Thread: Digestive Disorders and Primal Diet? page

paleopoop is offline Junior Member

Digestive Disorders and Primal Diet?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there, I am in great great need of some input!

I have many digestive problems, which seem to be helped going primal BUT cause me problems that I think prevent me thriving on it as a lifestyle.

I suffer from fructose AND FAT malabsorption, small bowel bacterial overgrowth, bile salt malabsorption and Sphincter of Oddi Disfunction. As a result, although a 'healthy' weight I am very malnourished and tend to swing between eating extremes and my liver is generally very unhealthy and I store fat like a whale. I am on a lot of drugs (mainly metabolisers and antibiotics) which help to a degree, but I feel I struggle to eat enough fat- too much causes horrible results so It is hard to get the balance and I often stick to purely lean meats.

I crave sugars after my stomach has gone out of whack due to the bacterial overgrowth and this means I find it hard not to down pints and pints of milk/eat sugar straight from the jar. Not healthy, certainly doesn't make me happy.

I nearly died due to my digestive issues, had a BMI of 11 and was hospitalised for nearly a year. They informed me that I would never be able to eat solid food and I managed to ween myself off tube feeding onto solids (which I'm very proud of!) I feel a lot of my issues with sugar stem from suffering severe starvation but I find that I feel much BETTER when I get my fat levels sorted and I am running on fats.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to manage my diet better? I eat no-FODMAP prescribed diet, but a lot of the 'safe' foods I can't digest. I have in the past tried carb rotation, rotating higher carb days with higher fat days and that seemed to work (carbs coming from vegetables, mainly sweet potato) but I would probably need to do it in a more structured way for a longer period of time to work out if it's really effective.

My BMI is currently 22, nice and healthy with lots of muscle (I lift heavy *pride*) and BF of 18% but I am always in SO much pain and can be stuck in the toilet up to 40 times a day. I know my conditions are medical but I feel that optimal diet manipulation can't fail to help, if I can stabilise the extremes then the middle ground will surely be a happier place!? Although I have plenty of good ideas, my history of starvation (and the memories of how HORRENDOUS that was) and my bodily functions (my transit time can be less than an hour- which I've had doctors tell me they thought was impossible until they witnessed it) often send me to eating extremes (not to mention a lot of mental turmoil) I am nervous of eating too little, I am nervous of eating too much. Although my low weight was not due to mental health issues (i.e. I didn't have anorexia) starvation does leave mental scars that are hard to heal and make finding consistency in eating hard work.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I think these problems are too deep and serious, and it's beyond suggestions on a message board. I'd suggest you need someone really good to work with.

Possibly the Paleo Physicians Network.

Or this lady is an expert on SIBO:

Dr Siebecker's Bio - SIBO- Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Hey- I kind of have the same issues, or at least I just found out some more details about my conditions. Apparently I have protein deficiency and fat malabsorbtion too, and cannot digest sugars well. I was told that the key to all of this is really good digestive enzymes, all the plant based ones used to digest those things (lipase, protease for protein etc). I would look into this seriously if I were you. Do you have any good practionners to work with in your area?

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I think these problems are too deep and serious, and it's beyond suggestions on a message board. I'd suggest you need someone really good to work with.

Possibly the Paleo Physicians Network.

Or this lady is an expert on SIBO:

Dr Siebecker's Bio - SIBO- Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth
    +1