Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee and the Adrenals? page 3

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    After reading this thread I'm going to start cutting back my coffee. I've found myself crashing in the afternoon even with increased coffee intake! Is it okay to switch to decaf? I love the taste of black coffee and really enjoy a few cups in the morning.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Theobromine...come to the dark side. Yeah, it's probably not the best way. It's tasty though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Don't know if you ever collected stinging nettle before. For anyone that has not done it wear pants, long sleeve shirt and gloves. Contacting the fresh plant with the skin will result in a nettle rash from the histamine and formic acid. I cut the plant then let it wilt a little, which reduces these compounds. Then I strip off the leaves so they will dry faster and spread them out on some clean paper in well ventilated room out of the sunlight to finish drying. Once dried the nettle completely loses its sting.
    Good advice James...I would add 'wear gloves'...LOL..I'm enjoying this thread. Oh, on reading again I see you did say gloves...my coffee isn't working it seems.

sheepdog is offline Member
    ...I've been thinking about eliminating coffee...anybody else do this? What are the benefits to not drinking coffee?

muge is offline Junior Member
    I can't imagine a life without coffee

I have Addisons disease, and I love my coffee.

I drink 1 cup caffeinated when I wake up, then I drink decaf the rest of the day.

I drink mine with no sugar/sweeteners, just a splash (about an ounce) full fat half and half or whole milk.
    Began Paleo journey 06/08/2014
    Beginning weight: 244.3 pounds/ 41.8% bodyfat
    Current Weight: 235.4 pounds/41.0% bodyfat
    Goal weight: 150 pounds/ 15% bodyfat

"The path to a better life begins with a single step."

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    ...I've been thinking about eliminating coffee...anybody else do this? What are the benefits to not drinking coffee?
    Feeling like crap basically forever, but that's not a benefit I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Feeling like crap basically forever, but that's not a benefit I guess.
    Out of all the diet cliques online, the low carbers are the most dependent on caffeine, by far.
    I can relate. Coffee was a life saver for me when I was low carb.

Adopt a healthier dietary lifestyle and you won't have to rely on a stimulant to keep you from "feeling like crap"

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Out of all the diet cliques online, the low carbers are the most dependent on caffeine, by far.
    I can relate. Coffee was a life saver for me when I was low carb.

Adopt a healthier dietary lifestyle and you won't have to rely on a stimulant to keep you from "feeling like crap"
    People who are addicted to caffeine are addicted to caffeine, when they stop they feel like crap, for a long long time...and it doesn't have anything to do with their diet dude.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I quit drinking coffee once before (weaning off over a couple weeks) because I thought tea might be a better option. I didn't have a withdrawal period or anything, but I flat out love the taste of good coffee and I missed that. I also didn't notice any appreciable changes for the better not drinking coffee so I started again.
    More recently I did switch to full decaf (cold turkey) for many months to try and deal with suspected adrenal issues and I think it helped. Now that I seem to be on the upswing, I'm using half-decaf (for about two months now, started at quarter-caf) and don't sweat it if I get a cup of full-caf when I'm out and forget to order decaf but I don't think I'm crazy sensitive to caffeine, either.
    If you find you're using coffee as a crutch to get through your day there may well be a benefit to stopping, if not cutting back. If you enjoy it and it's not seeming to cause you any harm, perhaps there's no point. All you can do is try and see what happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast