Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about Gut Sense/Fiber Menace Info? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Anyone know anything about Gut Sense/Fiber Menace Info?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I saw someone mention it in a recent thread but I am curious to know more about this info. Since I have had a series of digestive issues (and have been following primal now for 3 weeks very seriously) I am always looking for ways to improve. He believes fiber is what causes constipation and a host of other digestive problems, my question is does that mean vegetables too? He recommends white bread over whole grain (I know we don't eat bread here) but does that info even make sense? Anyone try this out- very low fiber, atkins style diet- to improve their gut?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I have tried following his protocol, but I believe I has bacterial dysbiosis (my gut bacteria is out of whack/reduced) so I'm not having great results. Yes, veggies count too. I think BestBetter (did I get that right?) has more experience following a low-fiber diet longer term to help with IBS symptoms.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I started lowering my fiber intake after a nasty ER visit and some high-dose antibiotics. It had been an ongoing problem that was finally pushed over the edge. I used to get moderate cramping after eating a decent sized dinner, and I don't get that anymore. Obviously, I'm not making ER trips, or I wouldn't be in the cheering section for it.

I read Fiber Menace and I have been on the Gutsense website a number of times, but it's not like I even give fiber much thought. I just choose lower fiber over something higher when I have a choice, and I DEFINITELY don't go looking for fiber.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I saw someone mention it in a recent thread but I am curious to know more about this info. Since I have had a series of digestive issues (and have been following primal now for 3 weeks very seriously) I am always looking for ways to improve. He believes fiber is what causes constipation and a host of other digestive problems, my question is does that mean vegetables too? He recommends white bread over whole grain (I know we don't eat bread here) but does that info even make sense? Anyone try this out- very low fiber, atkins style diet- to improve their gut?
    I am not a fan of his claims at all and addressed many of them here:

Addressing "The Fiber Menace"

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read the book, but have checked out the site to get an idea of where he is coming from, I think he has a good message, but either he has missed the point or not put it across clearly.
    My take is:
    Fibre does not cause constipation, digestive problems, Microbiota imbalance, Inflammation from Gluten & Lectins etc cause constipation, but using fibre to fix it can be dangerous.
    So if you have a digestive problem then you do need to be wary of overloading your system with fibre as you may cause permanent mechanical damage, particularly insolouble fibre like wheat bran. If you are constipated, then loading more volume behind the blockage will only make the problem worse, you need to take a laxative, natural or not, even an enema if required to clear the blockage, and then gradually begin to introduce solid foods and let your gut heal and the appropriate microbiota to re-establish. I think the GAP's protocol is more on the right direction to support this process, ie. only liquid foods to start with and taking 12 months at least to get to a normal dietary approach.
    But if your GI tract is healthy, then normal intake of solouble fibre through good fruit and veg in your diet, even high fibre stuff is not an issue, your GI tract was designed to process it and does so quite effectively.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The kind of fiber in bran definitely stops me up. The kind of fiber in lettuce definitely moves things along. I think the Gut Sense guy would tell you not to stuff yourself with lettuce to move things along. You don't need THAT much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I'm no fiber expert, but I believe it's the TYPE of fiber that's important (soluble vs insoluble). Soluble feeds the good bacteria in your gut, while the insoluble is just a stool bulkener (<- made-up word, you know what I mean).

Fun With Fiber: The Real Scoop | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by Bosnic; 09-11-2012 at 07:16 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I haven't read the book, but have checked out the site to get an idea of where he is coming from, I think he has a good message, but either he has missed the point or not put it across clearly.
    My take is:
    Fibre does not cause constipation, digestive problems, Microbiota imbalance, Inflammation from Gluten & Lectins etc cause constipation, but using fibre to fix it can be dangerous.
    So if you have a digestive problem then you do need to be wary of overloading your system with fibre as you may cause permanent mechanical damage, particularly insolouble fibre like wheat bran. If you are constipated, then loading more volume behind the blockage will only make the problem worse, you need to take a laxative, natural or not, even an enema if required to clear the blockage, and then gradually begin to introduce solid foods and let your gut heal and the appropriate microbiota to re-establish. I think the GAP's protocol is more on the right direction to support this process, ie. only liquid foods to start with and taking 12 months at least to get to a normal dietary approach.
    But if your GI tract is healthy, then normal intake of solouble fibre through good fruit and veg in your diet, even high fibre stuff is not an issue, your GI tract was designed to process it and does so quite effectively.
    I would agree with that, especially when you're going under the assumption of a Paleo or Primal diet that doesn't include things like whole wheat bread and Fiber One bars.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    It definitely makes sense to me about fiber vs not eating fiber. I guess I will have to experiment but so far I really feel that when I eat strictly protein and fats it doesn't really sit in my stomach, as I begin to add more fibrous vegetables, then it just sits in my stomach for a longer period of time. Perhaps I have a hard time digesting. I am really trying to take this all seriously right now to get good results so any help/past experiences help.

Columbia is offline Junior Member
    My main motivation for going primal was to find a natural way to cure my digestive issues, specifically chronic constipation. I’ve had issues off and on my adult life. The worst was the 4 years following a year of constant antibiotics. I felt ready to say goodbye to my colon. Everyone is different, what works for some may not work for others. This book is one of the most helpful books I’ve read. If you suffer like I did, I highly recommend at least reading it to see if anything sounds familiar. For me, constipation from lack of hydration is CONVENTIONAL WISDOM. For several years, I ate all fibrous foods, beans, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, lentils, apples, prunes, brown rice, fiber, fiber and more fiber. I drank liters of water, chugged aloe vera juice, stretched and exercised, took Metamucil, psyllium seed, flax seed, tried vitamin C flushes, ANYTHING conventional to regulate me. The result? My issues were worse, up to 6 days without elimination, usually once every 4 days, for years! Laxatives were all that helped, which of course really make the problem worse long term.
    My biggest take aways were to stop forcing fiber through myself and to stop overhydrating. Fiber is important, but there are many types of fiber, they need to be balanced in the diet. Excess fiber, fiber supplements and fiber in grains shred my intestines and halt the digestion process. It’s like passing cement. There’s been blood and clogged toilets. TMI? Well I wish someone would have shared the info in this book with me 10 years ago and saved my intestines from trauma and myself from discomfort. Excess water doesn’t help me. It flushes essential minerals from my body, like magnesium and potassium, both of which are critical to hydrate the colon and keep digestive muscles responsive.
    In the past year and a half since I read this book and made changes, my digestion has definitely improved. I immediately stopped taking fiber supplements, and I only drink liquids before meals, or when I’m truly thirsty. I choose white rice over brown rice. Like RitaRose, I don’t go looking for fiber. I also supplement with daily multivitamins, magnesium and I regularly eat fermented vegetables or drink kombucha. I try to eliminate wheat, barley, oats, and other grains as much as I can. The result? Regularity…..at least to my standards. I have occasional problems, but it’s usually self-induced, from eating the wrong foods.
    I’m not trying to prove anyone wrong, but I feel that I’m living proof that Fiber Menace has some truth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast