Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Anyone know anything about Gut Sense/Fiber Menace Info? page 2

  1. #11
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    I’m not trying to prove anyone wrong, but I feel that I’m living proof that Fiber Menace has some truth.
    It's not that reducing fibre may benefit some people, it's more the way that the book is presented as "all fibre is a menace", this is a blatant misrepresentation, the fact is most individuals benefit from having fibre in their diet, but the issue of constipation needs to be treated properly, not just the standard "eat more fibre line".
    So in that way the conventional wisdom and fibre menace are both wrong, the truth lies somewhere inbetween.
    Now you say the worst time you had was after a year on antibiotics, well that would have decimated your gut flora and possibly allowed an overgrowth of Candida which may have done further damage to your GI tract, one would expect you would have had a hard time, what should have happened is a gradual process to ease your gut into the full digestive process, appropriate probiotics and monitoring of your bowel movements.
    The Gut Flora are more important than just about anything else regarding intestinal health, this is where the focus should be.

  2. #12
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    For several years, I ate all fibrous foods, beans, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, lentils, apples, prunes, brown rice, fiber, fiber and more fiber. I drank liters of water, chugged aloe vera juice, stretched and exercised, took Metamucil, psyllium seed, flax seed, tried vitamin C flushes, ANYTHING conventional to regulate me. The result? My issues were worse...but I feel that I’m living proof that Fiber Menace has some truth.
    I had a similar experience. I have 6+ years of IBS experience. I actually had only 2 BM in 2.5 months a couple summers ago. I missed my cousin's wedding because I was so bloated that I couldn't fit into my dress and had so much pain that I couldn't walk. Like Columbia, I tried every so-called remedy out there, no matter how ridiculous. I saw 2 gastroenterologists, accunpuncturists, herbalists, naturopathic doctors...took a shit ton of probiotics, tried colon hydrotherapy...nothing helped. I wasn't able to heal myself until the information in Fiber Menace gave me the missing piece of the puzzle. For me, it was a godsend.

    I cured my IBS using a protocol I developed by gathering info and suggestions from a variety of resources. Basically, what I did was:

    1) Eat very low fiber (in the beginning, as close to zero as possible, now less than 10g/day)
    2) supplement with probiotics and fermented/cultured foods
    3) drink lots of homemade bone broth
    4) supplement with L-glutamine for about 2 months
    5) eat smaller meals

    It took several months for me to improve, but once I did, it was like being a new person. I had been Intermittent Fasting for months, sometimes eating just one huge meal per day. While I think the science behind IF is sound, and is great for people with functioning digestive systems, I was surprised to realize that eating too much at once was actually a big IBS trigger for me.

    Now that I'm significantly improved, I find that my system can handle a little more than it used to. When I was having flares, eating dried fruit was a trigger, and so were berries or any fruit with the skin. Even pureed pumpkin made me stopped up and bloated, which in theory doesn't make sense, because supposedly soluable fiber is good for the system. But mine just couldn't deal with it then and it was a source of misery. Now, I can eat dried fruit, the occasional unpeeled fruit/veggie, and stuff like pureed pumpin is no longer a problem. Now that I'm functional, I don't avoid soluable fiber, but I do avoid insoluable fiber as much as possible.

    Also, I used the Hydro-C supplement from the gutsense website. I was a little wary about trying yet another thing to ease my constipation that wouldn't work, but this was the one and only ting that ever worked for me. There was no bloating, cramping, or dependency. Healing your guts is a long process, and I found this stuff to be helpful in keeping things moving along during the process until I got to where I don't need to rely on it anymore. It works like clockwork for me, and since I now only tend to get stopped up when travelling, I bought an extra bottle to travel with, and it is such a lifesaver for me!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 09-12-2012 at 03:24 AM.

  3. #13
    Rueben's Avatar
    Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I had a similar experience. I have 6+ years of IBS experience. I actually had only 2 BM in 2.5 months a couple summers ago. I missed my cousin's wedding because I was so bloated that I couldn't fit into my dress and had so much pain that I couldn't walk. Like Columbia, I tried every so-called remedy out there, no matter how ridiculous. I saw 2 gastroenterologists, accunpuncturists, herbalists, naturopathic doctors...took a shit ton of probiotics, tried colon hydrotherapy...nothing helped. I wasn't able to heal myself until the information in Fiber Menace gave me the missing piece of the puzzle. For me, it was a godsend.

    I cured my IBS using a protocol I developed by gathering info and suggestions from a variety of resources. Basically, what I did was:

    1) Eat very low fiber (in the beginning, as close to zero as possible, now less than 10g/day)
    2) supplement with probiotics and fermented/cultured foods
    3) drink lots of homemade bone broth
    4) supplement with L-glutamine for about 2 months
    5) eat smaller meals

    It took several months for me to improve, but once I did, it was like being a new person. I had been Intermittent Fasting for months, sometimes eating just one huge meal per day. While I think the science behind IF is sound, and is great for people with functioning digestive systems, I was surprised to realize that eating too much at once was actually a big IBS trigger for me.

    Now that I'm significantly improved, I find that my system can handle a little more than it used to. When I was having flares, eating dried fruit was a trigger, and so were berries or any fruit with the skin. Even pureed pumpkin made me stopped up and bloated, which in theory doesn't make sense, because supposedly soluable fiber is good for the system. But mine just couldn't deal with it then and it was a source of misery. Now, I can eat dried fruit, the occasional unpeeled fruit/veggie, and stuff like pureed pumpin is no longer a problem. Now that I'm functional, I don't avoid soluable fiber, but I do avoid insoluable fiber as much as possible.

    Also, I used the Hydro-C supplement from the gutsense website. I was a little wary about trying yet another thing to ease my constipation that wouldn't work, but this was the one and only ting that ever worked for me. There was no bloating, cramping, or dependency. Healing your guts is a long process, and I found this stuff to be helpful in keeping things moving along during the process until I got to where I don't need to rely on it anymore. It works like clockwork for me, and since I now only tend to get stopped up when travelling, I bought an extra bottle to travel with, and it is such a lifesaver for me!
    I have just been through a couple of months of trying to help my 11yr old daughter with her constipation problems. She was going every five days!

    I have tried prunes, water, cutting out wheat with no effect. It wasn't until I read gutsense website last week that the lightbulb went off and I started her on probiotics. After 7 days she "went" without pain two days in a row. That is unheard of and when I think back its been going on for years. She had a lot of antibiotics for ear infections and scarlet fever when she was younger. I wish I had put two and two together.earlier.
    Last edited by Rueben; 09-12-2012 at 06:26 AM.

  4. #14
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I have tried following his protocol, but I believe I has bacterial dysbiosis (my gut bacteria is out of whack/reduced) so I'm not having great results. Yes, veggies count too. I think BestBetter (did I get that right?) has more experience following a low-fiber diet longer term to help with IBS symptoms.
    Have you checked out the gutflora.com website? They mention dysbiosis and even though it's likely you already know/are doing everything they recommend, it's a pretty good resource, if you haven't come across it yet:


    Effect

  5. #15
    Columbia's Avatar
    Columbia is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9
    Ruben, that’s awesome, my parent’s probably think I was a hypochondriac.

    The name is misleading. The title cites fiber as the menace, but the book details many other factors as well. Ah yes, probiotics, I left those out. So rounds of antibiotics from UTIs, respiratory infections, female infections, and ear infections definitely wiped out my gut flora, I don’t disagree there. I didn’t know this at the time and I trusted my doctors, oops. During several visits I can remember the doctors feeling the around the lumps in my abdomen, questioning when I’d last used the bathroom, then sending me home with milk of magnesia, along with my antibiotics and pain relievers. Never once did any of them connect antibiotic abuse to my problem.

    Unfortunately for me, re-populating my gut was very challenging. I feel like I wasted money on probiotics because at the time I took them, I think my insides were too damaged to house them. Good probiotics are expensive too, and at the time I didn’t see results to justify the expense. The chronic constipation was broken up by spells of severe diarrhea too. Again, TMI, I know, but I hope sharing this will help someone. After being stopped up for almost 7 days, then I’d have the opposite and be on the toilet 7 times a day, sometime laxative induced, sometimes food poisoning, sometimes diet irritation (hot wings). In retrospect, everything stopped up in me was probably poisoning me too, and my body would finally release. This was always a relief compared to the chronic problem, but the timing was always inconvenient, and I think every time I had those “relief” days, whatever flora I had built up was wiped out again.

    On a related note, here’s a link to a recent article in USA Today about C.Diff. Thank heavens I never contracted this, but it goes to show how difficult it is to fix a gut flora problem once damage has been done. Since going primal, I’ve had the mentality that our bodies have evolved with germs, so exposure helps keep our immune systems strong. My experience pales in severity and this article terrifies me, I’m now more germphobic:

    Far more could be done to stop the deadly bacteria C. diff

    Let’s see, what else. FODMAPs may have helped too, but now I feel healed enough that I can tolerate the restricted foods. Not sure what I’d do without onions and avacados! GAPs seems like a great approach too, had primal not worked, or had I not read fiber menace I probably would have resorted to that. Both would have been difficult for me to implement. I now travel constantly, meals tend to be a focal part of work trips, not to mention family events and life in general. Bone broth just isn’t an option most of the time, but I do enjoy it when I can. I took glutamine too, I assume it’s helped. To manage my unprimal lifestyle (my own fault I know), I’ve found IF to be a great tool as well. Luckily it’s something that was natural for me anyway, I didn’t know it had a name before MDA. My life’s too unpredictable and erratic to eat at consistent times. Years ago when my problems peaked, that probably didn’t help my irregularity. Now I think it definitely helps me and allows my intestines to rest peacefully, especially now that they’re not suffocated by crap, sorry for the pun. When not traveling, at work I’m labeled the one who eats “weird” foods, in conjunction with IF I’m sure coworkers probably think I have some strange eating disorder.

    I’m thankful for MDA where “weird” topics can be discussed!

  6. #16
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,199
    I tried the capsule pro-biotics with the 8 different bugs in them. Supposedly they can survive the stomach and make it deeper. Seemed to help a lot. I took them for about a week or two. I have always trended toward constipation. I do pretty well, even when I go very low carb, so long as I have at least a little bit of vegetables. But starchy foods can give me constipation and stuff like bran muffins are a holy terror (and a wholy tear as the cement shit bricks rip holes in my colon.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  7. #17
    VeggieLover's Avatar
    VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I had a similar experience. I have 6+ years of IBS experience. I actually had only 2 BM in 2.5 months a couple summers ago. I missed my cousin's wedding because I was so bloated that I couldn't fit into my dress and had so much pain that I couldn't walk. Like Columbia, I tried every so-called remedy out there, no matter how ridiculous. I saw 2 gastroenterologists, accunpuncturists, herbalists, naturopathic doctors...took a shit ton of probiotics, tried colon hydrotherapy...nothing helped. I wasn't able to heal myself until the information in Fiber Menace gave me the missing piece of the puzzle. For me, it was a godsend.

    I cured my IBS using a protocol I developed by gathering info and suggestions from a variety of resources. Basically, what I did was:

    1) Eat very low fiber (in the beginning, as close to zero as possible, now less than 10g/day)
    2) supplement with probiotics and fermented/cultured foods
    3) drink lots of homemade bone broth
    4) supplement with L-glutamine for about 2 months
    5) eat smaller meals

    It took several months for me to improve, but once I did, it was like being a new person. I had been Intermittent Fasting for months, sometimes eating just one huge meal per day. While I think the science behind IF is sound, and is great for people with functioning digestive systems, I was surprised to realize that eating too much at once was actually a big IBS trigger for me.

    Now that I'm significantly improved, I find that my system can handle a little more than it used to. When I was having flares, eating dried fruit was a trigger, and so were berries or any fruit with the skin. Even pureed pumpkin made me stopped up and bloated, which in theory doesn't make sense, because supposedly soluable fiber is good for the system. But mine just couldn't deal with it then and it was a source of misery. Now, I can eat dried fruit, the occasional unpeeled fruit/veggie, and stuff like pureed pumpin is no longer a problem. Now that I'm functional, I don't avoid soluable fiber, but I do avoid insoluable fiber as much as possible.

    Also, I used the Hydro-C supplement from the gutsense website. I was a little wary about trying yet another thing to ease my constipation that wouldn't work, but this was the one and only ting that ever worked for me. There was no bloating, cramping, or dependency. Healing your guts is a long process, and I found this stuff to be helpful in keeping things moving along during the process until I got to where I don't need to rely on it anymore. It works like clockwork for me, and since I now only tend to get stopped up when travelling, I bought an extra bottle to travel with, and it is such a lifesaver for me!
    WOW THank you SO MUCH for this info. I thought there was something to that site, it totally makes sense. I honestly have had the same issues, I tried every single different diet out there but it was not until my holistic doctor told me that I am so severely protein deficient that I took Paleo seriously. I started experimenting with less vegetables and all of a sudden its like things are moving better, even without the fiber.

    I find this all interesting and so happy to see that it works for people.

    When you say LOW fiber- less than 10g- can you just give me an example of that so I understand? Is that less than 1 cup of vegetables?

    I take L Glutamine and probiotics, have been for years and years and my body is now just slowly absorbing. I hope if I continue on this type of diet it will heal all my issues.

  8. #18
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    WOW THank you SO MUCH for this info. I thought there was something to that site, it totally makes sense. I honestly have had the same issues, I tried every single different diet out there but it was not until my holistic doctor told me that I am so severely protein deficient that I took Paleo seriously. I started experimenting with less vegetables and all of a sudden its like things are moving better, even without the fiber.

    I find this all interesting and so happy to see that it works for people.

    When you say LOW fiber- less than 10g- can you just give me an example of that so I understand? Is that less than 1 cup of vegetables?

    I take L Glutamine and probiotics, have been for years and years and my body is now just slowly absorbing. I hope if I continue on this type of diet it will heal all my issues.
    Initially, the low fiber idea was kind of a blow, because I was really in the mindset, 'the more veggies, the better!'. It was difficult for me to believe that they were really impacting me in the way they were. Everyone has a different threshold, so my fiber limits might not be appropriate for you, but there's really no way to know until you just experiment for yourself.

    When I was doing an elimination diet, I found that eating a whole avocado for me was really problematic. I couldn't understand why, since they are so full of good fats, and everyone on this website seems to revere them. Later, I found out that they have about 10grams of fiber a piece, which is probably why they gave me so much trouble.

    So, I started my low fiber adventure by sticking mainly to the few veggies with the lowest fiber, or ones that I could peel and deseed: zucchini + squashes, eggplant, cucumber, carrots, some red peppers. Also, I ate them in much smaller amounts - maybe 1-2 servings (sometimes less) servings per day. When I was worried that I wasn't getting enough variety, I used my juicer to make carrot, ginger, kale, parsley juice (or other combinations) so that I could still get all the nutrients without the indigestible fiber. That was a big help.

    I don't eat those Big Ass Salads anymore - I've realized that for me, they really clog up the works. If I eat an apple, I peel it first, and if I'm eating something that's mainly insoluable fiber (like most leafy greens) I have a very small serving, and try not to do it too often. Also, cooking can help break down some of the fiber, so another thing that helps me is to avoid any raw veggies, and only eat cooked stuff.

    If you're not eating 'whole grains', and you're peeling/deseeding your fruits and veggies (or staying away from the really fibrious ones), it shouldn't be too difficult to even reach the 10 gram limit (but that's me). But, again, that's my threshold, and you might have more or less wiggle room with that.

    Another issue is that it may take a long time to see improvements. Some people, luckily, see major improvements with some probiotics, especially if they address gut flora issues quickly enough, or their issues aren't complicated by chronic inflammation, leaky gut, etc... Unfortunately, it took months for my system to really improve, and I came close to giving up, because I can be pretty impatient when I don't see instant results.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 09-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.

  9. #19
    VeggieLover's Avatar
    VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Initially, the low fiber idea was kind of a blow, because I was really in the mindset, 'the more veggies, the better!'. It was difficult for me to believe that they were really impacting me in the way they were. Everyone has a different threshold, so my fiber limits might not be appropriate for you, but there's really no way to know until you just experiment for yourself.

    When I was doing an elimination diet, I found that eating a whole avocado for me was really problematic. I couldn't understand why, since they are so full of good fats, and everyone on this website seems to revere them. Later, I found out that they have about 10grams of fiber a piece, which is probably why they gave me so much trouble.

    So, I started my low fiber adventure by sticking mainly to the few veggies with the lowest fiber, or ones that I could peel and deseed: zucchini + squashes, eggplant, cucumber, carrots, some red peppers. Also, I ate them in much smaller amounts - maybe 1-2 servings (sometimes less) servings per day. When I was worried that I wasn't getting enough variety, I used my juicer to make carrot, ginger, kale, parsley juice (or other combinations) so that I could still get all the nutrients without the indigestible fiber. That was a big help.

    I don't eat those Big Ass Salads anymore - I've realized that for me, they really clog up the works. If I eat an apple, I peel it first, and if I'm eating something that's mainly insoluable fiber (like most leafy greens) I have a very small serving, and try not to do it too often. Also, cooking can help break down some of the fiber, so another thing that helps me is to avoid any raw veggies, and only eat cooked stuff.

    If you're not eating 'whole grains', and you're peeling/deseeding your fruits and veggies (or staying away from the really fibrious ones), it shouldn't be too difficult to even reach the 10 gram limit (but that's me). But, again, that's my threshold, and you might have more or less wiggle room with that.

    Another issue is that it may take a long time to see improvements. Some people, luckily, see major improvements with some probiotics, especially if they address gut flora issues quickly enough, or their issues aren't complicated by chronic inflammation, leaky gut, etc... Unfortunately, it took months for my system to really improve, and I came close to giving up, because I can be pretty impatient when I don't see instant results.
    I am the same way BestBetter, in that I get very impatient when I have no immediate results. How long would you say it took you? I would say I have come a long way (its been many years of so many issues) but I have come to realize that diet is probably the best way to resolve all of this. I have had thyroid problems as a result of all of this and many hormonal problems too. However I think its all starting to resolve itself slowly, and hopefully this diet will be the missing link to ALL of my problems as most problems stem from the gut.

    I am hopeful 3-4 months I will be really seeing the results, would you say that was your timing?

  10. #20
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,383
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Have you checked out the gutflora.com website? They mention dysbiosis and even though it's likely you already know/are doing everything they recommend, it's a pretty good resource, if you haven't come across it yet:


    Effect
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm still struggling with constipation and will probably get Hydro-C soon to help me out while I figure out the rest. Epsom salts work, but I think they're probably more vigorous than Hydro-C would be.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •