Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Serious help for binging!?! page 4

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I too have found that I can't handle fruit or high carb veggies until I don't WANT them all the time anymore - and then the candy etc is easy to pass up. I've been focusing on being very high fat and low carb these last two weeks and it's been fairly easy for me and I'm not easily tempted. Today I had a caramel apple (my one treat for my annual trip to the apple orchard) and I felt like I wanted to die for a good hour after. You get to the place where A) you don't want it as much and B) when you go off-track you are negatively reinforced. Which I think is good.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Like any addiction, bingeing on food is tough. Actually tougher on some levels because you can't "lock the tiger in the cage." IOW you can live without cigarettes, alcohol, etc., but you can't quit food (well you can, but you'll die.) It will require some discipline in the beginning. Depending on whom one believes, it takes anywhere from 21 to 42 days to break a habit.

There is lots of good advice in this thread. Ditch the triggers.

I battle bingeing when I drink, and I love to drink. Even bingeing on primal food (which my drunken self tries to do), it's no fun to wake up with shaking hands and raw oyster breath.
    "it's no fun to wake up with shaking hands and raw oyster breath"

I shall cherish this quote forever. Thank you for my first hard laugh of the day!! I also love to binge drink and some of the foods I have tried to eat a lot of while intoxicated crack me up. Ahhh... the "last vice" is the hardest to ditch
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Loukia Maria is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    I too have found that I can't handle fruit or high carb veggies until I don't WANT them all the time anymore - and then the candy etc is easy to pass up. I've been focusing on being very high fat and low carb these last two weeks and it's been fairly easy for me and I'm not easily tempted. Today I had a caramel apple (my one treat for my annual trip to the apple orchard) and I felt like I wanted to die for a good hour after. You get to the place where A) you don't want it as much and B) when you go off-track you are negatively reinforced. Which I think is good.
    I totally agree with A) and B). Especially with B). When you fall off the wagon countless times and you have all these remorses and self-loathness for binging, then here comes the time where you deny to repeat this tragedy or at least you have consciousness of what and how much you put in your mouth. At present I have significantly reduced this awful self-destructive habit and when the tiger wakes up I indulge with consciousness in primal food only (and it makes feel so full that I cannot binge anymore...). without outreaching my calory-target.
    The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive. To them…a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death.” Pearl Buck

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member
    I have to say that since the day I posted the original post requesting advice...I have been good to go! By that I mean: I took the advice on IF and started my very next day with BP coffee. And, I didn't eat until noon. Each day has been that way and has been so much more simple. I cannot fathom why it's so much easier, but it is. No food after 8 pm. BP coffee upon waking. I get out and walk 2-3 miles each morning and yoga a couple of times a week. Lunch around noon. Water with lemon to drink throughout the day. Dinner around 6. I have not fought any real cravings or hunger for 5 days and it has been wonderful. I did up my veggies and have not had any fruit to trigger and cravings though.

Loukia Maria is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    I have to say that since the day I posted the original post requesting advice...I have been good to go! By that I mean: I took the advice on IF and started my very next day with BP coffee. And, I didn't eat until noon. Each day has been that way and has been so much more simple. I cannot fathom why it's so much easier, but it is. No food after 8 pm. BP coffee upon waking. I get out and walk 2-3 miles each morning and yoga a couple of times a week. Lunch around noon. Water with lemon to drink throughout the day. Dinner around 6. I have not fought any real cravings or hunger for 5 days and it has been wonderful. I did up my veggies and have not had any fruit to trigger and cravings though.
    Since I've been Primal I have been gotten rid of cravings for carbs and sugar generally! That's exciting. And of course I have no carby or sugary food lying on my house, because once the binge-tiger wakes up I am pretty sure I will indulge on these no-Primal foods.
    What does the BP coffee consists of? BP=Blueprint Primal, I guess, right?
    The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this: A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive. To them…a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death.” Pearl Buck

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    @divadevilsmom that is so fantastic--just stay the course and keep it simple! THat is pretty much my rountine-I eat twice, usually at 1 or 2 and then again at 5 or 6. I love BP coffee! I just had my 2nd for the day.

The only issue with me is I need more portable food for the in the afternoons for when we are shuffling between ball practices. I used to pack a protein bar and a diet coke! I do eat a little fruit but I don't like to just eat fruit and spur any cravings. I try to stay away from dairy so a greek yogurt won't do. I might look at those tanaka bars. What I need to do is make my own jerky but I don't have the equipment yet. I guess I will keep bringing boiled eggs with me

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Hi relaygirl,

Not sure if this will help, but here's a link to making jerky in an oven. How to Make Beef Jerky: 7 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

You'll have to ignore some of the stuff she recommends as to flavoring (brown sugar, etc.), but the how-to of it seems pretty straight forward.

Jena, Not my last vice by any stretch. I'm chock full of them.

divadevilsmom is offline Junior Member
    Loukia Maria, BP coffee is Bulletproof coffee. There are several posts on here about it. It was originally based off Tibetan yak butter tea. It is coffee blended with butter and coconut oil or aminos. It's a way to get a good dose of calories and fat in while maintaining a modified fast. Helps with satiety.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    I don't know what your issue is-but for me it was leptin. I am a recovering food addict. I used to weigh 235. I weigh 145 now. Even when I lost weight every day it was an act of will to stay on my plan. I never felt satiety even with more protein and less carbs. I was a full out addict-seeking a dopamine fix from food regardless of whether I had eaten or not. I would struggle everyday with this. after about 3 weeks eating straight paleo I would give in and just eat tons and tons of ice cream or I would bake. I tried to incorporate my binge foods a little at time to not "deprive" myself but that would just spur the cravings more.

Now I finally found what works for me. I intermittant fast every day from 8:30 at night to noon. I do have 2 bulletproof coffees in that time. Then I end up eating a couple of good, whole, paleo meals during the eating phase. I feel fantastic and I never have that drive anymore to over consume. I also used to start my day with a hearty paleo breakfast and then I would think to myself how could I possibly still be hungry and driven to binge after eating breakfast and a good lunch.

By concentrating on lots of fat I lost all my urge to binge. I have tons of grass fed butter and CO everyday. I mix it in the coffee-I have about 1000 calories of fat a day. It is crazy. I actually leaned out even more which I did not think I could do.

The freedom from the binge is amazing.
    I have also found IF to work well for me. I fast from about 7PM-11AM every day. I have never been a breakfast eater, so I don't feel like I am depriving myself. Typically, breakfast will initiate a binge.

Try it?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post

The only issue with me is I need more portable food for the in the afternoons for when we are shuffling between ball practices. I used to pack a protein bar and a diet coke! I do eat a little fruit but I don't like to just eat fruit and spur any cravings. I try to stay away from dairy so a greek yogurt won't do. I might look at those tanaka bars. What I need to do is make my own jerky but I don't have the equipment yet. I guess I will keep bringing boiled eggs with me
    I bought Primal Pacs from a Seattle based company. They are grass-fed beef with small amounts of fruit (mango) and nuts (almond/macadamia) and fruit (cranberry?). Vacuum packaged in 2 sizes. I carry them in my bag or purse and/or leave one in the car when the weather isn't too hot. I maybe eat them 2 times/week when I get desperate.

Primal Pacs

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast