bench
    485 deadlift....

Weighted dead hang pull-ups @ body + 50lbs off a weight belt, same for dips for 5-7 reps.

@ 5'10 195lbs bodyweight, 34 years old.

Strength is subject to your own interpretation.....I base mine on my own sucesses and where I have come from and where im going.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Being able to bodily move myself or Geek out of harm's way by whatever means necessary. I still can't bodily haul myself back up over a cliff ledge (ala pull ups, chin ups), so I'm still working on that and getting an approximately Geek sized weight to a fireman's carry.
    QFMFT

lift your own body in any position at any time repeatedly.

it is good for inventive sex

it is great for survival

when i can perform a one arm pullup then i will think myself strong.
    when i can pistol squat then i will think myself strong

till then it doesnt matter to me that i can bench 385 or squat 700 the lion is still going to eat me and i will still fall to my death off the cliff.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Art of manliness has an interesting article about what you should be able to do, at a minimum, to save your own life in times of physical distress:

5 Fitness Benchmarks Every Man Must Master | The Art of Manliness

For me personally, strong is:

having respectable big lifts: bodyweight bench max, at least. 2x bodyweight deadlift max, at least. 1.54 bodyweight squat max, at least. And, being able to do pull ups into the teens to failure.

Also, it is:

not getting winded walking up stairs, being able to exert myself at max effort in intense cardiovascular situations for up to 30 minutes

And: Being coordinated enough to pick up new movements and skills with good efficiency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast