Thread: Anyone ever had hernia surgery? having surgery for one monday page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Anyone ever had hernia surgery? having surgery for one monday

Primal Fuel
    Its right in the center of my abs really small doesn't even hurt even when I'm lifting weights. But doc thinks I should get it taken care of now. Just wondering if anyone has had minor hernia repair and what I should expect during recovery like after a few weeks could you go back to lifting just like before? Did you have any problems with foods afterwards.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    I'd advise you to avoid an old-school "open" tension procedure (probably not under consideration for a small ventral hernia). A typical laparoscopic mesh repair will leave you with 3 small abdominal holes (navel & 2 bilaterally) and minor pain from the mesh attachment itself--probably 1-2 weeks recovery wrt general activity, but I can't speak to direct targeted stress such as lifting. There is a Hernia Institute in Pennsylvania that claims to specialize in low-impact repair and very quick turnaround; sometimes patients fly in and out same day. This is not a testimonial, as I have no direct experience with them, but you may want to read up on Dr. Goodyear's methods, which are supposedly even less invasive than laparoscopy.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Either way it will suck and you won't ever be the same, not drastically, just sayin' you probably could achieve the 98% recovery range, its the 2% that really sucks..........
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I had hernia surgery, I recovered fine and lifting weights afterwards wasn't an issue. I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavy for 4 weeks though (perhaps longer) and I could barely walk around the first few days.