Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious help for binging!?! page

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member

Serious help for binging!?!

Primal Fuel
    I have noticed the older I get (I'm 31 in October) the more prone I am to binging. I am at my wits end. Yesterday was my first day to go primal (for the 2nd or 3rd time) and I felt like I did well most of the day. I started my morning with a warm mug of lemon ginger water. Approx 30 minutes later I had 2 eggs fried in olive oil, 3 pc beef bacon (no sugar), and half an avocado. At lunch I had half a rotisserie chicken and about a cup of grapes and strawberries. But dinner: Pizza!

So, today I started again: Lemon ginger water, eggs, bacon, avocado. But I wasn't satiated by any means. I grazed on a carrot stick. I had a banana. Drank some more lemon water. And then ate 4 hotdogs heated in the microwave. Yes, I know...totally not primal. But I thought if nothing else it was a form of meat choice (albeit poor) that had a high fat content and was quick without much preparation. Well this was just the beginning because by noon I felt as if I was going stark raving mad. I baked a freaking "dump cake" which is canned fruit, topped with a dry cake mix, topped with 2 sticks of butter all baked for an hour. And then I consumed a third of it. Seriously?? What is wrong with me?

I cannot explain what goes through my brain. I cannot explain why I seem to feel deprived or hungry. All I know is once I start allowing thoughts of cheating to creep into my brain there is seems to be no turning back. But I cannot have something little and say "Ok, I'm good. I satisfied that craving". No, I full on binge. It's very concerning to me.

I've had my horrible choice today and I am good and full now. But I still have dinner to prepare and have after my husband gets home. We are full well prepared for a dinner "on track" and that's what I intend to do. What I need to know is how do I deal, during the first week, with the emotions, hunger, and cravings? What is some advice or tips you can offer?

I understand that the first and foremost answer to deter the binging would be to purge my house of anything I'm not supposed to have. But my husband won't let me "throw away perfectly good food" even is something that is unhealthy for us. Also, I have a 2 year old whose primary diet consists of spaghetti O's, frozen chicken nuggets, peanut butter crackers, oatmeal, granola bars, and bread with butter. None of which he SHOULD be eating. But I am lost as to how to convert him to eating healthier when he is so picky as well how to get my husband fully on board with converting the whole family.

Don't get me wrong. My husband eats what I cook for the most part. But no amount of pushing will convince him to not drink soda, eat sandwiches, and want crackers and such type foods to snack on in between eating. The one time I did clean everything like that out he would continue to walk through the kitchen, opening all the cabinets and complain that there was nothing to eat. Now I feel like I am whining but I really need some advice and direction.

And by the way, I've never binged in front of my husband. I will do it before he gets home from work knowing that I'll still get to have dinner later. UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    I have noticed the older I get (I'm 31 in October) the more prone I am to binging. I am at my wits end. Yesterday was my first day to go primal (for the 2nd or 3rd time) and I felt like I did well most of the day. I started my morning with a warm mug of lemon ginger water. Approx 30 minutes later I had 2 eggs fried in olive oil, 3 pc beef bacon (no sugar), and half an avocado. At lunch I had half a rotisserie chicken and about a cup of grapes and strawberries. But dinner: Pizza!

So, today I started again: Lemon ginger water, eggs, bacon, avocado. But I wasn't satiated by any means. I grazed on a carrot stick. I had a banana. Drank some more lemon water. And then ate 4 hotdogs heated in the microwave. Yes, I know...totally not primal. But I thought if nothing else it was a form of meat choice (albeit poor) that had a high fat content and was quick without much preparation. Well this was just the beginning because by noon I felt as if I was going stark raving mad. I baked a freaking "dump cake" which is canned fruit, topped with a dry cake mix, topped with 2 sticks of butter all baked for an hour. And then I consumed a third of it. Seriously?? What is wrong with me?

I cannot explain what goes through my brain. I cannot explain why I seem to feel deprived or hungry. All I know is once I start allowing thoughts of cheating to creep into my brain there is seems to be no turning back. But I cannot have something little and say "Ok, I'm good. I satisfied that craving". No, I full on binge. It's very concerning to me.

I've had my horrible choice today and I am good and full now. But I still have dinner to prepare and have after my husband gets home. We are full well prepared for a dinner "on track" and that's what I intend to do. What I need to know is how do I deal, during the first week, with the emotions, hunger, and cravings? What is some advice or tips you can offer?

I understand that the first and foremost answer to deter the binging would be to purge my house of anything I'm not supposed to have. But my husband won't let me "throw away perfectly good food" even is something that is unhealthy for us. Also, I have a 2 year old whose primary diet consists of spaghetti O's, frozen chicken nuggets, peanut butter crackers, oatmeal, granola bars, and bread with butter. None of which he SHOULD be eating. But I am lost as to how to convert him to eating healthier when he is so picky as well how to get my husband fully on board with converting the whole family.

Don't get me wrong. My husband eats what I cook for the most part. But no amount of pushing will convince him to not drink soda, eat sandwiches, and want crackers and such type foods to snack on in between eating. The one time I did clean everything like that out he would continue to walk through the kitchen, opening all the cabinets and complain that there was nothing to eat. Now I feel like I am whining but I really need some advice and direction.

And by the way, I've never binged in front of my husband. I will do it before he gets home from work knowing that I'll still get to have dinner later. UGH!
    i have a hard time with binging too...try reading julia ross's book the diet cure..has a lot of info..i need to get it back from my friend so i can start using the amino acids she recomends.

ps- i would also try to cut out the fruit & stick to the basic meat, fats, & veggies in the begining..thats just me though.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what your issue is-but for me it was leptin. I am a recovering food addict. I used to weigh 235. I weigh 145 now. Even when I lost weight every day it was an act of will to stay on my plan. I never felt satiety even with more protein and less carbs. I was a full out addict-seeking a dopamine fix from food regardless of whether I had eaten or not. I would struggle everyday with this. after about 3 weeks eating straight paleo I would give in and just eat tons and tons of ice cream or I would bake. I tried to incorporate my binge foods a little at time to not "deprive" myself but that would just spur the cravings more.

Now I finally found what works for me. I intermittant fast every day from 8:30 at night to noon. I do have 2 bulletproof coffees in that time. Then I end up eating a couple of good, whole, paleo meals during the eating phase. I feel fantastic and I never have that drive anymore to over consume. I also used to start my day with a hearty paleo breakfast and then I would think to myself how could I possibly still be hungry and driven to binge after eating breakfast and a good lunch.

By concentrating on lots of fat I lost all my urge to binge. I have tons of grass fed butter and CO everyday. I mix it in the coffee-I have about 1000 calories of fat a day. It is crazy. I actually leaned out even more which I did not think I could do.

The freedom from the binge is amazing.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I think that IF would be a good idea for you as well. I don't deliberately fast, but I'm not usually hungry in the morning and only eat when I do get hungry, which is around 11:30am (with the exception of about 16 oz of coffee before then). I have a pretty big meal (today it was home-made beef stew, about a cup of baby carrots, and home-made baba ganoush) at that time, which fills me up to the point of not being able to eat anymore. I'm legitimately full after this meal, which is generally about 700 Calories or so.

I don't get hungry until around 7:30, at which point I eat dinner (tonight it will be some pork tenderloin, steamed local broccoli, baba ganoush, and some seltzer with coconut milk and vanilla extract mixed in -- tastes like cream soda!). Sometimes I also have a piece of fruit, a spoonful of almond butter, or something else that's sweet. Again, I'm totally, truly full afterwards. I don't want anything else. I drink water or seltzer the rest of the night before heading to bed. So, without even trying, I only eat in an 8-9 hour window.

Mind you, I used to be part of the "6 mini-meals a day" bandwagon and for years never really knew what hunger or fullness was. As a result, I binge ate a lot. After a day of eating every 2-3 hours, I'd pick up a large vanilla milkshake and two apple pies from McDonald's on my drive home from work, eating them during my drive. Why? Because having a waffle for breakfast, 10 baby carrots for snack, a spinach salad with tofu for lunch, and a handful of nuts for a snack was just appeasing my need for a schedule; it wasn't actually curbing hunger, helping my metabolism, or even satisfying me. That's why I'm reiterating how important it is to be TRULY full to curb binge tendencies.
    Last edited by MissJecka; 09-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Relaygirl: Thank you so much for sharing that. It certainly sounds similar. Is there any particular way to determine the leptin issue. I will search and read to learn what I can. I did paleo last year for 6 weeks but couldn't make it past that. I have since restarted a few times unsuccessfully. I am 245 lbs right now. I desperately want to get under 200. Ideally under 165. But it seems like such a long way to go. I have PCOS and I really wanted to do this to align my hormones because I want to have a baby but even medical intervention (clomid and period inducing drugs) haven't helped.

Thank again for sharing what worked for you. I will admit that while eating a SAD diet there were more mornings than not that I would wake up and not eat. I could go well until noon and be ok. But on mornings when I would eat breakfast would feel hungry again so much sooner. Perhaps I will give it a go and see how it works. May I ask how long it took you to get where you are today? Also, what recipe do you use for your bp coffee? 1 tbsp each of butter and CO in the coffee or what ratio?

All I want is to not be ravenous throughout the day and have the ability to get over the incessant cravings for sweets!

Miss Jecka: Thanks for your response as well! Your trip through McDonald's drive through definitely sounds like something I would do!

gated312 is offline Member
    I think some people really battle with this a lot more than others. Me personally? I love food. God do I love food. What's more is that eating is a social thing for me, my family loves to get together for appetizers and drinks. When it comes to things like pizza and other completely non-paleo foods, keep in mind that these things do taste good (to most people). You may feel like crap an hour after eating it, but it tastes good when you eat it. Its engineered to taste good, so it does. Factor in dependency on carbohydrate rich foods for satiety, its no wonder that you crave foods like the ones you're eating.

My personal experience with getting past cravings is that until your body has become fat-adapted (it doesn't sound like you're quite there yet), go cold turkey. Not because it will necessarily get you there any faster, or is meant to be elitist, or I don't believe in the 80-20 rule, but because its simply easier. This is completely n=1, and might not be entirely applicable to your situation, but I found that if I took a 'no compromise' approach it was far more effective, especially in the early stages of going primal. So when you are confronted with non-primal foods the answer is simply, "I don't eat that."

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I find myself only eating once a day now, and I love it!

Seriously!

It is an amazing feeling. But the point here is that as a result of eating primal, my body feels more full, satiated, and satisfied most of the time. This allows me to plan my meals more thoroughly and to not be thinking about the need to eat every three or four hours, or even every six! I can spend my mental efforts on more useful pursuits.

Not that I'm bragging, but you'll eventually adjust to your new lifestyle. You have to give it your all. A few pointers when just starting out... Some people find carbs in any form to be a gateway for them. That's why, while fruit and starchy tubers are fine on the diet, I would suggest you cut them out entirely, at least until your hunger levels and need for binging subside. You'll adjust, it just takes time!

I find that saturated fats make me feel more full than most other types do, so don't forget your fatty meats, and your coconut oil! Also, there are some non-starchy foods that tend to trigger the need to gorge for me, so I try to avoid them completely. you may want to do the same, at least starting out. Some of these foods for me include nuts, chocolate (even 100% unsweetened dark chocolate), fruits (raisins are the devil's creation ), and tomatoes. Seriously, if I eat one tomato, I can't stop and eat a crapload of those things in one sitting. Arguably good for me and light in calories, but again, I think it's the fructose in them that does it, just like the fruits.

Concentrate on fatty meats, eggs, cheese (consider dropping milk and other dairy at least initially), and non-starchy/fructose heavy vegetables at first, for cooking fats use coconut oil first, followed closely by tallow, lard, and them butter or ghee. Save your olive oil to drizzle on salads or top your already cooked meats with. Let your body fully adjust to the diet at a strict level initially, then you can play around with adding other foods.

It could also be a leptin deficiency, in which case you need to get that under control ASAP. The primal diet does a good job of doing so naturally, and I think without much changing, it can fix minor leptin deficiencies, but if your deficiency is more serious, you may want to play around with intermittent fasting, protein, and fat intake until you find what works for you. You may even consider trying a "leptin reset" protocol.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have binged as well... many times. Obviously ridding your house of these foods is the easiest answer, but if that is not an option or rather that is not your choice, then you will have to go it on pure will power. Not easily done. At all. I know it's hard to change your child's eating habbits, but easier now then after 29 more years of eating junk... I think you and can attest to that as much as anyone. After I got through the first three weeks I was pretty well off the junk. I kept It very simple, fish, meat, veggies, and some almonds and berries. I have since added some dairy and the occasional "treat" like a small piece of chocolate or a piece of cake at a birthday party (even though I always regret it later). And yes, the best thing about being primal is the fact that you can fast without becoming grumpy or hungry! That takes at least a few weeks though. Be strong! Good luck!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast