Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serious help for binging!?! page 3

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    @FlyingPig I just started eating berries--I find if I eat organic frozen berries it is very treat oriented for me. I had a whole bag of frozen strawberries yesterday and according to the label-it was 18 carbs for the whole bag (small bag from whole foods). Amazing.

I don't think everyone should eat fruit but I have to for the run. I try to only eat the more carby foods at night. This helps too-I won't get on a carb kick that will last all afternoon if I wait until after dinner to have the fruit.

I have backed off on my running a lot-I was a chronic runner. Now I am only half chronic! Half cross fit. But my times are suffering, but I am not so I look at it as a win. I used to be a 1:37-1:45 half marathoner. Now I am a 1:55-2:05 half marathoner. But I don't come home and binge. I enjoy the run a lot more. It took me several months to be able to run on the fat. It was not an easy transition.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Where's the veggies? Those meals are too small. Eat the whole avocado. Have a half lb. or so of some green non-starchy vegetable. Steamed broccoli with butter, kale sauteed with some bacon, whatever. Add some bulk, as well as nutrients, to your meals. And hardly any calories. Be truly full and perhaps the binging can stop. Try it, what have you got to lose.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    WOW this group of people is wonderful! All the support and advice with no negativity! I appreciate it all so much. I didn't realize there were so many others here who had similar problems.

So, I did not eat anything last night after posting. I went to bed at 10:30. Got up this morning at 6:30 and am having some bulletproof coffee as I type. Getting ready to get dressed and head off to the gym to get some movement going.

Dexy I am so sorry for mentioning the dump cake. It isn't worth it, I promise. It was gritty and grainy because the dry cake mix did soak in the way it was supposed to. Several times it was reminiscent of getting dirt or sand particles in the mouth, if that makes you feel better?
    That's amazing! Good job! One day at a time I know that whenever I do have a little cheat a small part of me thinks that I want more, more, more... but if I stick to the primal foods and stay very low carb the cravings almost never become an issue anymore. I don't know if this is good or bad, but if I do cheat, I try to do it later in the day so that I can just start fresh the next day. I think a lot of people may disagree with that, but it seems to work for me. At this point though I rarely cheat. It's just not worth it. And for me, the longer I eat this way, the more I view food as fuel and not pleasure. Which is really saying something for me... I have been very overweight for over a decade! Mostly due to being a former carb queen myself good luck! Feel free to message me anytime to vent your food frustrations!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I have a question for the posters who recommend IF. I, too, have trouble after 5 p.m. with hitting the "whatever" button. I do really well primally all day and then dinner and after dinner get to be a fiasco.

SO - I'm not ready to IF yet because I'm not fat-adapted yet but I was wondering how to IF in order to stop bad binging in the evenings (and so become fat-adapted) when you really need to be fat-adapted in order to IF comfortably? And then, I noticed most people IF'd in the morning/daytime and then have a warrior-like meal in the evenings, but if evenings are when the binging occurs would it make more sense to IF in the evening?

Sorry to keep this thread going but I thought my questions fit here better than starting a new thread.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I'm one of those people who eat once a day, with absolute ease.

I don't get hungry til around 7pm, and it's not a gnawing hunger. If I'm busy with work, I can hold off dinner til 10 or 11pm with no issues. I've even accidentally done 48 hour fasts with no issues (family member got a stroke and was too occupied in the hospital).

In a sense, I binge every day, but my binge is primal. I eat big and until I'm stuffed. But only on primal foods. The key for me is having enough saturated fat in your meal. No matter how hungry you are, there is only so much you can eat if a block of butter is drenched on your broccoli, or if you ate a big piece of liver/kidney/brain.

The satiety you get from fat feels different from if you ate a large amount of food. You can look at the most delicious ice cream or *insert your favorite trigger food* and you physically get repulsed by the thought of any food, regardless of what it is, going into your mouth.

I wake up in the morning, still feeling stuffed from dinner the night before. It lasts a long time. And I lift heavy 3 times a week and sprint every sunday (16 x 100m), all fasted, all feeling great.

It didn't happen overnight, but initially, the will to make the change and make the effort to only eat the right foods is of paramount importance. You gotta develop all the right habits. And as you already know, old habits are hard to change and new ones are hard to get going.

Good luck.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    I have a question for the posters who recommend IF. I, too, have trouble after 5 p.m. with hitting the "whatever" button. I do really well primally all day and then dinner and after dinner get to be a fiasco.

SO - I'm not ready to IF yet because I'm not fat-adapted yet but I was wondering how to IF in order to stop bad binging in the evenings (and so become fat-adapted) when you really need to be fat-adapted in order to IF comfortably? And then, I noticed most people IF'd in the morning/daytime and then have a warrior-like meal in the evenings, but if evenings are when the binging occurs would it make more sense to IF in the evening?

Sorry to keep this thread going but I thought my questions fit here better than starting a new thread.
    I IF sort of randomly, generally whenever it feels natural. I often skip breakfast or postpone it til 10am or so. When I sleep in a bit (7:30am) and am really busy, I can have 2 cups of coffee with milk early and then go until 5pm, no problem. I guess I am fat adapted even though some days IF is not happening for me. I don't know how else it could be so easy some days.

Regardless, I try to keep my calories under 500 before dinner. I am a former evening binger and leaving 900-1000 calories for that part of the day makes it manageable for me. I do try to keep carbs to around 30% of my calories (just over 100g), but I don't obsess over it. My top priority at this time is keeping a grip on my appetite - and avoiding processed foods. I feel like that's enough to work on at once. When I reach something closer to a healthy weight, I may expand my focus to other details.

You really need to figure out what will make it possible to get a grip on your bingeing. The answer may not be what you put in your stomach. It may be what you put in your head. The right solution is the one that works for you, not the one that works for anyone else.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Hi there! as for your 2 year old...perhaps start NOT buying some of those processed foods after you run out. Dig around for new ideas. I can say that is it FAR easier to change eating habits in a 2 year old than a 5 year old or 8 year old or 12 year old...and on and on. You practically have a clean slate with your child at this age...you can reinvent the diet with some effort. My kids eat cleaner than most but I started young too!

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are just starting Primal. You might need to go pretty strict for the first few weeks, and EXPECT the dreaded "carb flu" which is NORMAL... it is cravings, it is feeling a little crappy, and it is TEMPORARY.

Eat LOTS of healthy fats... stay away from fruit, sugars, dairy, sweeteners, and starchy veggies.. eat as much meat and healthy fats as you can, it will help with the cravings. After a few WEEKS, things should start feeling better... the cravings and urge to "cheat" will diminish. At that point, start shifting towards more "balanced" meals, with more veggies, and the occasional fruit for dessert.

I don't think you have any sort of "problem" with cravings... you sound pretty normal for a newbie.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Like any addiction, bingeing on food is tough. Actually tougher on some levels because you can't "lock the tiger in the cage." IOW you can live without cigarettes, alcohol, etc., but you can't quit food (well you can, but you'll die.) It will require some discipline in the beginning. Depending on whom one believes, it takes anywhere from 21 to 42 days to break a habit.

There is lots of good advice in this thread. Ditch the triggers.

I battle bingeing when I drink, and I love to drink. Even bingeing on primal food (which my drunken self tries to do), it's no fun to wake up with shaking hands and raw oyster breath.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks RaeVynn. I needed that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast