Thread: October 2009 to September 2012 Diabetes "cured"? page

Misti is offline Member

October 2009 to September 2012 Diabetes "cured"?

Primal Fuel
    Hey, all,

I had my annual (required by the insurance company) physical with "bometric screeening" (the doc isn't sure what that means, either LOL) and I just had to share...

I am approaching 60, as is my husband, In 2008, we were grey faced and exhausted. We were always in a lot of pain, me from arthritis in every joint and my husband from fibromyalgia and gout. We had been healthy enough a few years earlier to surprise ourselves with a late life child less than a year after our wedding, but now something was going very badly wrong.

By mid-2009, I was struggling along on a walking frame, too dizzy to move without it. My blood sugar was steadily rising, despite increasing levels of medication and insulin. (I was diagnosed with diabetes back in 1996, but I'd been able to control it with diet and exercise up until that point.)

My cholesterol was high and getting higher, my triglycerides were high, and my blood pressure, up until then always low normal, was rising. Oh, and I have always been very fat. I was down from my high of 350, but still in the realm morbid obesity. It had never been a problem before. As I say, we had been pretty healthy in spite of our "luxurious padding".

We have always been interested in wholesome and healthy foods, so my family was eating along the lines recommended by Weston Price, with raw dairy, spouted grains, and lots of pastured meats, bone broths, and organic vegetables.

In 2009, my husband was diagnosed with celiac. We went gluten free as a family, because it's just plain easier to cook one meal for all of us. A few months later, he started talking about the SCD as a way to heal his gut from years of abuse, so we started working toward SCD compliance by dropping all grains and weaning ourselves off other things that weren't SCD compliant. In 2010, our son was also diagnosed with celiac.

In my Internet seaches for recipes we could eat, I kept finding myself on Paleo and Primal blogs where the recipes were always 'safe". Over time, I started reading more about why folks were dedicated to paleo/primal living. I came across Mark's Daily Apple, and this is where I found the most convincing explanations of how it all works.

Meanwhile, my husband discovered that he was also very sensitive to dairy and soy, so I started sharing what I was learning about ancestral eating, and it all made a lot of sense to us. We dropped lugumes, just because of those ideas and suddenly my family started to notice that we weren't havng the stomach upsets we had accepted as "normal". Aha!

So, we started eating ancestrally and by 2010 we were pretty compliant. (That's easy when you're not just theoretically eating better, but actively avoiding the poor health and agony we were experiencing.)

Things started to improve. My arthritis went away, my dizziness cleared up, and my blood pressure started to come down. In 2010, my doctor took me off all diabetes medications. In 2011, my husband and I started to lose weight, and our complexions improved dramatically.

That brings us today. After three years of eating increasingly primally, my blood pressure is back to low normal, my cholesterol is perfect, and my blood sugar is so good that even after a glucose challenge it remains in the non-diabatic range. My doctor says that my diabetes is 'cured". (I don't believe that because if I started eating grains again, I have no doubt that my diabetes would be back.) I have been off the walking frame for several years and can now walk 2.5 miles three times per week carrying a 35 pound backpack.

Life is good, thanks to ancestral eating.

Thank you, Mark, for making a HUGE difefrence in so many lives.
    Last edited by Misti; 09-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Mossy is offline Junior Member
    LOVE this story. My best wishes and congratulations to you and your family... Enjoy your health!

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Outstanding!!!!!!!! Congratulations on all your success.

Mommymd

Paleobird Guest
    This is GREAT. You should write this up and send it to Mark. It would make a great Friday Success Story post.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    That's incredible and will inspire a lot of people around here. Aside from primal, can you expand on your diet? How many carbs per day would you say you have been taking in during this process?

Bess58 is offline Member
    My heartfelt congratulations! I am always looking for stories from older people who significantly improved their health through primal eating. Misti, I think we have "met" in another thread with a similar topic - unfortunately the thread died.

I second Paleobird's suggestion: You should send your success story to Mark. As I said in the other thread, sometimes it is overwhelming to see all those young people, especially the guys, succeed so fast - although of course I am happy for everybody who achieves their goals.

But you and your husband are great role models for us older people (I'm a bit younger than you, 54 and a half, but no big difference). I'm trying to do the same as you did and what I call "coming back from being old", and you give me courage! I'm diabetic too, but my blood sugar is not back to normal yet, although I don't need any meds for it. I also walk with a weighted backpack as you do, but so far I can only do 7 kgs / a little over 15 pounds. (I have a friend, a much smaller woman than I am, who walked the pilgrimage to Santiago in Spain, and this is what her backpack weighed, so I thought I should at least be able to carry that weight.) Eight months ago I took up heavy lifting, and this has made a big difference!

Please, keep us posted about your successes! Best wishes, Bess

Misti is offline Member
    Thank you for the good thoughts, everyone!

I hadn't thought I really had anything to share until i can at least do some of the LHT stuff, Paleobird. Once I can squat or do a knees pushup, or *something*, I will feel like I have something to brag about. I have a very long way to go on fitness, though. My after photos just show a reasonably healthy old lady -- no muscles in sight yet.

Hi, Joe2.0. My carb count has been steadily declining. Our diet is constantly being reconfigured. In the beginning, we did a huge amount of pseudo paleo baking since my husband is an avid baker and breadmaker. As we got acclimated to primal eating, our desire for baked goods dropped off. Then, earlier this summer, my husband's doctor asked him to go on a three month super low carb regimine to do battle with a systemic fungal infection. At that point, we dropped the starchy vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash, beetroot, parsnip, turnip and swedes. My husband calculates that we're getting between 40 and 50 grams per day. When I had a splurge meal recently that was generous in carrots and beetroot, I realized I feel much better without them. However, my hbA1C had dropped to 5.7 while we were eating plenty of starchy vegetables, so super low carb isn't absolutely required to get better control.

I remember you, Bess. Yes, it is more encouraging, after a certain age, to see that us oldsters can do it too than to see page after page of pretty youth. (Mark and others who came to this from a lifetime of fitness prove that age can be pretty darned good looking, too, but my goals are far more modest.)

I'll keep you posted with my victories if y'all promise to do the same.

Misti
    Last edited by Misti; 10-05-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: fixed typos
    Misti

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    So good to see the PB can help anyone, no matter their prior health of sickness. My mum is your age, and although she doesn't have health problems, she always asks me 'are you sure it isn't too late for me?'. I always tell her your never too old to make improvements in your life, and stories like yours proves everything!

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Very cool story...might send a link of this page to my dad. Way to go!

Misti is offline Member
    Goosejuggler, tell your Mum that the human body wants to heal, we just have to give it the chance. She can never be (or look) 25 again, but she can be the hottest, healthiest 60 year old in Perth with just a little effort. (I say a little because once you have the recipes and habits, it's really not much work - -not like dieting or chronic cardio or something.)

Adameads, please do send a link to your Dad -- I want to shout from the rooftops that so much is possible, if we just know how.
    Misti